Reviews Coming In...Anyone Cancel their Edge Sailing?

MaggieAtSea

Posted last week after seeing the videos of our Edge Villa...stunningly disappointed in the room/veranda layout of the exorbitantly priced villa.  While we have taken in the positive reviews, and are grateful to all those who take time to post their experience, we are concerned changes in suite dining, the price of drinks, the nature of the entertainment on board, but mostly that darn veranda, will have us disappointed we didn’t return that same week to either our spacious, freshly “Revolutionized” penthouse on the Summit or one of our favorite suites on the S class....either at a FRACTION of the cost!  Reached out to our TA today to confirm options.  Have we fallen and hit our heads, or is anyone else ruminating similarly?

• Like 1

Look, many are used to a certain thing. This ship is a huge departure in terms of price and fit and form. I recall concerns when the first S Class ship was rolled out, sort of like this, but not ending up like this.

It's a different time, a different world. In the past brand loyalty was very, very strong, the majority of Members were willing to give it a go and see.

I don't think that's the case this time. 

• Like 1

We cancelled half of our b2b.  Decided that [even at the non-crazy prices from booking in the first few hours] one week was probably going to be enough.  Now that prices have gone through the roof we can book on real luxury lines with balcony loungers and the absence of loud music everywhere.  I'm expecting that our January cruise is one and done for Edge.

We are committed to our January AQ class cruise...hoping we will find enough to like to go forward with our Nov Sunset veranda cruise.,  

Ship is beautiful..cabins seem  awkward  and disappointing, but we can deal with that,,, But we want to make sure there are spaces without the flashy lights,, loud music and  overall wierdness!  I think we may succeed,,hope so!  

But definitely not booking anything else on X at this time..,too iffy! They  made  cruising on EDGE  in the image of Royal C and  may eventually  ruin the M and S class ships...

Edited by hcat

Oddly, we are thinking of canceling our April cruise in an AQ cabin.  I started to think about how hot, humid and uncomfortable the IV cabin will be on a Caribbean cruise with the window down at that time of year.  I fear we’ll  basically be sailing in an ocean view room.  The cost is way too high for that type of accommodation.

Katie

• Like 1

No, I read the reviews and to me at least some of the comments are lacking substance. My only issue is how I may feel in an IV but I refuse to make judgement based on how others felt and I will decide if it is for me when I experience it. I dont think the furniture looks cheap or dorm like as others have said but I like minimalistic decor and how sleek it looks. I maybe in tge minority but I feel like this is 1000 times better than S class cabin decor because to me they feel dated and lets not even talk about M class. 

Entertainment seems odd but I welcome that over the boring never changing Broadway type shows.

If more reviews come out and have negative comments about food, service, drinks then those I think are real issues but I have not seen that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oville said:

Oddly, we are thinking of canceling our April cruise in an AQ cabin.  I started to think about how hot, humid and uncomfortable the IV cabin will be on a Caribbean cruise with the window down at that time of year.  I fear we’ll  basically be sailing in an ocean view room.  The cost is way too high for that type of accommodation.

Katie

Hi Karie

But the Spa sounds amazing.. if you got a good price for AQ compared to current pricing,  it might be a good chance to try BLU and the AQ thermal area,,....plus Relaxation room, front area of spa, etc,   My AQ cruises are usually spa and rekaxation vacations..hoping  for good reviews of the thermal suites etc

,,Sorry no T pool, apparently,

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We cancelled half of our b2b.  Decided that [even at the non-crazy prices from booking in the first few hours] one week was probably going to be enough.  Now that prices have gone through the roof we can book on real luxury lines with balcony loungers and the absence of loud music everywhere.  I'm expecting that our January cruise is one and done for Edge.

That’s pretty much the way we’re feeling too.  We booked the January 6 sailing while on a cruise in January, 2018.  At the time, I thought it was pretty expensive but we decided to invest the extra $$ on a more-or-less one time event just to experience the new ship and satisfy our curiousity.  To me, the whole Edge thing has been over-hyped and initial reviews have been all over the place.  I’m thinking my IV cabin will be interesting enough for a week (as will the ship itself), but that will scratch the itch enough.

• Like 1

Can I suggest that we take the initial negative reviews somewhat lightly at this point?  They are kind of expected.  Pretty much every new ship (especially new in class) launched starts with negative reviews on CC.  Perhaps it is just the months to years of expectations that cannot possibly be met.  Or perhaps the evolutionary changes are too much of a departure for some of us.  Or there are those who just cannot wait to be negative about something.  I am not discouraged and plan to do my own evaluation on our Jan 20th sailing.  Then I will decide to book again or not.  I must say that if I paid attention to the plethora of negative reviews on CC about Celebrity ships (or any other line) and cancelled cruises, I would have missed out on many many great experiences!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a cruise out of Barcelona booked in an Edge Celebrity Suite June 22. Originally I had booked a Caribbean cruise over my 15yo son’s Springbreak in April at opening day prices but just could not get excited over the itinerary. We re-booked the Edge Med cruise while on board the Summit in July at an even higher cost. I choke every time I think of making the final payment in March...it will blow our travel budget for the year. We have sailed in a Royal Suite on the Summit twice (we also had a similar suite on the Disney Magic) so it’s hard to give that up, but any higher category than Celebrity Suite on the Edge is simply out of our financial reach. I hate that Celebrity has a 2-tiered suite system—too many class divisions as it is. After stalking these boards over the past 2 weeks (I generally don’t get deterred by the negative reviews, but pay attention to details that matter to us), I really have to re-evaluate whether I can justify the cost. Traveling as a party of 3 (61yo me, 64 yo DH and 15yo son), we prefer separate sleeping quarters and 2 toilets/sinks if not 2 full baths. We spend a lot less time on our balconies than some (DH hates eating outdoors) and are always seeking shade—DH and DS sunburn and I dislike heat—so I think we could deal with an IV rather than traditional balcony and lack of loungers/tables on balcony is not our issue. However, the “convertible sofa” in the Celebrity Suite looks like a trundle. No way my 6ft 235 lb son will be comfortable on either half of that! Plus the bedroom door/wall is translucent-not great for sound and light control (DS is a night owl who sleeps in whenever permitted like most teenagers). I hope to re-book for the same cruise a midship S3 (along MC track) if any of the connecting Deluxe Interiors were available to book with it (TA is checking this-none available on website). If access to the Retreat/Luminae for the Interior occupant is an issue, I’m hoping they would allow my son to be booked in that room—he’ll prefer spending his time on board at the Cellar, main pool and OV cafe anyway. DH and myself wouldn’t mind trying out the 4 dining rooms if we want to eat together as a family as well. If that can’t be done I think booking 2 side by side AQ cabins is another way to go—swapping Spa/Blu for Retreat/Luminae access works just as well for us. Either option would give us fully separate sleeping, 2 full baths for a much lower cost (even adding on Go Best and Single Supplement for one room) than Celebrity Suite. In the future, unless Edge and Apex (as well as fleetwide higher tier suites) prices come down, I’ll be exploring other cruise lines. All that being said, I can’t give up checking out the Edge for myself just this once!

We booked our first ever "suite"...Sky Suite S3 the second day the ship went on sale. My biggest pre-sailing regret to the veranda chairs... With those low backs I guess taking and afternoon nap on one is out of the question. Does Celebrity feel that people don't want to be comfortable?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Oville said:

Katie

We were in a AQ this week and personally felt the IV was not of value added.  Awkward  and constant furniture shuffling between  1)sitting out there, 2)allowing for the shade clearance and 3)closing the bifold doors.  Too much effort.  Had the designers allowed 3 more inches of verandah depth,  then all would be good.  To keep it balanced,the bifold doors do keep the solar heat out of the rest of the cabin though.  Another positive of the IV is the noise from other cabins is zero.   We have been on many other cruises where the neighboring pax on the verandahs made a lot of noise that carried into our cabin through the sliders.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

We booked our first ever "suite"...Sky Suite S3 the second day the ship went on sale. My biggest pre-sailing regret to the veranda chairs... With those low backs I guess taking and afternoon nap on one is out of the question. Does Celebrity feel that people don't want to be comfortable?

The chairs are actually comfortable but not nap worthy.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Can I suggest that we take the initial negative reviews somewhat lightly at this point?  They are kind of expected.  Pretty much every new ship (especially new in class) launched starts with negative reviews on CC.  Perhaps it is just the months to years of expectations that cannot possibly be met.  Or perhaps the evolutionary changes are too much of a departure for some of us.  Or there are those who just cannot wait to be negative about something.  I am not discouraged and plan to do my own evaluation on our Jan 20th sailing.  Then I will decide to book again or not.  I must say that if I paid attention to the plethora of negative reviews on CC about Celebrity ships (or any other line) and cancelled cruises, I would have missed out on many many great experiences!

Hello TeeRick, As a seasoned Celebrity passenger, and cruise critic board reader, it is, indeed, typically good counsel to do one's own assessment while digesting the reviews of others.  However, when the new style of cabin receives scathing reviews and is coming in at 3x the rate of the Penthouse cabin of recent prior sailings, it begs a bit more serious attention to the photos, videos, and reviews.  

43 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Not considering cancelling our cruise but seriously considering changing IV stateroom. Our IV has the bed by the bathroom, so not worrying so much about the space. More concerned about various door locking issues that have been identified.

What are the door locking issues ?

We have no intention of canceling our cruise based on reviews to date. While there are many negative comments about the Infinite Veranda staterooms (in which we are booked) there are also many positive comments. I believe some aspects of Edge will disappoint us (compared with things we like about S-class or M-class ships), but I also believe some aspects of Edge will enchant us. I think we would be wise to keep in mind that she’s a new ship, with a new crew. I’m willing to give Celebrity time to react to initial reviews, and finish getting things sorted. That said, I’d be over the moon if they at least added curtains for the bi-fold doors, and a second Tom-Tom, to each Infinite Veranda stateroom before April😂 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

i am on Edge currently and will be the December 9th sailing as well. I think the art and common spaces are quite beautiful. The Retreat Lounge is spacious, great gym,  nice spa, and the thermal suite if you are in aqua class is very nice. Did a one day pass, and enjoyed it. 

We booked on opening day, and splurged. 

I have seen most of the cabin categories, and I think you have to decide to be open minded and see for yourself. So if the changes are great, some head scratchers, and some  would be no gos. 

VTcruising had the right idea of taking the rocking chair out on the balcony with the small table with the padded top as a footstool. I sat in one in a friend’s cabin and it was very comfortable. 

One friend in a sky suite 3 behind the magic carpet liked it, another would not book it again. 

There were no pictures of the furniture for my balcony before the TA cruises. The balcony we have on deck 12 is completely shaded by the overhang, and the furniture is not to my personal preference(no loungers). I would book the suite again in cold weather locals, but not for the Caribbean. 

They are tweaking things as they go along, and there will be changes so it might solve some of the initial concerns. Eden is quiet during the day, and a lovely way to view the wake from different levels. They kept the Martini Bar at a lower volume level until around 10 pm. It may still be too loud for some. The Rooftop Garden area is lovely and we have eaten at the Grill and lEden as well. I did not like the Show in Eden, but that  is again a personal preference.  The  show Hype with Marcus Terrell was.good, and good singers around the different ship venues. 

I think if people are wanting a completely open balcony, then they probably will not like an Infinite Veranda. 

I did move one of Edge Caribbean sailings to another Celebrity ship next fall, but I am keeping a transatlantic, just in a different cabin. 

There is a lot to like about Edge. After they sort some of the issues hopefully shortly, it will be a better experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Tee - Kudos to your for your open mind and willingness. It's not for all of us though and there has been very informative and unbiased information, and in particular Marilyn's, bless her for all her gargantuan efforts to get us the real deal. 

I have a final payment coming up which allows me the opportunity to still observe and potentially cancel and defer this ship until such time that the dust settles and I am comfortable with 'how it all turns out' and if it seems like a fit for us. 

If the destinations were other than where they are, since we have been to all of these ports over and over and over in recent times, it might be more compelling than just trying a new ship. 

I need a cruise just like eveyone else, but maybe not this one, and maybe not this time. 

I hope you have a blast. I'd try hands down Raw on 5. 

I feel fortunate to have a TA to look forward to at the end of April.  This 15 day cruise is with cruise buddies...two couples that we met cruising the Adriatic.  It will be an experience for sure, and we all booked the very first day, so prices were not sky high yet.  Also, I too like to keep an open mind, and having an elderly parent to assist leaves very little time for vacation, especially with emergency and hospital visits at any time.  My DH and I are just happy to get away.

Honestly, I do not think Eden for dinner is an experience to enjoy, but one couple in our group wants to do it, so my mind will be in a good place that evening.  However, I know returning will not be in my plans.  Since a suite is booked for this cruise, I will certainly enjoy all of those experiences, as I love the extra perks etc.  The wake is my favorite part of a cruise, and I hope Celebrity will find its way to have  better and more appropriate furniture.  After all, why have theat huge balcony with two dinky chairs and tiny table...that is my disappointment about Edge...

I will take this cruise with a grain of salt, but booking another will not happen if I do not feel the price is worth it!  So, I will not know until I try...my suite is less than half of what it is priced at today!  Yep...all the hype with supply and demand.  Yes, I got caught up in the hysteria!

Edited by Lastdance

Oh my , those reviews are really like a slap with a cold towel- never experienced that with a brand new ship. With their prices sky high they should get their bearings- and quick at that!

I planed to sail the NYE cruise- but thought to wait unitl the first hype is over!

Those reviews are written by experienced cruisers- so not from " bottle half empthy " people.

Would I cancel a booked cruise because of those bad first reviews- no I would not- always good to see for oneself- but with their prices- better to wait a bit! What surprised me most are the bad reviews fo those infinite balconys - they looked to great in the pictures.

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I feel fortunate to have a TA to look forward to at the end of April.  This 15 day cruise is with cruise buddies...two couples that we met cruising the Adriatic.  It will be an experience for sure, and we all booked the very first day, so prices were not sky high yet.  Also, I too like to keep an open mind, and having an elderly parent to assist leaves very little time for vacation, especially with emergency and hospital visits at any time.  My DH and I are just happy to get away.

Honestly, I do not think Eden for dinner is an experience to enjoy, but one couple in our group wants to do it, so my mind will be in a good place that evening.  However, I know returning will not be in my plans.  Since a suite is booked for this cruise, I will certainly enjoy all of those experiences, as I love the extra perks etc.  The wake is my favorite part of a cruise, and I hope Celebrity will find its way to have  better and more appropriate furniture.  After all, why have theat huge balcony with two dinky chairs and tiny table...that is my disappointment about Edge...

I will take this cruise with a grain of salt, but booking another will not happen if I do not feel the price is worth it!  So, I will not know until I try...my suite is less than half of what it is priced at today!  Yep...all the hype with supply and demand.  Yes, I got caught up in the hysteria!

It's good that you have an Edge cruise to look forward to in April! The views of the wake and the wonderful suite life will do you good!

The Eden experience will probably be a hoot with other couples. You just have to have the right mindset and then you will have fun and a story to tell forever. I didn't think we would go back, but it would be fun to go again with our cruise buddies in January. The food is actually very good (except for some of the rather weird items they brought between courses).🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I feel fortunate to have a TA to look forward to at the end of April.  This 15 day cruise is with cruise buddies...two couples that we met cruising the Adriatic.  It will be an experience for sure, and we all booked the very first day, so prices were not sky high yet. 

Fifteen nights to explore and experience a beautiful new ship with dear friends. Priceless😊

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh my , those reviews are really like a slap with a cold towel- never experienced that with a brand new ship. 

I bought into the hype on MSC Seaside last year and sailed in January. The initial reviews were terrible and they were correct (I haven't looked recently to see if they are still bad). However MSC had paying passengers on the initial transatlantic and many things were still unfinished on the trip over (I thought it was still bad with them completed).  I made (and kept) my Edge reservations on the assumption that Celebrity would do a better job than MSC.  Hopefully I made the right decision!

Edited by MisterBill99