Embarkation Day Lunch

scokely

I haven't sailed HAL before and was curious what the options for lunch on embarkation day are. I'd like to avoid the buffet since it tends to be a bit hectic. Is the MDR, specialty restaurants, or the Dive Grill open for lunch on that day? 

1 hour ago, MARYVB said:

I thought The MDR was for Mariners lunch only on embarkation day. But Yes the dive-in Grill will be open as well as the Lido.

That was changed at least 2-3 years ago and the MDR is now open to all passengers.

I'll be on Nieuw Statendam. I'm optimistic about the MDR. I was concerned they wouldn't seat us since we aren't Mariners but it sounds like it's worth a try. 

I'll be sure to keep the taco bar as a plan B!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scokely said:

I'll be on Nieuw Statendam. I'm optimistic about the MDR. I was concerned they wouldn't seat us since we aren't Mariners but it sounds like it's worth a try. 

I'll be sure to keep the taco bar as a plan B!

The Nieuw Statendam does not have a Taco Bar but it does have a Pizza Inn & NY Deli on the deck above the indoor pool.  The offerings are quite good and most passengers will not think to go there.  There is a circular stairway just past the Dive In.  Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2258-Edit-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News

26 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Does KONINGSDAM still offer the MDR option now that they are “suggesting” much later staggered boarding?

Yes

Here are the Konigsdam menus for Embarkation Day for the Caribbean:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/KD-Embarkation-Day.pdf

Edited by Crew News

On our recent Eurodam cruise, there was a Mariner lunch towards the end of the cruise.  The MDR was open for lunch on embarkation day, and we thought the lunch that day was better than the Mariner lunch later in the week.  As far as I know, the lunch on embarkation day was open to everyone.

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Nieuw Statendam does not have a Taco Bar but it does have a Pizza Inn & NY Deli on the deck above the indoor pool.  The offerings are quite good and most passengers will not think to go there.  There is a circular stairway just past the Dive In.  Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2258-Edit-2.jpg

Hope NS has this menu on embarkation days. Looks yummy, might want t o try it out.

On Oosterdam (12/28/18) the MDR lunch option was NOT included on the list of lunch options.  I think the door was also closed, but someone opened it for us while we were talking towards it.  I asked if lunch was being served and they asked if I was a mariner member and then asked for my cruise card, then printed a ticket and seated us.  I didn't think to ask if I needed to be a mariner member to eat there though.  [We had 1-* transferred over based on our Princess cruises, I just called into the Mariner society with both my Princess and HAL #'s and they took care of applying the status to my Mariner account].

11 hours ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Lunch was served from 12 noon until 1:30pm on embarkation day on the NS on 1/13. 

It did not seem to matter if you were a Mariner or not...all were welcome. 

The lunch was good and it was a much calmer way to begin the cruise.

Same experience on the Amsterdam on Jan. 7.  It was a good meal, nice and quiet, and not very busy.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:44 AM, foodsvcmgr said:

Does KONINGSDAM still offer the MDR option now that they are “suggesting” much later staggered boarding?

It was suggested that we board at 1:30 last June however we were on board and eating in K'dam's MDR by noon. It was great :classic_smile: