4 countries; 4 currencies - what do people do?

Joanne G.

A friend and I are booked on the Sapphire Princess departing from Southampton with stops in Belgium, Denmark, and Norway.    We will be in London for a few days, so obviously we need a supply of British pounds.   I expect a future trip or two to a Euro zone country, so I will get some euros for Belgium and not worry about any unused cash.  But we aren't sure about cash needs in Denmark and Norway.  We have booked Princess excursions, so we won't need cash for tours or transportation, and we have credit cards for souvenir purchases.  But what about small purchases - a bottle of water, a cup of coffee in a café, postcards, tipping tour guides and drivers (is this expected in Europe?), maybe souvenirs from a small vendor who doesn't accept credit cards?   Will we be able to exchange dollars (or euros)  on board the ship for a small amount of local currency for Denmark and Norway?   

We aren't particularly concerned about exchange rates, as we would be exchanging only a small amount.  Convenience is big factor, as well as not ending up with a large quantity of Danish or Norwegian currency that we aren't likely to have an opportunity to use again.   And, given that we will be on Princess excursions, we can't count on the opportunity to hunt down an ATM in port.  

We could commit to not making purchases if a credit card can't be used (water from the ship, no tipping, etc.), but it would seem very odd to me to go ashore with no local currency at all.  What do experienced European cruisers do?   Thanks in advance. 

Many large banks can get currency for you.  We have an account with Wells Fargo we keep open for that purpose.  We have to order in advance. Takes about a week.  We leave on a world cruise on 1/18 and are going today to place our order for about a dozen currencies.  It comes in handy for small purchases such as soda, little souveniers, places that do not take cards, etc.  And sometimes it is hard to find an ATM.  

I get a combination of money before I leave from a bank and then use an ATM if I need more.

I usually do private tours and they will often take a variety of currency. For example - in Norway - they would take Euros and British Pounds in addition to Norwegian Kronas. Though stores do not.

Most of the store vendors will take a credit card. Make sure you tell your credit card where you will be before you leave.

Euros are often accepted in Denmark and Norway. You may not get a great exchange rate, but for small purchases who cares about the rate.

Credit cards are generally accepted even for small purchases.

In Europe, I tip with Euros if I do not have the local currency. Guides will get enough of them so it is not a big problem for them. I will round up the tip to take into account the exchange needed.

We were in Norway and Denmark this past summer.  Had no problem using credit card anywhere we went.  We were in Denmark for 3 days and never needed cash.  In Norway we could have saved about 10 minutes at an ice cream stand near the Viking Museum had we had some krone, but we were accommodated with the credit card, just took a few minutes longer. 

Agree with above.  If you feel you need a small amount of local currency, say for the bathroom or whatever, guest services on the ship can sell it to you,  As said, exchange rate won’t be great but if you only want say $20 or so it won’t matter.  Europe especially Northern Europe everyone uses credit card or cashless

When you are in Norway and Denmark you are venturing into the world of the cashless society.  Credit cards are actually preferred even for small purchases.  I would get some £ and € for your other stops but that is all you should need.

While we use credit cards for most purchases, we get a small amount of each local currency from our local bank before departure. They have small amounts of common currency on hand, but for others or particular denominations, they request about 1 week notice.

Coming from a currency-challenged country like yours, it may seem strange, but every day of the year millions of people do exactly what you are planning.

So far the earth has not started spinning into the sun, and most of the multi-currency users have not declared bankruptcy.

I typically carry about 10  different currencies in my wallet. I travel a lot and it is very convenient.

You can always find a bank somewhere that will convert the currencies whenever / wherever you need to.

I live in Sweden and hardly use cash at all, 99% of everything I buy is bought with my Visa Debit card. When going to Copenhagen, Helsinki or Tallinn we never exchange money, we just use our Visa or  Master card. They work allmost everywhere, but American Express or Diners are not common in Scandinavia and not a lot of stores accept them.

With lots of bits and bobs happening in Europe it is not always best to assume everyone just pays in Euros...particularly in Slavic and Northern European countries. Also,some of the best small businesses/craft market stalls wont take low card payments so always best to remember where a cash machine is. There will be places in Europe that demand a £5-10 Euro minimum card payment etc.

Do not try and pay with Euros in Denmark/Norway but simply rely on cash machines for getting out currencies...just make sure you don't use the airport ones.As for pounds, get some before you go or find a cash machine near your hotel. London is pricey but our pound is sinking faster than the Titanic because we have a government of clowns.

Edited by Velvetwater

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

There will be places in Europe that demand a £5-10 Euro minimum card payment etc.

Not in Sweden. Even if I only buy one Pepsi for 10 kronor (Crowns) ~ one U.S $ or one €, I use my Visa card.

If you are only stopping in the capital or major cities card payments (Visa and Mastercard being best) will be accepted everywhere, no minimum limit with the exception maybe being the odd market stall. Denmark is a little weird in that some places will only take locally issued credit and debit cards but we found this more of an issue outside of Copenhagen and away from the international tourist sights.

In saying that make sure your card has a chip imbedded as pretty much nowhere in Europe can process a magnetic strip and make sure your pin is enabled as most European card readers will only accept pins for security. If all else fails ATMs are pretty common around European cities and you can download apps that can find and direct you to ATMs.

We try to get a small amount of currency for any country we plan to visit, as mentioned a bit above, from our bank with a 1-2 week notice.  That's just for any immediate needs where a charge card wouldn't work, such as tips or an occasional small purchase.  If we need more currency, we wait until we arrive, and go to a bank ATM (*not* one in any sort of sketchy location).

During a trip or perhaps at the start of the next one, we probably have some miscellaneous currencies on hand.  We try to take the collection of any currencies we don't plan to need soon to a currency exchange, and change it all to the local currency or (instead of using an ATM, or in addition to, etc.).

That way, we avoid repeated currency exchange fees, such as exchanging unused Pounds for US Dollars, and then needing to buy new Yen with the Dollars.  Instead, we are just exchanging something like Pounds for Yen..

On our recent trip to Japan, where we would be for a couple of weeks, on the first day or two, we asked our guide to take us to a currency exchange.   We handed over a bunch of assorted leftover currency to exchange, and we walked away with just Yen.

Given that we charge most things and aren't ever using a lot of cash, the exchange fees don't add up to much, and the convenience of occasionally changing "all of the leftover currencies" to one that we'll be using "right now" works fine.

RM

9 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Not in Sweden. Even if I only buy one Pepsi for 10 kronor (Crowns) ~ one U.S $ or one €, I use my Visa card.

I can in the UK in most places also.But what I am saying is in very small establishments/market stalls/some international tiny stores (often Asian) they have a minimum card payments due to various charges from their bank.

If you go off the beaten track you may find such places...if you stay on the main streets then you will not likely have a problem.

Our US friends found this out when we went to get chocolate from a small newsagent style place in Helsinki...thankfully we had some coins to borrow when they came out and let us know.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In saying that make sure your card has a chip imbedded as pretty much nowhere in Europe can process a magnetic strip and make sure your pin is enabled as most European card readers will only accept pins for security.

No true, at least not in Sweden. All card readers that have the chip reader will have the magnetic strip reader too.
You would even be able to sign if you don't have a pin.
A lot will even have RFID.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In saying that make sure your card has a chip imbedded as pretty much nowhere in Europe can process a magnetic strip and make sure your pin is enabled as most European card readers will only accept pins for security. If all else fails ATMs are pretty common around European cities and you can download apps that can find and direct you to ATMs.

The statement above isn't true -- most machines have the ability to process both types of cards -- however the person 'behind the counter' may not always know it or how to run a card with a magnetic strip.

Also, in Europe they have mostly accommodated to the US refusal to go to chip and pin issued cards en masse; in most places where the transaction is manned, you can use a chip and signature card. It is the unmanned terminals that cause issues if you don't have a chip and pin card (e.g., ticket kiosks and the like).

Edited by cruisemom42

On 12/31/2018 at 1:28 PM, wheezedr said:

When you are in Norway and Denmark you are venturing into the world of the cashless society.  Credit cards are actually preferred even for small purchases.  I would get some £ and € for your other stops but that is all you should need.

Much of Europe these days.

People buy a pack of gum on a credit card. 😄

But for cash, I hit an ATM.  Better exchange rate.  You do want to let you bank know you are traveling.  And check if they have any fees.  I have one account that is no fee.  Another account that is 1% on currency conversions.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The statement above isn't true -- most machines have the ability to process both types of cards -- however the person 'behind the counter' may not always know it or how to run a card with a magnetic strip.

Also, in Europe they have mostly accommodated to the US refusal to go to chip and pin issued cards en masse; in most places where the transaction is manned, you can use a chip and signature card. It is the unmanned terminals that cause issues if you don't have a chip and pin card (e.g., ticket kiosks and the like).

Most times yes.

But not always.

Netherlands have some places, like getting transit tickets, that are chip and pin ONLY.  No chip and signature and no swipe.

And I am finding that most places are better about handling chip and signature cards.  Which used to NOT be the case.  😄

BTW, if you stay on land someplace, the trick I use to get rid of excess local currency is to use it to pay on my hotel bill.   If needed, I will keep out a small amount for use at the airport, but most airport vendeos take multiple currencies.  Or in many places, they are in US dollars. 😄

Only place this did not work was Eritrea, as the hotel will NOT accept local currency.