Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

6 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Over 1000 posts about chair being removed from the staterooms? All I have to say is wow.  Could care one way or the other about the chair in the whole scheme of things about my cruising experiences.

Pooh

I have been following this thread for a while and am not overly concerned about the removal of the chair, but I do understand that it may present a hardship for older cruisers who need more back support than sitting on the bed.  We’re not at that stage yet, but we are at that stage where we’re more aware of our aging backs.  In summary, we think that Princess’s decision was unnecessary and unfortunate.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Sit in the Atrium instead. If the Atrium is full of those needing two chairs in the cabin, tell Princess why you are sitting there if someone asks.

The tables & chairs in the atrium/Piazza are almost always filled & besides that, no one would even ask you why you're sitting there. 

Also, the music is overwhelming at times, especially on the Royal class ships where dance classes are usually held during the day. At my age it's the last thing I need.

I prefer a quiet place to sit while watching the water and crocheting or listening to my music. Perhaps Princess will rethink their chair removal program when enough people are sitting by the buffet for lack of a better choice. And yes, I will share my table if asked nicely.

• Like 1

I've been following this thread for a long time and yes, there are those who don't care about having a chair but seriously Princess cruisers... do you realise that it is only Princess who doesn't have a couch and a chair?  I've never cruised without the comfort of a separate "lounge" area (Celebrity, Cunard, Royal Caribbean and P&O Australia).  It's absolutely crazy to even design ships without this option.  Complain away everyone - Princess needs to sort this out!!

• Like 11

14 hours ago, voljeep said:

# 1000 - wow , just wow

And still no public response from Princess on the sneaky move they are making and false advertising they are doing.....bottom line is this should have never been a problem in the first place if they would just have left well enough alone leaving the cabins as they were.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

And yes, I will share my table if asked nicely.

So you are now bringing your table to the atrium?  🙂 

Hope you get asked nicely, but you might need to be prepared for someone to just sit in an occupied chair in the atrium area.

I have another reason for being angry about the missing chair. My mom who travels solo likes to come over to hang out. Inside the room we just sit on the bed, but we like to party on our balcony. I always drag the barrel chair out to the balcony and enjoy all the comforts of home. Unfortunately the steward feels different and would drag it back in each night.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pro76 said:

I have another reason for being angry about the missing chair. My mom who travels solo likes to come over to hang out. Inside the room we just sit on the bed, but we like to party on our balcony. I always drag the barrel chair out to the balcony and enjoy all the comforts of home. Unfortunately the steward feels different and would drag it back in each night.

The barrel chair on  the balcony would be effected by the weather.  That is why the steward brings in back inside.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pro76 said:

So, you always drag the upholstered barrel chair out to the balcony? And you expect Stewart to drag the chair back in for you each night?  :classic_ohmy:   

I  have to wonder what the upholstery cleaning bill must be.  Maybe that’s one reason why Princess decided to remove the chair? :classic_biggrin: 

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1

I don't Tweet, but has anyone started a Twitter thread on this topic?  Just read a note on Princess FB forum about a cruise on the Golden in NZ where the author had trouble finding a seat to drink a cup of coffee because all the available chairs around the various areas were occupied.  Ended up at the very aft end of the ship before being able to find a place to sit.  I wonder how much of this is the effect of the lack of chairs in the staterooms!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Just boarded the Majestic Princess in Sydney. We are in a mini suite. Not sure whether there ever was a barrel chair in mini suites but there definitely isn’t one in ours.

We had a mini suite on the Regal and I’m thinking we had a sofa and a chair with arms.  I don’t remember if it was a barrel chair but I don’t think so.  Do you have a chair with arms along with the sofa...and desk chair?

56 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Just boarded the Majestic Princess in Sydney. We are in a mini suite. Not sure whether there ever was a barrel chair in mini suites but there definitely isn’t one in ours.

Usually the Barrel Chair - and a desk Chair . . . what about the glass top table? Gone as well?

2 minutes ago, mar2dav0 said:

Usually the Barrel Chair - and a desk Chair . . . what about the glass top table? Gone as well?

We’ve got the glass topped table. Have moved it into where I expect the chair would have been, ie under the TV near the balcony door. Will move it back when we need to use it.

So are they taking the chairs from mini suites too, maybe for safety reasons.  Or maybe those who book mini suites also like extra space.

Or do those in mini suites still get the barrel chair? If so, why?  Don’t they like space and safety?

There has always been enough room in the balcony and ocean view cabins for the barrel chair before.  Could it be that Princess wants more differentiation between the cabin classes (They certainly are proud of the new Sky Suites).  There’s is only so much Princess can do to enhance the mini suites and suites.  So to get greater differentiation between them, they may have decided to remove basic comfort features from the majority of the cabins.  This will make those sailing in suites and mini suites feel more special.  

1 hour ago, Geoffa30 said:

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Everyone knows the chair has not been taken out of the mini suites 

Princess has said that they never put the barrel chairs on the Majestic.

While my TA was talking to an experienced Princess rep today about a change in our family group’s reservation, the Princess rep said to just ask (or insist) that the steward provide a barrel chair for our cabin.

I’ll request one next month however based on no one being able to get a chair on ships where they’ve been removed I’m skeptical if we’ll get a chair.  Their reps can only give information provided to them by their bosses but posts have said they’re being offloaded.  

I don’t know who to believe...Princess who states a chair is available upon request or stewards who say their unavailable...or maybe they just don’t want to get a chair from storage to bring it to our cabins.

On the Ruby now. Chair, of course, is gone. Passenger services says they are all gone. And he didn’t know why. 

I assessed the cabin. If you move the fridge into the closet next to the shelving unit there is lots of room for a comfy chair. The fridge space, which used to hold tv, is wasted space. 

Btw. New flatscreen mounted TVs are very nice. Lots of demand options. Although you do need to lay or sit on bed to watch. 

Medallionet works great around ship. Not so great in cabin. Still worth $59 a week. 

Well I board within a week and my first mission will be to find my room steward and as suggested by the phone call I received from J. Swartz office where I was told to ask for a chair when I board (which I am not holding my breath for) and if I am told none exists then I will carry on to passenger services and then to bring the subject up at the captains circle (gala of watered down drinks ?) where I do hope the Captain attend's and then on to the supper table for conversation.  I am still ticked that when I paid for this balcony that I was not put aware that some of the comforts that you believe you were going to get are no longer.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

Well I board within a week and my first mission will be to find my room steward and as suggested by the phone call I received from J. Swartz office where I was told to ask for a chair when I board (which I am not holding my breath for) and if I am told none exists then I will carry on to passenger services and then to bring the subject up at the captains circle (gala of watered down drinks ?) where I do hope the Captain attend's and then on to the supper table for conversation.  I am still ticked that when I paid for this balcony that I was not put aware that some of the comforts that you believe you were going to get are no longer.

If you meet other unhappy passengers I would encourage them and you to put it on the end of cruise survey.  One thing we know is that negative surveys are something that no one at Princess or staff on the ships seems to like....maybe they might start getting the idea that removing the chairs from cabin rooms was an idea that sucks!!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

I am still ticked that when I paid for this balcony that I was not put aware that some of the comforts that you believe you were going to get are no longer.

Exactly this ^^^.
We booked our Crown Princess cruise a year ahead. I was quite upset to have no comfortable place to sit when we went on the February 5th Eastern Caribbean departure. I feel like I was misled, a classic bait and switch. No doubt there is some weasel-ease in the contract to the effect of "things may change with no notice", but it's unethical and sleazy. 
I can't imagine doing a long cruise with no comfortable chair. We cancelled our 2020 cruise in Australia and booked a cruise with HAL instead.
And yes, I did let them know and why.

• Like 3

Just received a brochure from our TA on the new Sky and Enchanted Princess.  Has lovely pictures of all the staterooms.  Balcony stateroom picture has no chair inside and, very cleverly,  a chair on the balcony facing toward the room so that on a quick glance it looks like the chair is in the room.  Right, PCL!  Nice job!   Does this mean they expect us to bring the chair in from the balcony?!

The mini suite shows the sofa.