Oasis - CATS

Treacher1

Not sure when their contract is up, but the cast that came on last spring was supposed to be the last ones doing the full Broadway show.  It is going to change to a shortened version with the next cast after that, which may have happened already because I'm pretty sure it's been at least 6 months since they signed on.  

13 minutes ago, NanciRDH said:

Not sure when their contract is up, but the cast that came on last spring was supposed to be the last ones doing the full Broadway show.  It is going to change to a shortened version with the next cast after that, which may have happened already because I'm pretty sure it's been at least 6 months since they signed on.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I love CATS and have seen it countless times since I first saw the original Broadway cast in 1982. It's been such a thrill for me to see the whole show on Oasis the past few years, and will be so disappointed if they shorten it for our next two sailings. I would expect another show to come onboard after the drydock. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they contract the Broadway shows for 5 years to coincide with drydocks. At least with the Oasis class that seems to have been the case: Oasis started with Hairspray, then went to CATS; Allure started with Chicago, then went to Mamma Mia. Remains to be seen what happens going forward.

28 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

Any idea if CATS will leave Oasis of the Seas by the time she salts out of Cape Liberty in 2020?  A change would be nice!

Nothing publicly announced by the cruise line.

I saw Cats on the Oasis and loved it. During the intermission 1/3 if the people walked out, It is not your typical broadway show. The music and sets are amazing; but for those who do not understand it is based on poems by TS Elliott it is confusing.

14 minutes ago, Ken Greco said:

I saw Cats on the Oasis and loved it. During the intermission 1/3 if the people walked out, It is not your typical broadway show. The music and sets are amazing; but for those who do not understand it is based on poems by TS Elliott it is confusing.

Agree.

We walked out for that reason.  We saw the show on Oasis  back in October 2018,

Even though the show  and set were great, I thought it was hard to follow.

5 hours ago, torpeedo said:

We are in the we don't like it camp.  I wish we could get Jersey Boys but I see it's on NCL..

We were on Oasis 2 years ago and went to Cats. A lady from New York was sitting beside us and said that she had seen the original Broadway show, but didn't like it. She decided to give it another chance. Well, she fell asleep before the intermission and were left before we fell asleep. Jersey Boys would be great.

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, NanciRDH said:

I am not sure where you heard this, but when Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber signed the contract with RC, allowing them to perform CATS on the ship, he specified that it had to be performed exactly as he wrote it, without change of any kind.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not sure where you heard this, but when Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber signed the contract with RC, allowing them to perform CATS on the ship, he specified that it had to be performed exactly as he wrote it, without change of any kind.

From another Oasis entertainment crew member.  They heard it from the Cats cast that they were to be the last cast to do the entire show.  This was late last spring.  

Was quoted on another thread a few weeks ago by one of the more respected constant posters on here.  We all assumed it was true.

Possible re negotiated?

The shortened Vegas version is currently playing on Oasis, it did start with the most recent cast a few months ago, and will stay as this until the upcoming drydock.  Mama Mia is rumored to be the next show installed at that time.  

• Like 2

The problem with Cats is that the average cruiser wants Broadway shows that are middle of the road and not ones like Cats. Traditional "boy meets girl" boy loses girl and boy gets girl back has been the staple of successful shows on Broadway. West Side Story would be ideal if RCCL could get the rights to it. I saw Chicago at sea and I thought the did a fabulous job although some of the themes were not for young children

On 12/23/2018 at 12:10 AM, Merion_Mom said:

So did you hear that from Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber or Royal Caribbean?