Don't flame me but ...

eastender

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I would agree that it has not been well received,  probably the length.  What I've never understood is when folks say they can't follow the story.  The opening monologue explains the story. 

Maybe my hearing is beginning to fail but I had a hard time understanding what was being said/sung. That made it hard for me to follow the story. 

Never had this problem on any other show in ships or on Broadway.

I realize I'm likely in the minority here, but I've been a huge fan of CATS ever since I saw the original Broadway cast in 1982. I've seen it countless times: on Broadway, national tours and on the Oasis. Every time we sail Oasis I see every performance. I'm the one silently singing along with the cast to every song. I know it's not for everyone, and that's fine - I'm just so grateful for the opportunity to see it as often as I have the past few years. I'm looking forward to seeing my final few performances on our next two Oasis cruises, since I expect the show to change once she goes into drydock. 

DH, 2 girlfriends, and I saw Cats on Oasis last year but left during intermission. We sat way in the back and, since DH does not like musicals anyway, we all decided to cut out. The same girlfriend and I will be on Oasis again in February, and I was debating whether or not to try to just go see the 2nd half. My girlfriend has no desire to go back, so, after reading this thread, I think I will return to see Cats for the whole show and sit in the front on the aisle for a different experience! I really enjoy live performances, so will look forward to it!

29 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

DH, 2 girlfriends, and I saw Cats on Oasis last year but left during intermission. We sat way in the back and, since DH does not like musicals anyway, we all decided to cut out. The same girlfriend and I will be on Oasis again in February, and I was debating whether or not to try to just go see the 2nd half. My girlfriend has no desire to go back, so, after reading this thread, I think I will return to see Cats for the whole show and sit in the front on the aisle for a different experience! I really enjoy live performances, so will look forward to it!

Dont sit to far forward.  The stage is very wide, you'll have difficulty catching it all.  I like about 2/3 the way back on the left side of the left aisle.

18 hours ago, jdg623 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing my final few performances on our next two Oasis cruises, since I expect the show to change once she goes into drydock. 

Are the shows on for 5 years or longer?

Oasis is in Europe and then has her drydock in 2019, but in 2020 Anthem has her drydock before the European season....wonder if WWRY will be swapped out? 

30 minutes ago, little britain said:

Oasis is in Europe and then has her drydock in 2019, but in 2020 Anthem has her drydock before the European season....wonder if WWRY will be swapped out? 

Better get TA tickets ASAP.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Adventure has had some shows aboard since the first day she set sail.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:34 PM, John&LaLa said:

I would agree that it has not been well received,  probably the length.  What I've never understood is when folks say they can't follow the story.  The opening monologue explains the story.  

They could cut Jennyanydots, Gus, Brustopher Jones, and Skimbleshanks to get it down to 90 minutes.  It would still flow. Sir ALW probably said no.

For me it wasn't being able to follow the story, I had my wife with me who has seen it 4 times.  To me following the story was like watching a snail while standing on a skateboard on a steep down slope.

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

For me it wasn't being able to follow the story, I had my wife with me who has seen it 4 times.  To me following the story was like watching a snail while standing on a skateboard on a steep down slope.

CATS is really not about any "story" - the plot is admittedly virtually nonexistent and loosely created for the sake of the show. (Jellicle cats meet once a year at the Jellicle Ball where we all rejoice...) The play is based on a book of poems called Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, written by TS Eliot as a children's book. It's a lovely book and most of the poems have been translated into songs in the show. If you're looking for a plot of course you'll be disappointed.  I've seen this show at least 50 times over the past 36 years. I enjoy it for the music, the songs, the dancing and the pleasure it brings me; yes and the memories of all those 50+ past shows....

• Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 6:22 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Don’t you think Oasis will get a new show after drydock?

So I have no way of verifying this but I was told by nextcruise manager on oasis that the show will not change as they have a contract to perform cats for a specific number of years. 

2 minutes ago, Lmm79 said:

So I have no way of verifying this but I was told by nextcruise manager on oasis that the show will not change as they have a contract to perform cats for a specific number of years. 

However, Royal does have the ability to switch CATS to different ships within that contract.

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

However, Royal does have the ability to switch CATS to different ships within that contract.

That's a really big stage.  Limited choices.

Never done the backstage tour.  I may do that next month

Edited by John&LaLa