Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

3 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

You could move a balcony chair/table inside -- if you have a balcony. 

But Ocean View cabins are also being stripped of the chair.

This is a move by PCL to make the less expensive cabins uncomfortable enough to encourage customers to buy deluxe balconies & up.  There may be other motives too.

Without the interiors and oceanviews filled you don't make money.  Like the airlines it's "economy" that covers the costs and Business/Suites that make the profit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

Princess keeps giving me reasons not to come back to them. To me, this all started when they began cutbacks on the new Royal Princess.  I'm holding out hope that the next class of ship they build will be a step forward and that means having a sofa and chair in the rooms (and even go back to decent sized balconies).  

That is why I will never book a balcony on a Royal class.  IMHO this class is a disappointment compared to a similar vintage design say the Silhouette.

OK, we booked mini suite next cruise because of the situation.  I am 7 years younger than my husband.  He has had stage 4 head and neck cancer and was very uncomfortable in the premium balcony chairs.   Very painful for him to sit in the chairs.  I asked for a lounger from our steward...they had a meeting and his supervisor said NO...he said he would have done it if he could have.  I put extra pillows to make him comfortable...as he could not be in the sun and needed  the overhead balcony.   I must say to everyone...have empathy...we all are guaranteed to get old some day.  We may not now, but it is part of life...a guarantee.  I remember cruising with my mom who was in a wheelchair and we could not do stairs with her and NO ONE would offer to get off, even the young people.  I was very angry for my mom.  I do know what goes around comes around.  Those people will be old some day too...maybe they will remember they did not let someone on...and then maybe not.  I do the right thing...I step off and ask if anyone else can too to let the person on who cannot do the stairs with the wheelchair...doesn't matter if I am flamed...God knows my heart.  Same with the chair...it becomes a necessity of life...a chair YOU may need...maybe not now, but down the road.  Have compassion.

• Like 5

On our February 14th Ruby cruise we still had the small round table in our balcony cabin but not the extra chair.  We had to take turns using the lone desk chair, the other person having to stand or sit in the bed.  Our weather was lousy so the balcony was of little use and the cabin not comfy and relaxing.  If the reason was REALLY about making more room, ( which I think we all agree is a lie)  They make reasonably comfortable folding chairs similar in size to the desk chair that could be stowed in that big closet if you don’t want it.  I told them that in the survey but doubt that it matters.  We are platinum now on Princess and both get the military OBC so that’s great, but if we have to always book a mini suite to get the approximate same level of comfort, me might still be money ahead to book balcony cabins on Celebrity.  Less closet space but that can be adjusted for, and Celebrity has a nicer shower also.  

• Like 6

Best Choice Products Outdoor Folding Patio Sport Lounge Suspension Chair - Beige

On Amazon for $39.00.  Don't haul it on to your flight; have Amazon ship it to your pre-cruise hotel. Board it w/your luggage.

Later, you can decide if it's worth the cost of shipping home. (Or sell it to someone waiting to go aboard!) 

This should not even be a consideration, but PCL has pushed us to this!

• Haha 2

The ONLY thing that keeps my West Cost self on Princess is not having to fly to the port. I’m sure these boards are somewhat monitored by Princess. Perhaps they will be “impressed” by the volume of negative comments this thread has produced in just a few days. Aside from the few who have tripped over the chair, most people seem to miss it. Or will miss it. I cruise to relax as do most of us. We get to define what our relaxation encompasses. For me a place to check the news before dinner. Or A quiet spot to read. Or a respite after a day’s tour. But I don’t want to have to do it in my bed.

Coming from RCL I missed the couch. But put up with the chair, making hubby sit on the desk chair. (He promised since he didn’t want to pay for a mini suite. 🤣) But now it seems we get to play musical chairs with the desk chair.  l’m guessing he will let me win since it’s cheaper than an upgrade to a mini suite. What’s that expression? Penny-wise pound-foolish. That’s what happens when people start peeling off. East coast folks have lots of options. Other cruise lines have managed to squeeze a couch into a small cabin. You’d think Princess can at least retrofit a small comfy chair. I might just send a link to this thread to their corporate office. Maybe they really don’t think people care. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, louden said:

That is why I will never book a balcony on a Royal class.  IMHO this class is a disappointment compared to a similar vintage design say the Silhouette.

Yup, we were lucky enough to get a mini on our Royal to St Petersburg/Baltic, but I knew I'd never take a cruise in a regular balcony cabin on this class on a Caribbean cruise.  We're doing Equinox next year and have migrated to Celebrity for the most part.  I always felt that we didn't leave Princess.  It left us.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

Best Choice Products Outdoor Folding Patio Sport Lounge Suspension Chair - Beige

On Amazon for $39.00.  Don't haul it on to your flight; have Amazon ship it to your pre-cruise hotel. Board it w/your luggage.

Later, you can decide if it's worth the cost of shipping home. (Or sell it to someone waiting to go aboard!) 

This should not even be a consideration, but PCL has pushed us to this!

Hmmm. Maybe there is a business opportunity for those living close to a port. Buy 10 chairs at $39 each. Sell for $59 at the port. Buy back at the end if cruise for $20. Sell again.... Soon have enough money to pay for a cruise on Celebrity for oneself! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Another email address for Princess: accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

Here's a copy of an email I sent to the above address and Jan Swartz:

As a loyal Princess cruiser, I’m somewhat confused.  You say that your passengers “come back new” yet, with only one chair in the cabin, how can I come back new?  The bed is for sleeping one.  A chair is for sitting on.  However, it appears that the policy of Princess now is to require a person to either stand or sit on the bed when two people are in a cabin. 

A lot of people in the age group that both my wife and I and many Princess cruises have bad backs.  Sitting on the bed or standing does not help us.  We want to sit on a chair, not a bed.   

Both as a Princess loyalist and a stockholder in Carnival, I want to see the second chair returned to the cabin.

Here’s an equation in which there is only one correct answer:  1 cabin + 2 passengers = 2 chairs.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, damiross said:

Here's a copy of an email I sent to the above address and Jan Swartz:

As a loyal Princess cruiser, I’m somewhat confused.  You say that your passengers “come back new” yet, with only one chair in the cabin, how can I come back new?  The bed is for sleeping one.  A chair is for sitting on.  However, it appears that the policy of Princess now is to require a person to either stand or sit on the bed when two people are in a cabin. 

A lot of people in the age group that both my wife and I and many Princess cruises have bad backs.  Sitting on the bed or standing does not help us.  We want to sit on a chair, not a bed.   

Both as a Princess loyalist and a stockholder in Carnival, I want to see the second chair returned to the cabin.

Here’s an equation in which there is only one correct answer:  1 cabin + 2 passengers = 2 chairs.

Right on!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KatieMac67 said:

I have been reading the chair mistake on and off for 3 days now. You would think that the chair was actually comfortable. I spent a lot of my time the first day of my first cruise trying to find a place for the chair that would be out of the way. I did not think about the closet, but that would have worked. I have a bad back and that chair would have killed me. The one at the desk has a straighter back and was a lot better for me to sit in. I for one will not miss it, but if one happens to be in my cabin I will surely let you have it.

I don't know how many people were in your cabin. But with two people in one cabin, one chair will not do for most.

1 hour ago, cruisingram1 said:

Hmmm. Maybe there is a business opportunity for those living close to a port. Buy 10 chairs at $39 each. Sell for $59 at the port. Buy back at the end if cruise for $20. Sell again.... Soon have enough money to pay for a cruise on Celebrity for oneself! 

Princess would probably undercut such competition by renting a folding chair for cabins & would find a place to store them onboard when not in use. 

• Like 1

Later this summer we are going on a 29 day cruise from Barcelona to Fla USA through the Canal to end in Los Angles.

Now, me being a gentleman, I will let my Wife use the one chair in the Cabin that Princess Hq has deemed as adequate for two people in a cabin. 😞

Since I do not like to sit long term on the bed to read or watch TV I would have to stand while in the room.  Unless I find a corner to lean in.

Then I came up with a possible solution for this problem.  I will ask that Steward bring two more life jackets for my use.  Then I will stack up the four life jackets in end of the closet and then sit on them while reading my Kindle.  Problem solved.  😎

(Naw, I would not use a life jacket for such use, but it is an idea)

Edited by 4x4bob

On 2/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, 4cats4me said:

Good luck with that.  

Nobody in our group had the chair three months ago on the Crown.  

I'm glad the table is gone....in fact, that was one of the things I complained about on my end or cruise survey last summer on the Royal.  The table was a Royal Pain (pun intended).  We were always having to move it out of the way. 

1 hour ago, where_to_next said:

I'm glad the table is gone....in fact, that was one of the things I complained about on my end or cruise survey last summer on the Royal.  The table was a Royal Pain (pun intended).  We were always having to move it out of the way. 

Table? We still had a table. We didn’t have the chair.  

They better not start removing those tables, too, because we need that table to set our breakfast tray on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Table? We still had a table. We didn’t have the chair.  

They better not start removing those tables, too, because we need that table to set our breakfast tray on. 

My husband used the table to put his "next day" stuff on at night.  I used to use the chair.  Last cruise I had to put my stuff on top of the stuff on the desk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, where_to_next said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but how was the table in your way? It is tucked into a corner! Just curious! I did not like the chair as I felt it was in my way but never complained  about it.

13 hours ago, damiross said:

You definitely nailed it.....I am really surprised that Princess is not hailing this new move in all their advertising to get other cruisers to come over from the comfy side of cruising...ie...Celebrity, Holland, CARNIVAL, Cunard....etc....where your chair formula seems to be the norm!!!!!

Following the Princess rationale that passengers want the chair removed for more space guess they will next help us by removing one of the two balcony chairs on standard sized balconies (9’x4’/9’x5’) to give us more space there. 🙄

4 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but how was the table in your way? It is tucked into a corner! Just curious! I did not like the chair as I felt it was in my way but never complained  about it.

Neither did we so we just shoved it in the closet to use as a shoe rest. 

This is an absurd and short-sighted bit of cost-cutting. We were already reluctant to book balcony staterooms on Princess because they don't include a sofa as they do on other mainstream lines. Now, I'm dead set against it.

So in the future, if we want an itinerary where the Princess mini-suite is beyond our price point (which sometimes happens with popular itineraries like Alaska or Europe, we'll just look for someone else to sail with. For the past four years, we've sailed on Princess 12 times (I think) and zero times elsewhere. They'd be losing a pretty loyal customer if we decided to jump ship.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49
  • Like 2