Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

4 minutes ago, swomom said:

Please know that I am not being argumentative......but....it is rather hollow victory If I go to another cruise line.  I can do that. I can feel very smug about my decision. But it will not make one smidge of difference to Princess....they will go on without me. My question is....how do we get the chairs back?

True....they sell out their cruises regardless.

Not at all happy about this either.  ☹️

• Like 2

They may keep the few still on ships or may get some non fabric chairs that would be easier to maintain. If they were removed as a safety issue then why was it a six month trial as one cos rep Reported?

they may back track on this if they get enough complaints. 

The cruises sell sell out for now. Whatbprice they have provide in the future may be lower if long time elites go elsewhere. Something to consider, no?

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They may keep the few still on ships or may get some non fabric chairs that would be easier to maintain. If they were removed as a safety issue then why was it a six month trial as one cos rep Reported?

The cruises sell sell out for now. Whatbprice they have provide in the future may be lower if long time elites go elsewhere. Something to consider, no?

IMO.........New cruisers will know nothing about chairs being taken away.

25 minutes ago, swomom said:

Please know that I am not being argumentative......but....it is rather hollow victory If I go to another cruise line.  I can do that. I can feel very smug about my decision. But it will not make one smidge of difference to Princess....they will go on without me. My question is....how do we get the chairs back?

It is so hard when cruise lines make decisions that really, really, really bother us.  I have decided when I'm not happy with something a line does (we sail at least four lines) I don't feel bad looking for another option.  The sad thing today is that these types of decisions are rampant and there isn't much we can do about it.  I do say write and be persistent but in the end, the only thing that will make a difference is when they begin losing customers because of a decision  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

True. Are most people new cruisers? 

I didn't say that. I said new cruisers, not most.

As I stated before CC is a miniscule number when it comes to Princess participation compared with the thousands and thousands that have never heard of CC and cruise Princess. 

Break that down even further to those that say they will leave due to the removal of the chair and then those that will actually follow through.  It will make little difference and Princess will continue to fill up their cruises.

As I said I am not happy with this decision by Princess either.

All I can say is express your displeasure to the powers that be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the OP that started this post - so thanks to all for the comments - and to Princess I hope you bring back the chairs but I wont hold my breath. I'm sure we all have seen how Princess is trying to squeeze more profits out of our cruising experience, by cutting, food quality, waitstaff, and now no chairs... Princess if you need more money raise your cruise price don't cut quality. (my 2018 Cadillac cost me more than my 2014)

We just finished our 27th Princess cruise, (Princess is our first cruise line) and are now looking elsewhere for our next cruise  - To bad I really loved you guy's

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, swomom said:

Just scope out the color of the tags on the mailboxes as you wander down the p-way.  Especially on Alaskan cruises there are tons of blue tags.

On Caribbean cruises too but the longer more exotic the itinerary, the more platinum and elites. 

My wife prefers Princess, but it has been a while since we cruised with them. No matter which line we cruise we enjoy our private space in our cabin as well as room service. Since the seating is better on other lines in standard balcony cabins, we will not travel Princess if the cabin comfort is not what is expected. I hate sitting on the bed. 

Our next trip budget has allowed us to be booked on the Royal Princess in a mini suite so cabin comfort won't be an issue.

I will no longer consider Princess standard balcony as an option and will spend our cruise vacation dollars on other lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I didn't say that. I said new cruisers, not most.

As I stated before CC is a miniscule number when it comes to Princess participation compared with the thousands and thousands that have never heard of CC and cruise Princess. 

Break that down even further to those that say they will leave due to the removal of the chair and then those that will actually follow through.  It will make little difference and Princess will continue to fill up their cruises.

As I said I am not happy with this decision by Princess either.

All I can say is express your displeasure to the powers that be.

I was really surprised by this thread. We never used the chair and appreciate the extra room, but I can now see many people do want the chair. Perhaps Princess was unaware of how much people like the chair, and they will change the policy if there is enough complaints. I agree, complain if you want any response from Princess.

For people saying they are going to other lines. I am often on the Celebrity, Oceania and Holland America boards, and people are threatening to leave those lines too over changes or perceived downgrading of service. 

As far as going over to Cunard, Crystal etc., be prepared for some sticker shock. Those will be awful expensive chairs.

I hope everyone gets their chairs back. 

Edited by RMMariner
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Money talks. Book Celebrity. 

We did.  😉But we have one more Princess cruise to complete next month first. 

I still like Princess, but one thing my husband has always liked is a place to sit, besides a bed, and X has always had a sofa in their cabins.  

• Like 1

I have emailed Jan Swartz as suggested and got a read receipt so know it got delivered. No response as yet that was several days ago. Followed up today. We live in New Zealand and are a small market but politeness alone says that at least I should have received some response!!

6 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Took about a week for me to get a response.Lady was very nice but had no way to help.

Mine took I think just a little more than a week.   Like your call, the lady was very nice person, but no help in getting a  chair.  

7 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

How do we make our voices heard? Money talks. I just cancelled my 2020 Australia cruise. Damned if I'm going to fly halfway around the world for a cabin with no place to sit.
Will probably try HAL, owned by the same parent company but at least you get a loveseat in the balcony cabins. Saner management?

The only way to make your voice heard to make sure Princess knows why you cancelled.

Have you E-mailed Princess management to let them know this?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

If the chairs still existed, they might have backtracked. But you can be sure almost all removed chairs no longer exist at Princess and it is very doubtful they would spend the $$$ to purchase news ones across the fleet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

If the chairs still existed, trhey might have backtracked. But you can be sure almost all removed chairs no longer exist at Princess and it is very doubtful they would spend the $$$ to purchase news ones across the fleet.

Sadly enough, I am sure you’re right....they are gone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The only way to make your voice heard to make sure Princess knows why you cancelled.

Have you E-mailed Princess management to let them know this?

I did. And I let my TA know why I was cancelling and she said she would pass it along as well.

I did get a call yesterday from Princess, but not recognizing the number it went to voicemail. Scott left a very polite message that he had called and wished to discuss the issue with me. I called back but now we're playing phone tag. 

Seriously, vote with your feet if this is an issue important to you. For us, it's ridiculous to not have a comfortable chair in a cabin, no matter what cabin "class" you're sailing. Plenty of other lines to choose from out there.

It's a shame though, because we do enjoy Princess.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Mine took I think just a little more than a week.   Like your call, the lady was very nice person, but no help in getting a  chair.  

"The only way to make your voice heard to make sure Princess knows why you cancelled"

[I wanted to respond to 2 posts]

*At some point, will Princess realize how much staff time they are wasting as they respond to complaints about the chairs?  Of course staff time may be cheaper than chairs.

**Yes, if you cancel a cruise, be sure to let Princess know why!  May I also suggest that someone 

start a separate thread here on the Princess forum: "No chairs, cancelled my cruise"

Then, also post your cancellation on Facebook's Princess Cruise Lovers.

There's another group on FB dedicated to questions & discussing Princess staterooms. Lately, I've responded to several questions & explained the lack of chairs in the cabins.

4 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I did. And I let my TA know why I was cancelling and she said she would pass it along as well.

I did get a call yesterday from Princess, but not recognizing the number it went to voicemail. Scott left a very polite message that he had called and wished to discuss the issue with me. I called back but now we're playing phone tag. 

Seriously, vote with your feet if this is an issue important to you. For us, it's ridiculous to not have a comfortable chair in a cabin, no matter what cabin "class" you're sailing. Plenty of other lines to choose from out there.

It's a shame though, because we do enjoy Princess.

I agree. we will have to vote with our feet.  I truly love Princess, but I love my bad back more.  For us it is a health issue.  With out a chair (basic comfort) my back will be in a lot of pain, as to where it was not worth to go on the cruise.

3 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

"The only way to make your voice heard to make sure Princess knows why you cancelled"

[I wanted to respond to 2 posts]

*At some point, will Princess realize how much staff time they are wasting as they respond to complaints about the chairs?  Of course staff time may be cheaper than chairs.

**Yes, if you cancel a cruise, be sure to let Princess know why!  May I also suggest that someone 

start a separate thread here on the Princess forum: "No chairs, cancelled my cruise"

Then, also post your cancellation on Facebook's Princess Cruise Lovers.

There's another group on FB dedicated to questions & discussing Princess staterooms. Lately, I've responded to several questions & explained the lack of chairs in the cabins.

Right now I can not cancel.  We sail in a few days.  I could use the cancel for any reason  in our ins.  But then I will still have to sail in the future.  So, no gain for us.  Now I am looking for next winter cruises.  I am looking at the many other lines that I have status on.  It will come down to price match for a cabin with two chairs in or a sofa in it.  I will not sit on a bed.  I can't do that at home and will not pay a cruise line to do that..  I have been to the Caribbean more times than I can count, so where the ship goes does not matter.  But I will cruise.  Just what line.  If I have a place to sit on Princess, then it might still be Princess.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Right now I can not cancel.  We sail in a few days.  I could use the cancel for any reason  in our ins.  But then I will still have to sail in the future.  So, no gain for us.  Now I am looking for next winter cruises.  I am looking at the many other lines that I have status on.  It will come down to price match for a cabin with two chairs in or a sofa in it.  I will not sit on a bed.  I can't do that at home and will not pay a cruise line to do that..  I have been to the Caribbean more times than I can count, so where the ship goes does not matter.  But I will cruise.  Just what line.  If I have a place to sit on Princess, then it might still be Princess.

Good point in doing price comparisons between lines.  I was looking at Celebrity...comparing balcony cost to Princess and Princess seems less expensive.  But if a place to sit is needed in the cabin, then I should really be comparing Princess mini suite to Celebrity balcony rooms.  

• Like 1