Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you have something there. Really, what are people complaining about, Princess is still giving you two chairs, you just have to haul them inside or outside, depending on where you want them.

(Just kidding of course. The sad thing is that even with this arrangement, folks in OV or inside cabins still get stuck with only a single chair. As some presidents would say, #SAD.

Moving a balcony chair inside a balcony cabin has been previously suggested as an alternative.

Although those in the Princess Ivory Tower could care less about the affects of dragging a balcony chair inside unless it results in additional carpeting expenses.  However our cabin attendant’s workload would increase when those dirty salt encrusted chairs are dragged into cabins but like you I wouldn’t do it but some may seriously consider doing it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

47 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you have something there. Really, what are people complaining about, Princess is still giving you two chairs, you just have to haul them inside or outside, depending on where you want them.

(Just kidding of course. The unfortunate thing is that even with this arrangement, folks in OV or inside cabins still get stuck with only a single chair. As some presidents would say, #SAD.)

I don't think inside cabins ever had the chair. They are quite small rooms.

8 hours ago, bemis12 said:

That’s true.  People pretend they’re going to cruise other cruise lines every time something changes. 

It’s hard to say how upset people are about this. It’s mostly the same very vocal people over and over on this board. 

We left  Princess for over 3 years when we experienced a decline in certain things that we had grown accustomed to. We didn’t miss it one bit, either, and enjoyed what other cruise lines had to offer in the interim.  

We decided to give them another chance and tried the Royal Class ships and have enjoyed the Princess product ever since, until....... However, they’re starting to do some odd things again, like removing the little comfort that even exists in an inside or ocean view cabin, for those who don’t have balconies, and most everyone doesn’t like to sit on the bed to have a cocktail or eat their continental breakfast.  Even our inside, tiny Royal Caribbean cabin had a sofa, as well as all the Other cruise lines we’ve sailed on. 

In fact, two years ago I was being cheap and booked a balcony cabin on the Royal Princess and not a Deluxe balcony, which comes with a love seat.  

We both missed having a love seat a lot. My husband enjoys reading his books,

while I nap. 

He always utilizes that chair, and now to find out that there will be no place to sit or read, except the bed or the desk chair, is ridiculous.  

So,  in our case, we didn’t pretend we were going over to other cruise lines; we actually did  go else where  for years, and we can leave again, and might, after our cruise next month.  🌸🍾😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just as another woman mentioned, I too am now a widow and stay alone in my cabin although I travel each time with a friend who has a cabin of her own too.  Each of us is paying twice as much for our cabins and receiving less than before.  I like to invite my friend in for a chat or a drink and  always end up sitting on the bed.  In a cabin occupied by two people, one must always sit on the bed.  That is a ridiculous situation.  My cruise mates and I are all Elite and feel that Princess has used very poor judgement in making this change.   Try doing the in-cabin tea that is an Elite amenity while sitting on the bed, although Princess will probably take that away too!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I don't think inside cabins ever had the chair. They are quite small rooms.

We had the chair in our inside cabin on the Golden back in 2014, cabin B329 and my mother’s cabin, B333, right next to ours had the chair as well.  

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 1

Never mind. I attached a video which showed the chair inside the inside cabin, but unfortunately , the video was from a travel agency, so I deleted it.  It was from October 2012

Edited by 4cats4me

10 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I doubt if that many loyal customers will jump cruise lines after all is said & done. They'll just accept it along with all the other cutbacks & move on. 

I have been watching this thread with interest.  We are Diamond+ with Royal Caribbean and I decided it was time to try a few different cruise lines to see what they offer - not because we are unhappy with RCI but just to explore.  We have a 14 night Japan trip booked with HAL because their itinerary was better than RCI or X and they had availability for the type of cabin we wanted.   I booked a very short last minute cruise (2 nights) on Princess for a great price for a balcony guarantee to get a taste of what Princess offers - we board next week.  I was surprised the cabin didn't have the usual sofa and the balcony looks tiny - but it doesn't really matter for two nights.  However, I would definitely factor these plus only having one chair into consideration for longer cruises.    It isn't only the loyal princess customers they need to worry about.

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 5

On 2/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, deliver42 said:

Celebrity S or M Class has everything you are looking for. Nice balconies and sofas and chairs inside.

I concur.

I am elite level on Princess, but just returned today from my first Celebrity cruise (on the Celebrity Silhouette).  Stunningly beautiful ship and a very innovative design.  Crew very welcoming and officers very visible.

Back on subject - cabin seating.  I had a basic balcony cabin.  It came with a sofa (too long to be called a loveseat, in my opinion) and a very comfortable desk chair, with a fully padded back.  There was an oval wood coffee table in front of the sofa.  The balcony had two adjustable chairs and a good-sized round table.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, swomom said:

Cutbacks are one thing—-taking out the one comfortable chair and ruining the beds by forcing people to sit on them......that does not sound like a win for P....or for the passengers. I doubt that even Candace Olson (sp) and the back doctor can design a bed that can withstand constant sitting on the edge. Pretty soon the beds will become a danger because people roll off the sides!

While we still had the barrel chair on Caribbean Princess last month, we did think it was hard to sit on their new mattress because you felt like you would slide off the edge. Very comfortable to sleep on, but difficult to sit on the edge of it.

11 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

We had the chair in our inside cabin on the Golden back in 2014, cabin B329 and my mother’s cabin, B333, right next to ours had the chair as well.  

Thank you for the correction. 🙂

The new "C Class" will be introduced soon. The new "Chair Class" will, for a nominal charge, provide a semi-comfortable chair to the first and second cruisers in the same room. ( Chair Class is not available to the third and fourth persons occupying the same room) 

Cruisers not booked in Chair Class may participate in the new BYOC program. One chair per person may be carried on at boarding. There will be a "sittage fee" of $15.00 per chair and each chair will be marked with an official BYOC stamp. Any chairs found onboard that do not have the official BYOC stamp will be confiscated.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Despite not being directly affected by the PCL Chair Bandits, both wife and I deeply criticized them in our just submitted surveys from our recent trip on the Grand. 

I have never had Princess react to any of my remarks that I have made after a cruise on those surveys.  I think they only ask for them to make it sound like they are interested in their performance. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

I have never had Princess react to any of my remarks that I have made after a cruise on those surveys.  I think they only ask for them to make it sound like they are interested in their performance. 

I have several times sent email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com and have gotten phone calls in response. Of course I worded my email politely which likely helps.

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have several times sent email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com and have gotten phone calls in response. Of course I worded my email politely which likely helps.

Yes I understand when you send emails to customer relations you normally get a phone call back but not that it has ever changed the problem that I wrote about.

I was actually referring to the surveys that Princess comes out with at the end of the cruise.  This is where no matter what you write good or bad experiences that I have never had a reply and after some 20 years now I am convinced that these survey requests are only "lip service" and to make the customer feel that something may be done but is actually totally ignored. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, damiross said:

Another email address for Princess: accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com

Here's a copy of an email I sent to the above address and Jan Swartz:

As a loyal Princess cruiser, I’m somewhat confused.  You say that your passengers “come back new” yet, with only one chair in the cabin, how can I come back new?  The bed is for sleeping one.  A chair is for sitting on.  However, it appears that the policy of Princess now is to require a person to either stand or sit on the bed when two people are in a cabin. 

A lot of people in the age group that both my wife and I and many Princess cruises have bad backs.  Sitting on the bed or standing does not help us.  We want to sit on a chair, not a bed.   

Both as a Princess loyalist and a stockholder in Carnival, I want to see the second chair returned to the cabin.

Here’s an equation in which there is only one correct answer:  1 cabin + 2 passengers = 2 chairs.

Reply from access office:

This is being forwarded to our Customer Relations Department for their perusal. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, damiross said:

1 hour ago, Pstcrik said:

I agree. We have never had a follow up on any survey we have ever completed, and we complete them after EVERY cruise.

1 hour ago, Pstcrik said:

Yes I understand when you send emails to customer relations you normally get a phone call back but not that it has ever changed the problem that I wrote about.

I’ve seen emails from upset customers (including me) result in a couple of changes after emailing Customer Relations:

• The Regal’s unannounced fee for Alfredo’s Pizzeria ($10 included glass of wine or soda) was rescinded within a few days.
  • When pre-payment for tours began they eventually allowed us to prepay using OBC.

Sometimes we win when fighting city hall but most times we lose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

The new "C Class" will be introduced soon. The new "Chair Class" will, for a nominal charge, provide a semi-comfortable chair to the first and second cruisers in the same room. ( Chair Class is not available to the third and fourth persons occupying the same room) 

Cruisers not booked in Chair Class may participate in the new BYOC program. One chair per person may be carried on at boarding. There will be a "sittage fee" of $15.00 per chair and each chair will be marked with an official BYOC stamp. Any chairs found onboard that do not have the official BYOC stamp will be confiscated.

I've got my order in already. :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Do you think there will be an option for a mini-couch upgrade too?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 10:15 PM, caribill said:

...doubtful they would spend the $$$ to purchase news ones across the fleet.

Removal of the chair MUST be result of some money saving scheme by corporate. It would appear the bean counters have taken over and the dollar is their new god. A chair, smaller portions in the dining room, void coffee cards bought with a different policy even a a rationing of butter per table. If they don't want repeat business, that's their call. 

As Far as making contact with Princess pertaining to the chair, spoke with a rep about two weeks ago. We talked for a couple of minutes about our upcoming cruise, I then asked about the procedure on requesting a chair. There was a half beat pause before she obviously began reading a prepared statement. Bottom line she had no actual knowledge of what is happeening on any of the ships. 

Because of scandals, misconducts and plain lies we have boycotted certain corporations. While we have not been on a Princess ship recently, if what Iv'e read turns out as reality in about 50 days, Princess will be ignored in future cruises.