Just back - A few observations

Clemmnj

Just home from a fabulous 14 nights on the beautiful Eclipse to Antarctica. It was magical. The weather was perfect every day with only a bit of fog by Elephant Island. I have cruised Celebrity exclusively and will cruise her again. Having said that, however, I do want to point out just a few things that I feel have changed in a negative way. We always stay Concierge Class. This is more for cabin location than anything else but it is supposed to have a more upscale vibe that was certainly missing on this cruise. For instance, one of the perks of Concierge Class is a bottle of champagne. In past cruises the champagne was always chilling in an ice bucket with two wine glasses when we first entered the stateroom upon embarkation. In all the excitement of sail away my husband and I never even gave a thought to the fact that it wasn’t there. 4 days into the cruise our stateroom attendant knocked on the door and handed a bottle to my husband. Certainly not the welcoming experience I was used to. Also, a tote bag was also a perk. In the past we received a heavy duty nylon/vinyl tote bag with leather handles that folded into its own pouch when not in use. I have received a variation of that bag each cruise. This time it was one of those cheap thin canvas bags that are given away in most grocery stores or public libraries. Not a big deal really, but certainly indicative of a disappointing downward slide. I think what bothered me the most was on the last day I really felt like I was getting the bums rush.  After a quick breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe my husband and I went back to our cabin to gather our last minute items and wait for our scheduled time to head to our disembarkation area. Our cabin already had the fresh robes hanging on the hooks, along with the brochures etc for the next guests. Our carry off luggage was still in the room so our attendant knew we were still onboard. Also the hallway was lined with the bags into which all the dirty linens would go and the housekeeping staff was all in the hallway just standing there waiting. I know they have a short amount of time to turn everything over but I really felt like I was being rushed off the ship and it saddened me to be made to feel that way. All in all it was a great trip on a beautiful ship. Had I never sailed Celebrity before I probably would not have noticed some of this stuff, but I have sailed Celebrity many many times and the downgrade in service was definitely noticeable. In fact, one of the staff in the photo gallery was so rude to someone trying to purchase her photos that I was astonished. I know the crew has to sometimes deal with difficult people, it’s just that I have never seen the Celebrity crew treat a guest that way. Please don’t shoot the messenger. I am only pointing out my observations. I am a Celebrity loyalist and in all likelihood will sail with them again. It just dissapoints me to see that Celebrity could be slipping into the mediocrity of other mass market cruise ships. I hope they self correct and slip no further. Happy sailing to all. 

I was also disappointed in the canvas bag on our last cruise.  I used it a few days with 2 bottles of water and just a few other things and one of the handles ripped off.  I'm glad I had brought one from home for the rest of our trip. 

And we gave our champagne away, so that didn't bother us.

As for the new robes and such,  I completely understand.   They have a lot of rooms to take care of,  and such a short turn-around time.   The robes were hung in the back of our closet out of the way on the last night,  so it didn't bother us at all.  I feel for the stateroom crew, working 7 days a week from 7am - 9 pm.

Glad you had a wonderful trip otherwise.

It has been widely reported that the welcome bottle of sparkling wine is no longer in your cabin when you board. We usually have new robes hanging in the closet the night before disembarkation. The cabin attendants have very little time to turn over the room, you know you were anxious to board 2 weeks earlier and could not wait to get into your cabin.  I totally understand the bags of dirty linens but appreciate the fact that you can still enter your room after breakfast to pick up your carry-ons.  Celebrity has always requested that you wait in a public area until your number is called to disembark.

Beside the disappointments, I hope you enjoyed this unique itinerary. 

• Like 1

Please understand that I did not post this topic to start debate. I am only expressing my opinion for whatever it may be worth to anyone. The fact that a change has been widely reported does not make it any less disappointing just as the fact that it happened to many or even all doesn’t make it better. And while I stated that I understand the circumstances of a quick turnaround, that actually makes my point. The robes the night before, the dirty laundry bags in the hallway, as well as the attendants standing and waiting is indicative of the mass market mentality of “get them off quickly.” You may not feel as I do and that is fine. My opinion is that Celebrity, which used to be a cut above, is now sliding toward mediocrity. They used to make me feel as if I were a treasured guest and sadly I felt just a little less treasured this time. What used to set Celebrity apart is now, in my opinion, going the way of other mass market lines. There is a big difference between welcoming champagne and a bottle being handed through the door and it is those little incidentals, when combined with other little incidentals, that can change how you feel about a trip or a cruise line in general. In my opinion, Celebrity is still good, just maybe not quite as good as before. 

• Like 1

Sorry, but it has never been a bottle of champagne ,

sparkling wine yes but not champagne, we are sailing in three weeks and havetwo more cruises booked with Celebrity.

We have sailed every year since 2002, sometimes twice, and for the first time we will not be booking another cruise whilst on board next month.

If I wanted to sail on RCCL I would, for me Celebrity has been driven down market by its current top tier management.

There are too many options out there and my feeling is that celebrity does not encourage or want its aging loyal customers.

I will enjoy my cruise as always, we are lucky to be able to do so, but enough is enough.

Here is an example : Upgrade to the premium drink package but in at least 30% of bars premium scotch or cognac is not available. In the past the bar steward would go and get some not now because there is no-one else to serve at the bar now I will get off my soap box 👍🏻😂😱😎🍸

Edited by swigso
  • Like 2

We are usually in a sky suite and have always noticed the new robes (plus a few other items) in our cabin the day before we disembark.  I don't think this is anything new.  The same goes for the housekeeping staff in the hallway that morning.  Maybe you have been lucky on previous cruises but considering how much they have to do in such little time it doesn't bother us at all.   I remember a couple of years ago there was talk of having to be out the cabins at 7:00!  I'm happy to at least have access a little later than that.  

• Like 1

Good observations of a cabin category that has decreased in value over the years.  When Celebrity first started  with concierge level cabins there were flowers in the room (5 bud vases connected together with flowers in each, a rose in the bathroom, thick colored towels and wash clothes, and a bathroom shower rug. There was a variety of fruits, not just three green apples.  We received both the canvas bag and the one that everyone else got. While the afternoon snacks were as bad as they currently are, they were delivered daily.  My recent experience has been all over the place, but the worse was needing to fill out a paper daily if I wanted them, and I had to be in the room for them to be delivered. I now tell the room steward on the first day that I do not want these, so I am unsure of the practice now. Even though the sparkling wine was not the best, it was great to have as we sailed away to toast our starting another adventure. The room service breakfast menu was much more diverse than it currently is.  Just my opinion, but the biggest reason to book concierge now days is the larger room (M class), huge aft balconies (M class), footstools on the balcony and the additional points. 

• Like 1

You are right! I completely forgot abou the flowers! As I stated, room location is why we book concierge class but my examples as well as those provided by others are indicative of how Celebrity is now more mass market and less a cut above. I wish it weren’t so. As the other poster stated there are lots of choices out there. Celebrity isn’t any worse than the others, I just wish it were better, like it used to be. And maybe I was lucky on previous cruises that I didn’t feel as if I were no longer welcome come 8:00 PM on the last night, but the fact that I felt that way this time is telling. The fact that the need to turn the ship over so quickly results in robes being put into cabins and dirty linen bags lining the hallway prior to disembarkation shows how mass market Celebrity has become. I don’t like that I’m made to feel unwelcome and the need for it only emphasizes my point. 

Sailed Celebrity from 1989 to 2016.

Celebrity, in particular, is trading on its past reputation.

Celebrity has been downgraded in many ways. Newbies have no idea.

My cruise in Europe 2013 had fabulous tea sandwiches and sweets in Cafe B upon boarding. Add a glass of wine. Sigh. Gone. That is for our household and our many friends is the telling downgrade. We have moved on from Celebrity, all of us have fired Celebrity.

The cheerleaders may be out in full force, well of course, but many of the long standing clients have either moved on or traded up OR decided that cruising is not worth the cost and are now spending their considerable $ on customize land vacations and/or Porsche's!.Oh my a Porsche in the garage!

Celebrity is the biggest cruise line scam at this point since LLP arrived.

The beauty of marketing is that you always have a new crop of victims to screw.

• Like 1

I have to agree with The OP about some of the little things, along with others about marketing, as Celebrity promises such high quality, but the real deal sure falls way below expectations for some...it is really a new era, one that is leaving many customers looking elsewhere!  It did not have to come to this, but those decisions were made, and the consequences are in full view!

My Edge cruise is at the end of April, and it is what it is or what it will be.  I am lucky that ai booked the first hour, and am in a suite; however, the results of my experience onboard will determine whether I cancel my next Edge cruise or not...always monitor and adjust with my

first world problems!😜

And there will will always be cheerleaders, along with naysayers, and those in the middle...they are all entitled to their opinions, just like politics!  We will never all be alike in our viewpoints...and that IMHO, is a good thing!

Edited by Lastdance

We’ve sailed with Celebrity the past 4 years exclusively and I would agree the service wasn’t  as good this past cruise as others. Nothing that would keep us away and we just booked another for next January. In my opinion, X is still ahead of most lines. But our group noted a few small service items similar to the OP. Again, nothing major but the attention to detail has kinda gone away.  Fewer bartenders, longer waits, a few crew who made it known they hated their jobs, etc. Maybe it was Equinox because our Summit cruises have been great. 

I think more of the cheerleaders have actually come to the conclusion that perhaps some of the negative comments over the past couple of years from previous X loyalists have in fact been validated and justified.

I have never seen so many threads comparing other cruise lines to X on this board from previous loyalists like I have over the last six months (only my observation, yours may differ 😉). 

Most cruise lines are economizing due to increased competition and more cruisers. The price of drink packages are going up, the quality of drinks are going down. The specialty restaurant prices going up, the quality of food in the dining rooms are going down. The quality of entertainment is not as good as before. Casual dress is now acceptable on formal nights. Where did the dessert and chocolate venues go? It’s one extra for this and extra for that. If X is becoming RCCL, is RCCL becoming Carnival? It’s all about that bottom line, no matter which class or cabin you are in. If you really need to go first class, look at Seabourne, Viking or Crystal.

Lewisindie, as I previously stated, it was not my intention to argue, but please don’t insult me by suggesting I need to go first class. I never said that. My point was, and is, that Celebrity used to not cut costs the way they are now. If you disagree that’s fine. My opinion is just that, my opinion. I have been a Celebrity loyalist but I am not so Celebrity obsessed that I can’t see the faults. It used to be better. There used to be a level below Crystal or  Seabourne and above Carnival and Royal Carribean and that was Celebrity. Sadly, Celebrity is sinking toward the bottom and the lines are becoming blurred. In my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We recently tried of the “premium “ lines.  Small ship & excellent service.  Paid more for a veranda than we paid for a CS.  The dining room was noisy & crowded with 15-30 minute waits to be seated.  Sent back 3 out of 8 dinners, 2 served barely lukewarm and one steak was so tough I couldn’t cut it.  

Ship was dead, entertainment was mediocre.   Crew was outstanding and the officers were very visible, but we were bored on sea days and found, outside of the speciality restaurants, the food was not what we would consider premium-not as good as Blu.  

My point being I think all cruise lines are having to make some cuts.  We talked to some on that cruise who were lamenting about the things that weren’t as good as they used to be.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We recently tried of the “premium “ lines.  Small ship & excellent service.  Paid more for a veranda than we paid for a CS.  The dining room was noisy & crowded with 15-30 minute waits to be seated.  Sent back 3 out of 8 dinners, 2 served barely lukewarm and one steak was so tough I couldn’t cut it.  

Ship was dead, entertainment was mediocre.   Crew was outstanding and the officers were very visible, but we were bored on sea days and found, outside of the speciality restaurants, the food was not what we would consider premium-not as good as Blu.  

My point being I think all cruise lines are having to make some cuts.  We talked to some on that cruise who were lamenting about the things that weren’t as good as they used to be.

I agree.  We do not feel the premium lines are worth the extra amounts they charge over what we pay on Celebrity.  However, we have only been in Aqua class for our last seven cruises with Celebrity.  On our last cruise before Aqua, we had the worst experience ever with Celebrity, and did not go back for many years.  On our recent cruises, we have eaten lunch in the MDR several times, and thought the food was pretty good.  

On 2/11/2019 at 1:57 AM, Doubt It said:

Sailed Celebrity from 1989 to 2016.

Celebrity, in particular, is trading on its past reputation.

Celebrity has been downgraded in many ways. Newbies have no idea.

My cruise in Europe 2013 had fabulous tea sandwiches and sweets in Cafe B upon boarding. Add a glass of wine. Sigh. Gone. That is for our household and our many friends is the telling downgrade. We have moved on from Celebrity, all of us have fired Celebrity.

The cheerleaders may be out in full force, well of course, but many of the long standing clients have either moved on or traded up OR decided that cruising is not worth the cost and are now spending their considerable $ on customize land vacations and/or Porsche's!.Oh my a Porsche in the garage!

Celebrity is the biggest cruise line scam at this point since LLP arrived.

The beauty of marketing is that you always have a new crop of victims to screw.

I think most long standing cruisers are aware that standards have dropped on the vast majority of cruise lines, however we still find the value with Celebrity on certain cruises, we pick and chose. We don’t compare cruise to land vacations, different products, we cruise because we love the sea. Personally I have no interest in a status symbol like a Porsche, don’t feel the need to advertise how successful and wonderful I am and I find other values more important. Don’t even own a car, I cycle everywhere and am probably as fit as many 30 years younger so for me it’s a win,win.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, Clemmnj said:

Just home from a fabulous 14 nights on the beautiful Eclipse to Antarctica. It was magical. The weather was perfect every day with only a bit of fog by Elephant Island. I have cruised Celebrity exclusively and will cruise her again. Having said that, however, I do want to point out just a few things that I feel have changed in a negative way. We always stay Concierge Class. This is more for cabin location than anything else but it is supposed to have a more upscale vibe that was certainly missing on this cruise. For instance, one of the perks of Concierge Class is a bottle of champagne. In past cruises the champagne was always chilling in an ice bucket with two wine glasses when we first entered the stateroom upon embarkation. In all the excitement of sail away my husband and I never even gave a thought to the fact that it wasn’t there. 4 days into the cruise our stateroom attendant knocked on the door and handed a bottle to my husband. Certainly not the welcoming experience I was used to. Also, a tote bag was also a perk. In the past we received a heavy duty nylon/vinyl tote bag with leather handles that folded into its own pouch when not in use. I have received a variation of that bag each cruise. This time it was one of those cheap thin canvas bags that are given away in most grocery stores or public libraries. Not a big deal really, but certainly indicative of a disappointing downward slide. I think what bothered me the most was on the last day I really felt like I was getting the bums rush.  After a quick breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe my husband and I went back to our cabin to gather our last minute items and wait for our scheduled time to head to our disembarkation area. Our cabin already had the fresh robes hanging on the hooks, along with the brochures etc for the next guests. Our carry off luggage was still in the room so our attendant knew we were still onboard. Also the hallway was lined with the bags into which all the dirty linens would go and the housekeeping staff was all in the hallway just standing there waiting. I know they have a short amount of time to turn everything over but I really felt like I was being rushed off the ship and it saddened me to be made to feel that way. All in all it was a great trip on a beautiful ship. Had I never sailed Celebrity before I probably would not have noticed some of this stuff, but I have sailed Celebrity many many times and the downgrade in service was definitely noticeable. In fact, one of the staff in the photo gallery was so rude to someone trying to purchase her photos that I was astonished. I know the crew has to sometimes deal with difficult people, it’s just that I have never seen the Celebrity crew treat a guest that way. Please don’t shoot the messenger. I am only pointing out my observations. I am a Celebrity loyalist and in all likelihood will sail with them again. It just dissapoints me to see that Celebrity could be slipping into the mediocrity of other mass market cruise ships. I hope they self correct and slip no further. Happy sailing to all. 

Taking this cruise Jan 2020.  How were the seas?  Rough at times?

On two days we had rough seas. One evening the swells were high enough to be crashing against the dining room windows on deck 4. But nothing truly upsetting or worrisome, just enough to make me glad I wasn’t in one of those smaller ships we had considered to see Antarctica. 

On 2/11/2019 at 10:54 PM, jelayne said:

Now a days, many long time cruisers are 'lamenting' about the Good Old Days, with all the changes taking place in the ever increasing competition and need to make more profit(s)...

Alas, those of us who have either never or rarely sailed the 'premium' lines are quite possibly 'wowed' by the new to us and calculate the 'minuscule' cost difference, but not the total experience difference, which can only be done by an actual sailing.

Each of us have our minimum desires when sailing and cost is only one factor.

bon voyage

• Like 1

I returned from a cruise on Sunday and while this experience didn't "Wow" me the way the first cruise I took on Celebrity did a few years ago, I had a wonderful time. Yes there were some things that were different in comparison to the other cruises, but for the most part it was nice. 

There were a few hiccups that turned into really nice deviations. For example, on the last sea day I waited too long to go to the Oceanview Cafe and when I got did get there, there weren't any plates available at any of the stations. Now my wife was worried because I tend to be one of those people that needs the Snickers bar when they get hungry, but instead we went up to the Porch where I asked if I needed a reservation. I was told yes and so I informed the gentleman that I needed a reservation. When he inquired about the time I would like to attend I stated "Now." He smiled, my wife and I laughed as we were seated. The meal was one of the highlights of our trip.

I learned the last time I sailed Celebrity that most of my pleasure/dis-satisfaction comes from my outlook and how I respond. The previous time I was a little uptight about a medical procedure that I was facing within the next month and it really soured my cruise. Nothing was right, service was poor or at least not the same as it had just a year previously and the food was just OK. Fast forward to last week my outlook was brighter, service still wasn't the same as when I first started sailing Celebrity, but all in all it was fine. Food in the Dining Room was OK, not great like when we first started sailing, but still better than I could do at home. 

Drinks were cold, and I was able to find a couple of bars where I could sit and enjoy myself. All in all, it was a good cruise. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we booked the same itinerary, although a different ship, for 2021. 

On 2/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, jelayne said:

Check out one of my old threads on the food in Oceania and tell me it doesn't blow away Celebrity by a few miles. Remember the specialty restaurants on Oceania are complimentary as well. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1593431-review-of-food-on-riviera-617-lisbon-to-romework-in-progress/

"I think what bothered me the most was on the last day I really felt like I was getting the bums rush.  After a quick breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe my husband and I went back to our cabin to gather our last minute items and wait for our scheduled time to head to our disembarkation area. Our cabin already had the fresh robes hanging on the hooks, along with the brochures etc for the next guests. Our carry off luggage was still in the room so our attendant knew we were still onboard. Also the hallway was lined with the bags into which all the dirty linens would go and the housekeeping staff was all in the hallway just standing there waiting. I know they have a short amount of time to turn everything over but I really felt like I was being rushed off the ship and it saddened me to be made to feel that way."

I've been on 25 or so Celebrity cruises since 2006, and it was always thus.  Sometimes I've seen the new robes placed in the closet the evening before.  Doesn't bother me, I'm basically done using the closet at that point.  As for the bags in the hallway, you'll see those on sheet changing days also.  None of this bothers me.  I'm just happy that I have that wonderful crew there to take care of all that stuff for me.

By the way, nobody can make you feel any way.  You get to choose how to feel.  I choose to be sad that I'm leaving, but happy that I had the opportunity to cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1