Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

42 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I doubt if that many loyal customers will jump cruise lines after all is said & done. They'll just accept it along with all the other cutbacks & move on. 

I agree. The cutbacks are not just happening on Princess. All the popular lines are looking at cutting costs, and as a result, the nickel and diming is everywhere.

Jump ship if you want, but don't be surprised to find the grass just looked greener. Cruise costs are ridiculously low, the lines are competing to keep their prices low, and any line that does not make cuts, but keeps their fares up instantly is at a disadvantage to other lines.

I cruised on Oceania last year, and people were complaining about the cutbacks there as well. Same for Celebrity and Holland America. Who knows, there is probably some guy complaining on Seven Seas Mariner because he is no longer serenaded around the boat while rose petals are strewn in front of him while he drinks Cristal out of a diamond studded Riedel Vinum wine glass, and he now has to be content with inferior non-Beluga caviar.

* Note the last line was a joke. If you cruise Seven Seas please do not be offended. I just wanted to illuminate how privileged we all are, and how most of the cuts are relatively minor. Although, I will admit at times, it does feel a little like death by a thousand cuts.

Edited by RMMariner
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I doubt if that many loyal customers will jump cruise lines after all is said & done. They'll just accept it along with all the other cutbacks & move on. 

That’s true.  People pretend they’re going to cruise other cruise lines every time something changes. 

It’s hard to say how upset people are about this. It’s mostly the same very vocal people over and over on this board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was recently on the Emerald out of LA on their 2/17 Mexican Riviera cruise.  The round table is still there (where else to put the breakfast tray? as many people have said) but the round chair is gone.  I've got to say, I appreciated the extra room.  Didn't miss the chair at all.  My 2 cents.  

• Like 1

How many people work in Santa Clarita? Is the headquarters as nice as they say?

4 minutes ago, 23Skiddoo said:

Was recently on the Emerald out of LA on their 2/17 Mexican Riviera cruise.  The round table is still there (where else to put the breakfast tray? as many people have said) but the round chair is gone.  I've got to say, I appreciated the extra room.  Didn't miss the chair at all.  My 2 cents.  

• Like 1

We had a cruise booked on the Ruby for May...We are Platnium and we cancelled because of lack of seating in balcony cabin...we have sailed NCL and Holland in balcony cabins with mini sofas...we booked almost same itin with NCL...also both those lines offer more dining options that are not an up charge ...

6 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

What does this even have the slightest thing to do with the subject at had? 

Intimating that it's not possible to disagree with him unless you work for Princess.

17 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

Later this summer we are going on a 29 day cruise from Barcelona to Fla USA through the Canal to end in Los Angles.

We're starting out on that cruise with you as far as FLL.  So, if Princess is aiming to push us all out of our cabins on seas days, where will we all fit???  I'm sure that those of us with balconies won't be able to be out there 24/7 and there is definitely not room for all of use to be roaming the ship while out to sea for all those days.  Maybe they think we'll be playing a constant game of musical chairs....

1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

I agree. The cutbacks are not just happening on Princess. All the popular lines are looking at cutting costs, and as a result, the nickel and diming is everywhere.

Jump ship if you want, but don't be surprised to find the grass just looked greener. Cruise costs are ridiculously low, the lines are competing to keep their prices low, and any line that does not make cuts, but keeps their fares up instantly is at a disadvantage to other lines.

I cruised on Oceania last year, and people were complaining about the cutbacks there as well. Same for Celebrity and Holland America. Who knows, there is probably some guy complaining on Seven Seas Mariner because he is no longer serenaded around the boat while rose petals are strewn in front of him while he drinks Cristal out of a diamond studded Riedel Vinum wine glass, and he now has to be content with inferior non-Beluga caviar.

* Note the last line was a joke. If you cruise Seven Seas please do not be offended. I just wanted to illuminate how privileged we all are, and how most of the cuts are relatively minor. Although, I will admit at times, it does feel a little like death by a thousand cuts.

Cutbacks are one thing—-taking out the one comfortable chair and ruining the beds by forcing people to sit on them......that does not sound like a win for P....or for the passengers. I doubt that even Candace Olson (sp) and the back doctor can design a bed that can withstand constant sitting on the edge. Pretty soon the beds will become a danger because people roll off the sides!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

That’s true.  People pretend they’re going to cruise other cruise lines every time something changes. 

It’s hard to say how upset people are about this. It’s mostly the same very vocal people over and over on this board. 

It was easy.....we have sailed on 25 cruises with Princess.....we just canceled our 2019 South America/Antarctica with them and booked with Holland.....great price and much more comfortable cabin.....canceled 2020 Sydney to LA and booked with Transpacific with Celebrity.   Better price and cabins on both.

I let the CSR know what the reason was for cancelling  and I am also sending the new reservations to Jan S.  

We will have no problem jumping ship if they think this is the way people want to travel on them.  So many options

out there and we are excited to try some other cruise lines.

I agree with you in that I believe Princess is counting on people just being complacent and putting up with this inconvenience but I doubt that many long time Princess cruisers will not hesitate to to shop around!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 7

If you have already paid for air, it presents a problem. I checked Celebrity and could not find a cruise that would work with my dates but travel agent is checking other lines. Not hopeful but this will be the last Princess Cruise. 

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bemis12 said:

It’s really not that hard

• Like 2

Since my (maybe) next cruise is in an Inside Accessible cabin, what kind of seating should I expect -- besides the shower chair, my scooter & my rollator?  Should there be a desk chair?  

Anyone know what's currently in an OV accessible cabin?

We should not have to ask what basic furniture is in a cabin!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DRS/NC said:

Since my (maybe) next cruise is in an Inside Accessible cabin, what kind of seating should I expect -- besides the shower chair, my scooter & my rollator?  Should there be a desk chair?  

Anyone know what's currently in an OV accessible cabin?

We should not have to ask what basic furniture is in a cabin!

I've been in my son's HC inside cabins and have myself been upgraded at the last minute to a HC balcony cabin. Both have the desk chair. I don't recall the other chair being in any of those cabins - likely because it would just be in the way of a wheelchair.

Edited by Thrak

I am only aware about this bad change because I regularly participate on this forum.  Searching online I wasn’t able to locate any other coverage about this change so it appears that not many people are aware of it which likely includes many travel agents.

Thus I informed my TA about the reasons why I’m unhappy about having 1 chair in lower priced cabins that accommodate up to 4 passengers.  I did this in case their agency has passengers who are considering a Princess cruise to not be surprised to discover only a single desk chair...it’s definitely something I would want to know about before deciding about what cruise to book.  Hopefully TAs will become aware of the reduction & will share this information to not have upset clients discover upon boarding the lack of sufficient seating in the overwhelming majority of the Princess cabins.

Based on the CC review of the Crown there are 1,560 cabins...only 12.4% are minisuites/suites.  There’s no number shown for Premium Balcony cabins which are also said to have 2 chairs.  Add a couple of percents to that number & that’s probably over 80% of the cabins that will have only 1 chair.

Does anyone believe that the primary reason is to provide more cabin space for passengers & not about the savings to Princess by eliminating the second chair in over 80% of their cabins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

It was easy.....we have sailed on 25 cruises with Princess.....we just canceled our 2019 South America/Antarctica with them and booked with Holland.....great price and much more comfortable cabin.....canceled 2020 Sydney to LA and booked with Transpacific with Celebrity.   Better price and cabins on both.

I let the CSR know what the reason was for cancelling  and I am also sending the new reservations to Jan S.  

We will have no problem jumping ship if they think this is the way people want to travel on them.  So many options

out there and we are excited to try some other cruise lines.

I have to say that I did something similar nearly a decade ago, and it was really the best thing I could've done. I now book with whichever line has my preferred itinerary, a good price, and occasionally nice perks being offered (most of which outweigh any slight benefits that accrue from 'loyalty' to a particular line.

Given that cruise lines are only 'loyal' to their bottom line, I see no reason why I shouldn't be loyal to my own best interests as well. Variety and choice are good things, not bad things!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I am only aware about this bad change because I regularly participate on this forum.  Searching online I wasn’t able to locate any other coverage about this change so it appears that not many people are aware of it which likely includes many travel agents.

Thus I informed my TA about the reasons why I’m unhappy about having 1 chair in lower priced cabins that accommodate up to 4 passengers.  I did this in case their agency has passengers who are considering a Princess cruise to not be surprised to discover only a single desk chair...it’s definitely something I would want to know about before deciding about what cruise to book.  Hopefully TAs will become aware of the reduction & will share this information to not have upset clients discover upon boarding the lack of sufficient seating in the overwhelming majority of the Princess cabins.

Based on the CC review of the Crown there are 1,560 cabins...only 12.4% are minisuites/suites.  There’s no number shown for Premium Balcony cabins which are also said to have 2 chairs.  Add a couple of percents to that number & that’s probably over 80% of the cabins that will have only 1 chair.

Does anyone believe that the primary reason is to provide more cabin space for passengers & not about the savings to Princess by eliminating the second chair in over 80% of their cabins.

Nope.

9 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Following the Princess rationale that passengers want the chair removed for more space guess they will next help us by removing one of the two balcony chairs on standard sized balconies (9’x4’/9’x5’) to give us more space there. 🙄

I think you have something there. Really, what are people complaining about, Princess is still giving you two chairs, you just have to haul them inside or outside, depending on where you want them.

(Just kidding of course. The unfortunate thing is that even with this arrangement, folks in OV or inside cabins still get stuck with only a single chair. As some presidents would say, #SAD.)

Edited by cruisemom42

4 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

It’s really not that hard

It's easy to book on other lines and I'm not about to book a regular balcony cabin without a sofa and chair.  I can book Aqua Class on Celebrity with Blu restaurant and Persian Gardens with drinks package and $300 OBC cheaper than a Princess cruise.  In my mind, I'd b stupid to book Princess unless there was a certain itinerary I wanted or they were deep discounting. 

• Haha 1