Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

This decision may have unintended negative consequences for both passengers and Princess.

Passengers:  I have to assume that inflicting physical pain on those with back trouble who decide to spend time in their non-suite level rooms is unintentional...otherwise, it’s unconscionable.

Princess: I often have difficulty finding a seat to enjoy my purchased coffee at the International Cafe because many passengers are there reading and playing cards...sometimes with a thermos of free coffee taken from HC or their own water bottles... sometimes with no drink at all.  This problem will only be worse if passengers are driven from their rooms by pain.  And they will be right to take this prime space and spend no money.

For those of you still committed to cruising Princess and looking for a pain-free quiet place, I recommend bringing earplugs or noise reduction ear muffs.  The ear muffs are not subtle, but they work and people will not try to engage you in conversation.  I recommend Medalia d’Oro instant espresso; it is easy to dissolve even in cold water or milk.  I am sorry you can no longer expect comfort in your room. 

I wonder if the Piazza will appear to be an attractive space for the younger demographic Princess is after, if it is full of older passengers wearing ear muffs, reading Kindles, and drinking from thermoses.  I think not.

Edited by Loreni
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think all the Elites should have barrel/tub chairs in their cabin, they have spent enough $ with Carnival Corporation to earn one.  What say ye?  Standby for incoming.🤣

As for moving those folk from their chairs in Piazza and IC, it would be an effort as they appear 'super glued' to them.:classic_laugh:

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Apparently such changes are even occurring at some luxury cruise lines.  A former Crystal DSM shared that even Crystal attempted to make an unwanted change until their past passengers mutinied. 😠

“Crystal removed the couch in some of their balcony cabins and put in just one chair and people had a FIT!!!  Their past passengers were so pissed!!!  Within a short period of time they were swapping them back out for the couches again!  Stupid, stupid move”.

Although based on past Princess inaction to upset passengers, I doubt if Princess will return the chairs.  They care less about passengers & more about profits and doubt if they’ll respond like Crystal.  Only if profits decrease will they then consider if it’s cost effective for them to provide a comfortable chair to passengers who pay less.  Maybe this is the next step towards a two class Princess cruise experience which began with Club Class...back to the good old days of multiple class sailing. 🙄

Hey Princess...it’s a “Stupid, stupid move”. 😡

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Possible conversation at Princess. 

Lets remove the chairs. They cost too much to maintain. 

But passengers  may not like not having anywhere to sit in their rooms. 

We dont want them in their rooms. We want them out spending money

oh, right. 

05B619D7-BE09-44C0-997C-207CC2DD0397.jpeg

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Brilliant. I can only suggest that you also bring your robe and slippers for true "in-cabin" comfort.

I love this - imagine a kind of "mutiny" where everyone gets together and wears their nightwear and slippers in the public areas in the sole search of a chair.  It really would be amusing 🙂  Thankfully for our first ever Princess cruise we have a mini suite - it was all that was left when we booked!

I'm a little late to this party and trying to catch up. Question - was there an announcement/rationale about the decision to remove the chairs or did they suddenly just disappear from the rooms? If they just disappeared, did Princess maybe think nobody would notice (or care)? Is this fleetwide or certain ships only? And what cabins? Just balconies or all that originally had a chair (I think balcony and higher had them?)

Now on to the "benefit of the doubt" section....maybe they removed the chairs to replace them with something better? But what? Certainly not a sofa as most balcony cabins are not big enough. Maybe a better chair? Nah. I'm not buying it. I just don't know what the reason for removing them would be - even if you never used the chair or had no desire for it to be in the room, I can't see enough passengers causing a fuss for it to become such a big issue that Princess felt the need to remove them?

It would be interesting to hear just exactly how many people take the time to formally complain about the missing chair in their end of cruise survey. I read earlier in this thread some folks put their tables in the closet to give them more space. Maybe Princess thinks their doing a good thing, especially if not too many folks are formally complaining about it. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

21 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

And what cabins? Just balconies or all that originally had a chair (I think balcony and higher had them?)

As I reported on our cruises all our rooms (2 obstructed oceanviews, 2 balconies, 1 minisuite) all had a chair prior to our last cruise (Nov 2018).  And that one was a balcony room and no chair.

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

As I reported on our cruises all our rooms (2 obstructed oceanviews, 2 balconies, 1 minisuite) all had a chair prior to our last cruise (Nov 2018).  And that one was a balcony room and no chair.

Oceanview had a chair previously? I recall the desk chair in both oceanview and inside but never an additional bucket chair? Or are you saying the desk chair has been removed, too?

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

Oceanview had a chair previously? I recall the desk chair in both oceanview and inside but never an additional bucket chair? Or are you saying the desk chair has been removed, too?

Two times on Star Princess (2017 & 2018), both times in an obstructed oceanview room (desk chair plus barrel chair):

1824643445_2801P1120072starE607obsOV.thumb.JPG.7f56603ce01b9b2aae5914d3cb5cc17a.JPG

1835993142_P1160416starhawaiiE602obsOV.thumb.JPG.702f3c9f1ee542dcf2a4b35b02e0c4d8.JPG

Just now, Shmoo here said:

Two times on Star Princess (2017 & 2018), both times in an obstructed oceanview room (desk chair plus barrel chair):

1824643445_2801P1120072starE607obsOV.thumb.JPG.7f56603ce01b9b2aae5914d3cb5cc17a.JPG

1835993142_P1160416starhawaiiE602obsOV.thumb.JPG.702f3c9f1ee542dcf2a4b35b02e0c4d8.JPG

Wow! Just as the old saying goes "Don't know what you got til it's gone"....I honestly don't remember that barrel chair! Thanks for the pics! I still don't understand the purpose of removing it???

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm a little late to this party and trying to catch up. Question - was there an announcement/rationale about the decision to remove the chairs or did they suddenly just disappear from the rooms?  No announcement. This thread is because past cruisers who are on Cruise Critic noticed the chairs have been disappearing. If they just disappeared, did Princess maybe think nobody would notice (or care)? Is this fleetwide or certain ships only? Fleetwide. And what cabins? Just balconies or all that originally had a chair (I think balcony and higher had them?) All cabins below premium balconies.

Now on to the "benefit of the doubt" section....maybe they removed the chairs to replace them with something better? Nope. Not replacing them with anything.  But what? Certainly not a sofa as most balcony cabins are not big enough. Maybe a better chair? Nah. I'm not buying it. I just don't know what the reason for removing them would be - even if you never used the chair or had no desire for it to be in the room, I can't see enough passengers causing a fuss for it to become such a big issue that Princess felt the need to remove them? I doubt many passengers complained about having a second chair in the cabin, but a number do not use it and Princess may have noticed this.

From a conversation with a Princess customer service rep Friday:

a) They started removing the chairs last fall and they will be removed fleetwide.

b) They did not start getting calls and E-mails about the chairs being removed until recently and are surprised this is suddenly an issue. (That is good work fellow Cruise Critic posters on this thread!)

c) Management is being informed about complaints about the removal, but that dies not mean anything will change.

d) She had no idea where a second person could sit comfortably when room service is used or if a balcony dinner has to be moved inside due to bad weather,

e) The Majestic never had the chairs when it came into service.

f) The couches on the Pacific Princess will not be removed.

g) She knew of no plans to remove the glass topped tables.

I just turned in our Future Cruise Deposit form. On the back, I wrote that due to Princess decision to not provide seating for the second passenger, we would no longer be sailing with Princess. Did they care? Not one bit. 

Very sad after 22 years. We will be dealing with this issue in our survey and also sending corporate an email when we return from our cruise. 

Denise 

• Like 1

On February 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM, louden said:

I have been following this thread for the last few days and now seems the time to express my opinions about what I consider to be the decline in the Princess "product".  Some may agree and I'm sure many will take issue but these are my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying we have been Loyal and Proud members of the Captain’s Circle for about 12 years.  Our first cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess on a seven day Caribbean cruise.  We were impressed with the size of the ship, the wonderful selection of entertainment in numerous venues, great food and our wonderful balcony cabin.  However, what impressed us most was the friendliness and competency of the crew.  This one aspect of the Princess product is what has kept us coming back for 37 cruises since that time.  Our cruises have ranged from 2 to 32 day voyages in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, trans-atlantics, Panamas and Tahiti.

Since our first cruise we have witnessed a decrease in the appeal of the product.  Following is a series of events which we believe have lessened the enjoyment of the Princess product to the point where we are considering taking alternative forms of vacation:

•      The introduction of the Royal Princess.  Following great fanfare this ship was a huge dis-appointment.  Let me state the shortcomings that come to mind:

·        The largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        The loss of the walk around promenade.

·        The loss of the aft pool

·        Both main pools adjacent

·        Useless water feature

·        Main theater without side isles.

·        No center staircase

·        Princess Live.

·        Vista lounge seating.

·        Loss of Wheelhouse lounge.

·        Loss of Skywalkers.

·        Did I mention the largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        Continuing to introduce more of this class of ship

Note:  It is obvious that Princess noted some of these deficiencies since they attempted to correct some with the launch of subsequent ships of this class.

2.      Next came the butchering of the Island Princess

3.      The balcony furniture on the fleet was progressively replaced with less comfortable furniture.

4.      Balcony furniture went from 4 chairs to two without ottomans.  The large table was replaced with a small one barely large enough to hold two drinks.

5.      The Platinum/Elite lounge drink selection was changed to very unappealing choices.

6.      Increased drink prices and the loss of the Silver level wine card.

7.      A decrease in the quality and sophistication of the menu items in the dining rooms.

8.      Now the latest, the removal of the tub chair and table from the cabins.  Where am I to sit while my SO does her hair and makeup?  Dumb and dumber!

9.      Inconsistency of policy and practices between ships.

Enough complaining.  We have enjoyed our 37 Princess cruises and in fact have five more booked in the next 18 months.  As I stated at the outset what keeps us returning, avoiding the Royal class where possible, are the crew members.  From the bridge to the engine room they are outstanding.  However, changes to our travel plans are on the horizon.

What do u mean by useless balconys? 

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow! Just as the old saying goes "Don't know what you got til it's gone"....I honestly don't remember that barrel chair! Thanks for the pics! I still don't understand the purpose of removing it???

paved paradise, put up a parking lot ...

7 hours ago, caribill said:

I doubt many passengers complained about having a second chair in the cabin, but a number do not use it and Princess may have noticed this.

Just curious - How would Princess notice whether or not, or how much, a passenger used the chair?

35 minutes ago, dchip said:

I just turned in our Future Cruise Deposit form. On the back, I wrote that due to Princess decision to not provide seating for the second passenger, we would no longer be sailing with Princess. Did they care? Not one bit. 

Very sad after 22 years. We will be dealing with this issue in our survey and also sending corporate an email when we return from our cruise. 

Denise 

Sorry that you are forced out of Princess.  You were a good customer, not everybody can do a 49 day cruise.  But, I do agree with you.  The same may happen to us too.

I have a very bad back and my DH has issues too.  He is also up in years. We liked Princess because they gave my DH the military OBC, but my veteran DH would also like a chair to sit on.

We will wait and see if there are any change in this policy.

We were on Royal Princess in Dec 2018 and there was only one chair.  I just thought it was a mistake.  I ask for the chair and the steward brought me one.  I never gave it another thought.  We were on Regal in Jan 2019 and our balcony cabin did have two chairs.  So, once again I did not think about it.  

I do hope that compassion returns to Princess, and that Princess shows that they really do care about the comfort of all PAX, not just the ones spending big money on a cabin. Kindness would not cost Princess much. But the returns of kindness is abundance in good PR 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 2:12 AM, floridalover5623 said:

I have not read all of this thread but has anyone requested a chair & been turned down?

YES! ....I am on the Royal Princess currently.  I asked asked the room steward and was told I could NOT have a barrel chair, because they are gone and will not be available any longer.

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

YES! ....I am on the Royal Princess currently.  I asked asked the room steward and was told I could NOT barrel chair, because they are gone and will not be available any longer.

An they get you any kind of chair other than a barrel chair?