Government Shutdown

43 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

If it comes to that, they'll just close the Canada/US border.   

That will do wonders for the economy, I say we go in that direction. Hey the coast guard isn't getting paid so there is that. One of the most important defenses and great agencies of the country. 

14 hours ago, SRF said:

They don't have Global Entry kiosks?

We do.  Have used them 1-2 times a year for the past 5 and never had a problem. Probably about 10 kiosks. Not a huge number but don’t ever remember waiting for one. Usually racing our kids.  Used them last summer but our kids have used them in the winter and didn’t have any issues. 

On 1/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just wondering why you would choose TSA Pre Check instead of Global Entry?

When we applied, Global Entry was fairly new and we couldn't get an interview for months unless we went up to Boston. TSA Pre just required an on-line application and fingerprinting at the local DHS office and we were done. When we come up for renewal we'll probably give Global Entry another shot.

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

When we applied, Global Entry was fairly new and we couldn't get an interview for months unless we went up to Boston. TSA Pre just required an on-line application and fingerprinting at the local DHS office and we were done. When we come up for renewal we'll probably give Global Entry another shot.

If you haven't renewed your Pre-Check, the programs were not that new.

I have had Global Entry about 8 years.

But there are a lot more places to do the interview now.  First time, I just scheduled it for a time when I was going to be traveling, so I went to the airport a bit early, checked in, and did the "interview". 

It isn't really an interview.  They scan your passport(s), and take your fingerprints.  And show you a video about how to use the kiosk.

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

If you haven't renewed your Pre-Check, the programs were not that new.

I have had Global Entry about 8 years.

But there are a lot more places to do the interview now.  First time, I just scheduled it for a time when I was going to be traveling, so I went to the airport a bit early, checked in, and did the "interview". 

It isn't really an interview.  They scan your passport(s), and take your fingerprints.  And show you a video about how to use the kiosk.

Thanks. At the time we had to go to the DHS office here in Rhode Island. We had a couple of cruises booked and didn't want to wait. Funny how they call them interviews for both. I though the Global Entry would be a little more comprehensive.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, LB_NJ said:

At some point TSA agents will stop showing up and the airports will close.  Trickle down effect will be not enough passengers to fill cruise ships.

Just saw on CNN that due to abnormal call offs one of the terminals at Miami airport will be closed this weekend.  And the fun begins.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Just saw on CNN that due to abnormal call offs one of the terminals at Miami airport will be closed this weekend.  And the fun begins.

Terminal G Miami will be closed then reopen. Details in this article -

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article224260800.html

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, JAMESCC said:

Isn't working without pay slavery? Isn't it the same thing?

Nope. Not the same. Was a Federal Employee during a previous shutdown that had to work unpaid. I'd do that for weeks rather then be a Slave for a day

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Ironic thing is when Budget is passed, Fed Employees will probably back pay BUT ones called in sick wont get paid and will not be able use their sick leave...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ironic thing is when Budget is passed, Fed Employees will probably back pay BUT ones called in sick wont get paid and will not be able use their sick leave...

It's a new day and a new generation. I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings. They look for any excuse not to work. They all get paid out unused sick time in Feb each year. None of them ever have any left to be paid out and many use more sick time than they have so they don't get paid for those extra days. So this does not surprise me at all.

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's a new day and a new generation. I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings. They look for any excuse not to work. They all get paid out unused sick time in Feb each year. None of them ever have any left to be paid out and many use more sick time than they have so they don't get paid for those extra days. So this does not surprise me at all.

My kids are in their 30s and they and their friends work darn hard, so please don’t lump them all in the one basket.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

My kids are in their 30s and they and their friends work darn hard, so please don’t lump them all in the one basket.

My kids are 23 and 26. They paid their way through college and worked several jobs doing so. They sill work hard and never call out sick even when they are sick. They seem to be the exception these days and not the rule. When I was their age it was the other way around.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Big_G said:

Thanks. At the time we had to go to the DHS office here in Rhode Island. We had a couple of cruises booked and didn't want to wait. Funny how they call them interviews for both. I though the Global Entry would be a little more comprehensive.

They already did a background check on you.

Did you expect a polygraph? 😄