Passport expiration recommendations

cruiserjt

Leaving on 7 day Western itinerary at the end of April with two teenage daughters.  I looked today and found their passports expire in June of 2019 but of course I received the warning during check in from Celebrity that they are less than six months from expiring.  I have full intention of renewing them when we get back but am looking for some valid information about the real risk of not having this done prior to April.  With government shutdown pending - the risk seems higher that we may not get them back as opposed to the risk of travel and having a passport that expires in 60 days.  I will probably bring along birth certificate for them as well. 

As you know - youth passports are good for only 5 years.  Honestly, I feel like we just renewed these - time is just flying by. 

I appreciate the expertise here - I have been searching the forums and honestly would have processed the renewal this week if it wasn't for all this uncertainty. Getting two teen age girls in the same place to have a passport picture done will be more difficult that you can imagine 🙂 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Teri, Jim, Molly and Mallory

We just did a Bahamas cruise in January, our passports expire in March.  Took our birth certificates just in case, but no one batted an eye at check in with the passports so never even took the birth certificates out. 

Most of the Caribbean and Mexico do not require passports to be valid for 6 months when on a cruise.  The only exception I am aware of is Cuba.  Check on your port stops to see what their requirements are and bring those birth certificates just in case.  Of course, the government will be more than happy to renew the passports if you feel you need them.

34 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

Western Caribbean or Western Mediterranean?

It depends on the ports of call and the check-in agents at the port.

If you go to the government sites of your ports of call they should tell you what are the entry requirements for cruise passengers.

Whatever may be the requirements of the itinerary's individual ports, the cruise line's own requirements may differ. And if you don't comply, you may be denied boarding. Pretty much every premium/luxury line requires all passengers on all itineraries to have (and often surrender to the purser) a valid passport. Do check with the cruise line regarding the 6 month remaining validity (which, BTW, is counted from your date of your return).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Just did a Western Caribbean itinerary, DS's passport expired 1 day prior to our arrival back in the States. The officer didn't even care. He just looked at our pics in our passports and compared them to our faces.

"Getting back" is not the issue. Some countries will refuse ENTRY if your passport does not have an end date 6 months beyond your planned last day in that country.

A friend of mine is traveling by air and sea to the Caribbean later this month.His passport expires next month.He called his local post office and was told it would not be a problem. I suggested that he confirm this with the US passport office as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine is traveling by air and sea to the Caribbean later this month.His passport expires next month.He called his local post office and was told it would not be a problem. I suggested that he confirm this with the US passport office as soon as possible.

US citizen flying US to/from Puerto Rico or USVI? No passport necessary (unless you don't have the correct "newer" Real ID or Enhanced DL driver's license) by whatever is the latest deadline.

Flying US to/from any non-US Caribbean country? Passport required.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Just did a Western Caribbean itinerary, DS's passport expired 1 day prior to our arrival back in the States. The officer didn't even care. He just looked at our pics in our passports and compared them to our faces.

It is not the US that is the issue.  You can return to the US if you passport is still valid.

OTHER countries may not allow you to enter if less than 6 months on your passport.

And some CRUISE LINES will not let you board with less than 6 months validity.

The US Passport office is NOT the place to ask.

You need to contact the Embassy or Consulate of that country that you are traveling to.

www.visahq.com is also a resource, but it should be verified with the actual country office (Embassy or Consulate).

5 hours ago, cruiserjt said:

LWith government shutdown pending - the risk seems higher that we may not get them back as opposed to the risk of travel and having a passport that expires in 60 days. 

Passport office is funded by passport fees, and does not shut down during funding shut downs.

They  did not close during the long one, or any previous ones.

BTW< if Celebrity accepts BC and photo ID, there should be no issue with a soon to expire (but after the cruise) passport.   The lines that require a passport with 6 months validity, REQUIRE A PASSPORT to cruise.

• Like 1

"Getting back" is not the issue. Some countries will refuse ENTRY if your passport does not have an end date 6 months beyond your planned last day in that country.

This is not true for any Caribbean cruise destination except Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

we did the western caribbean that the OP is asking about (and no Cuba), and had to use DS's birth certificate to do the online check in for the cruise. His passport hasn't even come up.

As for passport processing times, we applied for DS's passport on Jan 4 in person at a post office, it was issued on Jan 28 and we received it yesterday, Feb 1.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, cruiserjt said:

Leaving on 7 day Western itinerary at the end of April with two teenage daughters.  I looked today and found their passports expire in June of 2019 but of course I received the warning during check in from Celebrity that they are less than six months from expiring.  I have full intention of renewing them when we get back but am looking for some valid information about the real risk of not having this done prior to April.  With government shutdown pending - the risk seems higher that we may not get them back as opposed to the risk of travel and having a passport that expires in 60 days.  I will probably bring along birth certificate for them as well. 

As you know - youth passports are good for only 5 years.  Honestly, I feel like we just renewed these - time is just flying by. 

I appreciate the expertise here - I have been searching the forums and honestly would have processed the renewal this week if it wasn't for all this uncertainty. Getting two teen age girls in the same place to have a passport picture done will be more difficult that you can imagine 🙂 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Teri, Jim, Molly and Mallory

Since they can technically cruise with just a birth certificate and an ID (if over 16) there is no concern about a passport expiring 60 days after return. Celebrity may not agree, but that would be a Celebrity rule not a CBP rule. As long as a passport is valid on the day you return to the US it is fine to cruise with that passport on a western itinerary.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

It is not the US that is the issue.  You can return to the US if you passport is still valid.

OTHER countries may not allow you to enter if less than 6 months on your passport.

And some CRUISE LINES will not let you board with less than 6 months validity.

NOT an issue on the cruise OP is taking. You can take that  cruise with only a birth certificate and an ID under WHTI passports NOT needed.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we did the western caribbean that the OP is asking about (and no Cuba), and had to use DS's birth certificate to do the online check in for the cruise. His passport hasn't even come up.

As for passport processing times, we applied for DS's passport on Jan 4 in person at a post office, it was issued on Jan 28 and we received it yesterday, Feb 1.

I thought that is only for an expedited passport ?

I thought that is only for an expedited passport ?

what is? we didn't do expedited processing, since we don't need the passport until the end of March. But since DS is a minor, we had to apply at the processing agency instead of doing a renewal by mail, like we did in September for my DH.

IN post #9 on this thread, breezy carol reports the same processing time.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

NOT an issue on the cruise OP is taking. You can take that  cruise with only a birth certificate and an ID under WHTI passports NOT needed.

Well, you know, if the OP had actually taken the time to tell us just what cruise and destinations he was talking about, we wouldn't get into these side tangents that you apparently dislike.

Instead, we got generalities.  Which leads to general responses.

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course, that could change tomorrow, next week, next month, ......

Anything could change, but likely won't. The islands in the Caribbean rely too heavily on tax dollars to rock the boat and the final regulations are final and will remain the same unless something happens to change the DHS determination that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security.

OP, the recommendation to have 6 months validity on your passport is generally just that- a recommendation. If you are on a closed loop cruise, you aren't going to Cuba, you aren't sailing on a premium line and you are a US citizen there is no requirement to have 6 months remaining on your passport on the day that you leave your final port. 

• Like 1