Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

11 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Try have a very bad back and sitting on a bed.  Can't do it.  I need a chair and so does my DH.

That why I can't sit to long in one if the lounges by the pool.

Try sitting on the bed with you back against the wall for support. 

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I think people are going to be canceling because they want comfort in their cabins, the option to have more livability for at least two people in the cabin with places to sit, and that Princess is showing a lack of concern/understanding for it's passengers needs.  

I really do not believe their reasons given so far for the removable of chairs.  I have a feeling it is a cost cutting measure only and means that it will take cabin stewards less time to clean a cabin consequently a cut back in cabin stewards.  Also, less maintenance for furniture which means less money they have to spend.

If I can go with another cruise line with the same itinerary, similar price,  couch and or chairs in the cabin then I am sure Princess will be losing some very loyal passengers over this matter.  Chairs in their cabins have never been a problem for all of the many years they have been sailing....why now all of a sudden and unannounced?

I have not read all of this thread but has anyone requested a chair & been turned down?

2 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

That why I can't sit to long in one if the lounges by the pool.

Try sitting on the bed with you back against the wall for support. 

Sitting with my back against the wall on a bed is not good either.  Bed sitting I just can't do. But thanks for the suggestion.  I need a chair to sit on.  One for me and one for my DH.

53 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Sitting with my back against the wall on a bed is not good either.  Bed sitting I just can't do. But thanks for the suggestion.  I need a chair to sit on.  One for me and one for my DH.

Looks like a full suite may be the only solution... or another cruise line. 

5 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

Not the only option; a mini-suite has two chairs and a full size couch.  But of course both a mini and full suite cost more than a balcony cabin...

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

I don't buy it either.  My guess is that it is a deliberate attempt to reduce the use of room service.  They can't eliminate room service (it would put them at a competitive disadvantage), but they can make it impractical.

Brilliant idea and I think you definitely could be on to something here....it definitely is a cost cutting measure in someway because Princess never does anything unless they are going to make money or spend less on passenger in this day and age.  

Like I said before,  the reasons the Princess Corporate CSR gave us just rang so hollow......"We will have more living space so my wife and I can enjoy our cabin more but we will have no comfortable place to sit and relax?"  

LOL.....as a matter of fact, we liked their rationale so much that my wife and I are now removing all chairs from our home except one so we can have more living space, feel safer and ourselves, family and friends can enjoy our home even more.....they are being ridiculous and not transparent in trying to sale this DOWNGRADE!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Not the only option; a mini-suite has two chairs and a full size couch.  But of course both a mini and full suite cost more than a balcony cabin...

We hardly even used them but it would only seem logical that they could provide chairs upon request?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I have not read all of this thread but has anyone requested a chair & been turned down?

Yes!  We are on the 49 day Royal Princess cruise from FLL to LA. I requested a chair on day two. There are no chairs, period!  Just like calling Princess 800#, some of the customer service folks aren’t even aware there are no chairs. I have talked to Captains Circle host also. 

It has been raining for a couple of days. The public spaces are jammed. It would be lovely to sit in a chair and look outside through our balcony door. The balcony chairs are outside and soaked. I have brought them in and they are immediately placed back outside. Seriously people, dragging chairs from public spaces isn't  going to work. 

Denise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dchip said:

I have brought them in and they are immediately placed back outside.

Forget what the steward does. He's only doing what he's told on how the cabin should be set up.

Tell the stewards supervisor that you want them to remain inside. 

1 hour ago, floridalover5623 said:

Forget what the steward does. He's only doing what he's told on how the cabin should be set up.

Tell the stewards supervisor that you want them to remain inside. 

By all means rat out Stewart and get him in trouble. 

After all that's what's its all about right?

3 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

No there are other options then a full suite.  Another cruise line will work.  I have perks on other lines too.

We cruise to relax, not to come back with more back pain then I have now because of lack of a chair.

I plan to spend a certain amount on a cabin for each cruise and if Princess has a cabin with two places to sit (sofa, love seat or two chairs) that is in my budget, then I sail Princess.  If not, then I will sail one of the other lines that have the price and seating that I want. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I wonder how many people really don't that chair in the room in the first place?

I think that is what Princess in banking on.

But when one PAX has no chair to sit on and they are uncomfortable I don't think they would like to sail again and have no chair.  Hence, another cruise line.

Edited by geocruiser
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I don't want that chair,I do want the table! However those that do want it should have it!

I can understand  not wanting the chair because you are able to sit else where in comfort.  I think you should be able to have the table too.  Drinking a hot cup of coffee and no table to put it on can be dangerous.  Trying to eat room service would be all most impossible too.

• Like 1

Maybe everyone should start bringing chairs from the lounges back to their rooms...that might get the message across. I, personally, hadn't even thought about the lack of a chair being an issue but now I am thinking back to the number of times that I HAVE appreciated somewhere (other than the bed) to sit.....

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

Maybe everyone should start bringing chairs from the lounges back to their rooms...that might get the message across. I, personally, hadn't even thought about the lack of a chair being an issue but now I am thinking back to the number of times that I HAVE appreciated somewhere (other than the bed) to sit.....

I would drag a chair back to the room, if I could.  But my bad back could not do it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

That's my idea but get one from the pool deck.

They're lighter. 😉

18 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just checked our two booked cruises ~ one a transatlantic and the other around the tip of SA including Antarctica. Two different ships; both balcony cabins. Looked online just now at both cabins pix and they still show the barrel chairs.  Wouldn't you think that if they had thought this through before making this change that they would have re-shot the photos or modified them somehow.  BTW, on these cruises with MANY sea days; we need to have chairs in the room. There simply are not enough places on board a ship at sea for all guests to find a place to sit in public areas....co_bd_balcony_photo_lrg.wdp.jxr  Don't know why I couldn't get the actual photo to post??

If you look at the disclaimers on the web-site, those photos are only representative and there may be differences.

• Haha 1

We have a transatlantic coming up mid-April so too late to cancel because of the missing chair.  On my return phone call from my email to schwartz, the rep suggested bringing in a balcony chair.  I think we will do that but also put a note on it for the steward to leave the chair in the room.  Most of our trip will have weather too chilly to sit out on the balcony.

2 minutes ago, mustgo said:

We have a transatlantic coming up mid-April so too late to cancel because of the missing chair.  On my return phone call from my email to schwartz, the rep suggested bringing in a balcony chair.  I think we will do that but also put a note on it for the steward to leave the chair in the room.  Most of our trip will have weather too chilly to sit out on the balcony.

Crazy.  All that money and having to drag in a balcony chair.  Like you my cruise is too close to cancel,  but booking more cruises, well I don't know.  The price has to be right for a cabin with two seats to sit on.

2 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Why would you remove a chair from a room and thus put yourself at a disadvantage with every other cruise line ?If I was X, I would have some new commercials in the works. 

You are right. I did not think of that.  I am sure other cruise lines are also reading this thread too!  After all they need to know what their competitor is doing.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mustgo said:

It is never too late to cancel for a good cause.