Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

5 hours ago, geocruiser said:

An they get you any kind of chair other than a barrel chair?

No offer of any other kind of chair at all, just NO.  But, there is still the 1 desk/vanity chair.  They also now are refusing to bring any kind of additional small table or footstool for the balcony for the first time.  I am short and the balcony chairs are uncomfortable for me. 

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

No offer of any other kind of chair at all, just NO.  But, there is still the 1 desk/vanity chair.  They also now are refusing to bring any kind of additional small table or footstool for the balcony for the first time.  I am short and the balcony chairs are uncomfortable for me. 

I am so sorry to hear this.  49 days on board and a small act of kindness is so hard to get.

Not that it's going to do any good....but next week when we are sailing, and they have the Captain's Circle party for the elites, and some of the Officers are there, I'm going to raise my hand and voice my displeasure.  

We don't use the chair every minute we are in the cabin, but it's sure nice to have when

we do.  As stated in a previous post, we are loyal to Princess, cruising with them enough to be elite, and I feel they just don't care about their customers anymore.  Like, if you don't want to cruise with us any more, no worries, someone else will.

Pam

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

CARE - Make sure you are sitting down when you read this!! - if you have a chair!

I have read some of the posts on here an some on other threads and even in my role call.

I dont think the Princess decision is really anything  at all to do with the chairs or tables or making more space in the cabin for us.

I think it is a step in preparation for something that that will make this seem like a storm in a teacup.   Hey that is clue!!

RCL  NCL  MSC  and maybe some others now charge for Room Service.
It may depend on time, where the cruise is or what type of cabin you have but they all charge.

Princess do not charge for room service "We offer 24-hour complimentary room service when you......."      

This service is likely expensive to maintain possibly even more so with the changes to dining times, do more people now have snacks in their room?  
 Anyway my theory is that they are thinking about introducing a charge and to try and reduce the backlash from that they are using a no chair/table tactic to try and cut down on the number of people using the room service so  there will be less people complaining about a service charge.

Edited by Aulanis

If you're in your room watching the world go by or reading it means you're not out spending money somewhere on the ship. [emoji6]

That’s the first thing I thought of when I read the chair went MIA. Make hanging out in your cabin less comfortable and hope you leave and spend money around the ship.

I much prefer X and RCL’s mini sofa and have put up with the Princess barrel chair as a west coast cruiser who would prefer not to fly to port. Now even the chair is gone. :-( I guess I’ll be dragging the balcony chair in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH and I were just talking about looking at different cruise lines (we have sailed hal for the last 8 - 9 years)  when I saw this thread.  Since we live in Florida and usually cruise out of FT Lauderdale not having an extra chair and table wouldn't bother us at all.  I have a small fold up table and chairs.  One more piece of luggage is no big deal when we travel with 3 or 4 all ready!  

So, if I might ask, which balcony categories again have had the barrel chair/balcony table removed? Does it also include the premium deluxe balcony as well as the deluxe balcony or just the "basic" balcony cabin. I noticed there is around $100 pp difference between the 3 sub-categories on a 7 day Caribbean cruise and was wondering, other than location, do you get anything else with the "deluxe" balconies?

Interesting strategy if the "pay for room service" policy is being planned in the near future as well.

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So, if I might ask, which balcony categories again have had the barrel chair/balcony table removed? Does it also include the premium deluxe balcony as well as the deluxe balcony or just the "basic" balcony cabin. I noticed there is around $100 pp difference between the 3 sub-categories on a 7 day Caribbean cruise and was wondering, other than location, do you get anything else with the "deluxe" balconies?

Interesting strategy if the "pay for room service" policy is being planned in the near future as well.

Depends on the ship.

Royal Regal Majestic have a small sofa in the Deluxe Cat balcony. These would not be affected.

Other ships deluxe and Premium would be mostly location. The cabins are a similar layout. These would probably have chairs that may/were/will be removed.

12 minutes ago, Hflors said:

DH and I were just talking about looking at different cruise lines (we have sailed hal for the last 8 - 9 years)  when I saw this thread.  Since we live in Florida and usually cruise out of FT Lauderdale not having an extra chair and table wouldn't bother us at all.  I have a small fold up table and chairs.  One more piece of luggage is no big deal when we travel with 3 or 4 all ready!  

If not having the chair and table wouldn't bother you at all, then why take one with you?  Just asking.

• Like 3

I would understand the concept of "Princess is trying to drive people out of their room" by removing the chair theory, if they were offering similar options outside of the room.  I find it odd that people are mentioning that it's difficult to find a good place to play cards!   I know that my perception of "cruise ship" is based on Royal Caribbean...but man, I thought that cruise ships would at least support unorganized card playing by passengers!

I continue to offer that I'd pay $500 for a long cruise to have a comfortable, private location where I could set up my ipad, crafting etc and have a convenient bathroom nearby.   Maybe like a glass room with optional curtains with an ocean view with a door that locks (so that I can leave my stuff there for 10 mins to go to the bathroom or run for a snack).   Being able to "order" a drink or a snack from the serenity guy would be fab.   But an outdoor space wouldn't work for me.  I need to curl up with my ipad/tv and a recliner/sofa.     Now maybe we could get rid of the walls/doors if you gave me a locker inside where I could quickly dump my stuff to run to the bathroom.

To me...this is a good compromise...get out there, hangout in our game room with a private, indoor, reserved sofa spot/recliner spot with table, locker, ipad holder etc.  They could have "public" tables for game players or people who prefer to do things at a table (vs sitting in a lounge).   I still sort of like the concept of curtains for "privacy".

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

If not having the chair and table wouldn't bother you at all, then why take one with you?  Just asking.

Chair does not bother me either but I empathize with people who liked and needed it ! Wish we all lived in Florida and could just pack up things we wanted!

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

You misinterpreted what I meant.  I  wouldn't bother me because we can bring our own/1

9 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Chair does not bother me either but I empathize with people who liked and needed it ! Wish we all lived in Florida and could just pack up things we wanted!

I understand what you are saying.  Bu,t I live in Florida and drive to the port too.  I just don't think that I should have to bring my own furniture on my cruise.  But that is me.

Thank you for your answer.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hflors said:

You misinterpreted what I meant.  I  wouldn't bother me because we can bring our own/1

Thank you for explaining your view to me.  I just think that Princess should supply the furniture.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Why would you remove a chair from a room and thus put yourself at a disadvantage with every other cruise line ?If I was X, I would have some new commercials in the works. 

Makes no sense to me either.....a few photos of their competition....Cunard, Celebrity and Holland balcony cabins and then the new Princess "Standing Room Only" cabins.  

Choice will be pretty easy for us now even though we do not want to leave Princess.  Hope they think it through again!

club-stateroom--v16923668-cc-576.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

celebrity-constellation-balcony-cabin-63486.jpg

royal-class-balcony-1600.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Thank you for explaining your view to me.  I just think that Princess should supply the furniture.

There would be more room if they took the bed too!   Not sure if I could haul an inflatable mattress on the airplane...:classic_dry:

Just looked at the Celebrity site. The prices actually look  better and you get a sofa in the definetly will book them on next cruise. They do go to Asia which I am considering for next year.Hard to understand why Princess is going a different direction.

Edited by oskidunker

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Why can't you just move the balcony table / chair in when needed once or twice? What am I missing?

You could move a balcony chair/table inside -- if you have a balcony. 

But Ocean View cabins are also being stripped of the chair.

This is a move by PCL to make the less expensive cabins uncomfortable enough to encourage customers to buy deluxe balconies & up.  There may be other motives too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The idea of removing chairs to create more space got me thinking.  Why doesn't Princess also remove the beds (to save space) and replace them with roll-up mattresses?  

Hank

Maybe next they’ll have an adjustable combination couch/bed like on Virgin Voyages?  Maybe Princess will next add Murphy Beds?

There’s enough space for me to move around my cabin so there’s no need to remove the one comfortable chair because as Princess states passengers wanted the chair removed...who are those passengers?  Even passengers posting that they don’t use the chair understand the importance to many passengers who for health reasons need it.  

Princess only understands that removing the chairs saves them money, may get passengers out of their cabins to spend more money, may result in less room service and may generate more income by having passengers booking premium balcony or higher cabins to have a comfortable chair.  

This change has absolutely nothing to do about having more space to walk in the cabin...it’s solely an effort to generate more profits.

5F589FA1-5CF0-42B1-8563-7787CA4A857A.gif

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Makes no sense to me either.....a few photos of their competition....Cunard, Celebrity and Holland balcony cabins and then the new Princess "Standing Room Only" cabins.  

Choice will be pretty easy for us now even though we do not want to leave Princess.  Hope they think it through again!

club-stateroom--v16923668-cc-576.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

celebrity-constellation-balcony-cabin-63486.jpg

royal-class-balcony-1600.jpg

Just about every other cruise line has better cabin seating options than Princess.😢

• Like 4

I can’t recall the exact configuration of the cabin as per the location of storage. But all things being equal I’d give up the desk assuming there are drawers elsewhere. Desk for us is a landing spot for junk. And give me a mini sofa in its place. Or even the barrel chair at this point!