Problem with Infinite Veranda, on the New Edge

tapemann

I think in a few years time the decision to put so many IV cab8ns on its ship at the  expense of regular verandas will be judged as a stratetigic error by Celebrity. 

Dont get that big port side ramp either - long walkway to what?  a jacuzzi and the suite area 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:08 AM, derekjp47 said:

I’ve yet to see a question or comment regarding the balconies, if they can connect to the one next door like the traditional balconies do now.

The balcony of a SV can be opened to the balcony of an adjacent cabin.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, Plum Happy said:

I don't understand the outcry.  If you don't like the infinite balcony room, then book the regular veranda balcony room.  They didn't do away with them, they are still on the ship.

But relatively few of them - and, other than the SVs, in the worst locations.

Looks like the infinite veranda is bombing out.  I do think it is important to vocalize as they will make some changes

on the next ships.  I guess if they darken the French doors it will reveal how small the cabin actually is.  Looks like a mess so far.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:49 PM, tapemann said:

There is only One Room Darkening Blind. If Someone is up Early and wants to Sit on the Veranda and they open the Blind the Whole Room is flooded this light. CEL say they have NO plans to add a 2nd Blind so someone can sit on the Veranda and still keep the cabin Dark in the AM.

Seems an easy fix for the traveler who wants the best of both worlds.  Light weight mylar or cloth (light dampening or blocking) could be easily hung on those french doors with magnets.  (assuming they are a magnetic metal)  Or tape.  I doubt any cabin steward would remove this.  (retrofitting Apex and Edge with thin roll up curtains would be trivially easy for Celebrity.  That doesn't mean they would do this though.)  While I like to sleep in on days off at home, on a cruise I like to (or actually have to) rise early to secure my poolside location, so this will never pose a problem for us.

Others have mentioned that the french doors need to be closed in order for the AC to function in the room.  I can understand the logic there... some idiot would leave the verandah window open along with the french doors and the Edge would effectively be trying to cool the Caribbean if they set the AC on.  The smart design would have been to let the Verandah window control whether the AC was on or off based on whether it was open or closed... but then, there's probably a logical reason why they couldn't do that.  Again though, there might be a way to over-ride the french door AC control (for those smart enough to keep the verandah window closed)... perhaps a toggle switch or light sensor in the door frame?

Again though, I doubt this would be a big deal for us.  I don't ever leave regular doors on my balconies open at night or in port.  (God only knows what sort of deadly Caribbean bug can get into your cabin!  LOL)  

I do imagine that these balconies make it more difficult for others in adjacent cabins peaking around and into your cabin though?  I think it's incredibly rude when people do this!

Edited by Cruising Forever!
  • Like 2

Can anyone comment on this. I believe I read a comment by someone that was on the ship in an infinite Veranda that when the captain pulled into port he had the ability to put the window up and lock it. If that is the case what’s the point of having a veranda if you can’t have the window open while sailing in and out of port.?

Norma

2 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

….

I do imagine that these balconies make it more difficult for others in adjacent cabins peaking around and into your cabin though?  I think it's incredibly rude when people do this!

I haven't seen anyone talk about this, but is it more difficult?  But be honest, if you are standing on the balcony rail and looking forward, backward and maybe down you will see inside surrounding balconies  without trying.  If the curtain is either all up or down and people are really utilizing the balcony space as living space, there may be more exposed.

5 hours ago, Nymich said:

Looks like the infinite veranda is bombing out.  I do think it is important to vocalize as they will make some changes

on the next ships.  I guess if they darken the French doors it will reveal how small the cabin actually is.  Looks like a mess so far.

I wonder about the size of the inside cabins.  Are the inside cabins the same size as the IVs without the balcony?  If the insides actually have more real cabin space, maybe they are more attractive.

13 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

I think in a few years time the decision to put so many IV cab8ns on its ship at the  expense of regular verandas will be judged as a stratetigic error by Celebrity. 

Dont get that big port side ramp either - long walkway to what?  a jacuzzi and the suite area 

Maybe some IVs can be converted to  real balconies, albeit small ones that do not protrude,,!

Not sure if that would be technically  or financially feasible  on EDGE but on APEX, they may still have time.  Those  balconies would be very popular!

10 hours ago, Nymich said:

A little early to say it is bombing out.  Very few people have actually experienced them.  When things change, people have to a tendency to initially complain.  I imagine if we could go back in time, when Royal Caribbean introduced the Royal Promenade on the Voyager class, people complained.  However obviously more liked it that didn't.

Also, just because a concept is introduced on one class of ship doesn't mean it will be retained of future classes.  Royal Carribean is still building Oasis class ships even after introducing the Quantum class which is vastly different.

It seems some of the complaints can be rectified in changing out some of the soft goods adding a curtain.  These would be simple to do on new builds.

In regards to if the IV are true balcony, with the doors closed and the window open I consider it a balcony cabin.  One person can be inside enjoying the air conditioning while the other person can be outside.  To me that is balcony cabin, maybe not the best balcony but still a balcony

I am following "live from Edge" threads.  It will be interesting what is said about the ship, now that she is getting in her regurlar routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

A little early to say it is bombing out.  Very few people have actually experienced them.  When things change, people have to a tendency to initially complain.  I imagine if we could go back in time, when Royal Caribbean introduced the Royal Promenade on the Voyager class, people complained.  However obviously more liked it that didn't.

Also, just because a concept is introduced on one class of ship doesn't mean it will be retained of future classes.  Royal Carribean is still building Oasis class ships even after introducing the Quantum class which is vastly different.

It seems some of the complaints can be rectified in changing out some of the soft goods adding a curtain.  These would be simple to do on new builds.

In regards to if the IV are true balcony, with the doors closed and the window open I consider it a balcony cabin.  One person can be inside enjoying the air conditioning while the other person can be outside.  To me that is balcony cabin, maybe not the best balcony but still a balcony

I am following "live from Edge" threads.  It will be interesting what is said about the ship, now that she is getting in her regurlar routine.

The thing is for us the balcony is a huge part of our cruise, we have a long breakfast on it every morning, come back to it in the afternoon, and have drinks on it before going back out for our evening meal. On the next level Celebrity ships we don’t want “ maybe not the best balcony cabin”. We want one better or no worse than one we are used to. The cabins as a whole just look like scaled down, inferior versions of those on the s class ships and even worse next to the cabins on the hump with the extra large balconies you can book now.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 3

Onboard Edge now staying in an IV. It has pros and cons. However, the lack of a curtains at the folding doors is such an obvious flaw, with such easy fix, that I predict it will be fixed in a year.

The main problem for me is that there is no way to have filtered sunlight in the room. For example, in port now with another cruise ship docked beside us. I have two choices: 1) Have a view out my balcony at the balcony opposite us (and vice versa), or 2) lower the blackout blinds and have no sunlight at all.

This isn’t going to work for many people. But easy to fix.

13 hours ago, Nymich said:

I really doubt you will see anything structurally changed on Apex.    When planning a major project like this the designs were frozen month's if not a year ago.  Remember the cabins are built as modules and just slip into place.   I would think that most if not all have either already been manufactured or are in the process of being manufactured.  

I'm by no means an expert on this but I don't see how they could do things like replace the shutters with drapes -  You have the bi-fold doors that would be in the way. 

Celebrity may change it after they get enough lawsuits from the ships that are docked across from them for the scary views that prevent their passengers from enjoying sitting on their balcony 😱

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅.  

Edited by miched

4 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Onboard Edge now staying in an IV. It has pros and cons. However, the lack of a curtains at the folding doors is such an obvious flaw, with such easy fix, that I predict it will be fixed in a year.

The main problem for me is that there is no way to have filtered sunlight in the room. For example, in port now with another cruise ship docked beside us. I have two choices: 1) Have a view out my balcony at the balcony opposite us (and vice versa), or 2) lower the blackout blinds and have no sunlight at all.

This isn’t going to work for many people. But easy to fix.

Oh my. Hard to believe none of the designers thought about this before.

1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Lack of cruise experience or common sense leads to this!

Maybe they never imagined a ship being docked in a port !

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

Lack of cruise experience or common sense leads to this!

Maybe they never imagined a ship being docked in a port !

Forget about the designers, what about LPP and the senior staff at Celebrity?  The IV's were a key element of the Edge and there had to be a lot of reviews of this design, likely including 3-D simulation, and no one challenged this design.  Where the critical reviews of this design?  I would hope the Board of Directors holds LPP and the Senior Staff accountable for these obvious failures.

3 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Maybe they thought about it, but they didn’t really care.  “We have to leave the inner window unshaded because it just looks so much better that way, darling.”  Actual use of the balcony is not important, but looks are everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Forget about the designers, what about LPP and the senior staff at Celebrity?  The IV's were a key element of the Edge and there had to be a lot of reviews of this design, likely including 3-D simulation, and no one challenged this design.  Where the critical reviews of this design?  I would hope the Board of Directors holds LPP and the Senior Staff accountable for these obvious failures.

4 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

You know what? My girlfriend went on the Norwegian Epic and she said that the bathrooms were see through. Sounds like the Edge and Epic are a match made in Heaven! :classic_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

You know what? My girlfriend went on the Norwegian Epic and she said that the bathrooms were see through. Sounds like the Edge and Epic are a match made in Heaven! :classic_biggrin:

Actually its funny you bring up NCL...... what I kept thinking of with the open design of the specialty restaurants was when I was on the Breakaway....they had the same design.

10 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

I seem to recall an early sketch for Edge with glass block walls between the bathroom and the cabin.  Evidently there was an outbreak of common sense about that idea!

To CruisingForever, I am not about to bring a roll of mylar or magnets and tape.  That may seem to be an “easy fix” to you but not for us!  They should design the ships correctly in the first place, and if not, they should find a way to fix it that doesnt require me to pack extra devices 

• Like 5

I thought there was a test cabin on one of the ships with an IV balcony.  For anyone that has seen it or has some pictures, did it have the folding doors without any curtains and only the one shade on the outer window?  Did it have the same tunnel effect as others have discussed?