Lunch and check-in time

hexdragon

Okay, we are a little confused. We are sailing on Niew Statendam in about two weeks. We just received an email from HA stating that we get to board at 2:30.

Ummm, that's awfully late for lunch, especially that we have early dining.... Is this normal? We are used to being boarded much closer to noon...

In my experience, HAL's recommended boarding times have not been enforced. So we always get to the departure lounge early (10 to 11) and wait a short while. We're usually on board in time to have lunch in the MDR (last couple of time - it's more relaxing than the Lido). Enjoy your cruise! 

For the 2 new ships -- Koningsdam and Nieuw Amsterdam -- HAL has been assigning times so as to spread out the arrival time and not having long lines.  But many people are still doing what they want to do  and what they are used to doing.  Many of us like to get to the ship early -- board as soon as possible -- boarding begins at 11:30.

Dining room opens at Noon and closes by 1:30.

Arriving at 2:30 -- by the time you go through security and check in -- you will probably be on the ship by 3.  Just the Lido and Dive In left for a late lunch.

Cabins are usually ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry ons.

You can.......and then post here that there were not enough porters.....the lines for security were long.....and then you had to wait to get onboard after check-in.   The majority of HAL ships board about 2,000 guests!

Do what makes you happy......it's your vacation.

David

P.S.    Those who arrive after 2 pm are the happiest, as I see week after week.

The most irritating thing here is the fact that the MDR lunch hours remain early and unchanged, yet HAL "requests" passengers to arrive mid-afternoon.

So if I would wish to enjoy that same embarkation lunch as I always have, I am forced to break the rules and be castigated here if I confess to doing so?

Seems rather contradictory.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

The majority of HAL ships board about 2,000 guests!

sorry, but that is incorrect IMO.

To the best of my knowledge, all the Vista class are under that number and of course, the remaining S & R ships & the Prinsendam.  I think they account for more than 1/2 the fleet 😉 

Seems strange that the other ships lets you board (usually) when you choose but the Pinnacle class doesn't.

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The most irritating thing here is the fact that the MDR lunch hours remain early and unchanged, yet HAL "requests" passengers to arrive mid-afternoon.

So if I would wish to enjoy that same embarkation lunch as I always have, I am forced to break the rules and be castigated here if I confess to doing so?

Seems rather contradictory.

I completely agree with you. If they are going to assign boarding times, they should reconsider the hours for lunch in the MDR. But I will confess now that on June 2nd I will be in the MDR eating my lunch regardless of what time my boarding time is supposed to be. 

Nieuw Statendam, Koningsdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam?  Some are 2,500 and the rest above 1,900 and more for holiday sailings.

Only the Zaandam, Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam, and (soon gone) Prinsendam are less.  Even so, due to the longer voyages offered by these 6 ships they are more likely to have President's Club, 4 and 5 star mariners, and Pinnacle Suites boarding.  

If lunch in the MDR is that important to you on embarkation, then give it your best shot.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

When we board in Ft. Lauderdale we head first for our favorite Greek restaurant about 10 miles north of the port and have a very nice,, leisurely lunch and then head over to the port about 1:30 - 2.  We are usually on board in 10 to 15 minutes.   We love driving along the ocean and watching the ships and people at the beach.  Great way to start our vacation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us not driving to the port going out of the area for lunch isn't as practical.  We are on NS leaving on March 3, 2019.  Our boarding passes say board at 1:00 PM.  Checkout at our hotel is 11:00 AM.  Since hotel is near port, it's not going to be a 2 hour trip so we end up waiting somewhere.  Seems the easiest thing to do is leave hotel around 11 and get to the port when we get there, which will be early, and hope for the best

Since the OP is on the Nieuw Statendam, the NY Pizza & Deli, located above the indoor pool is a great option for lunch.  The custom pizzas are quite good as are the sandwiches.  As it will be the first cruise for many on the Nieuw Statendam, it will not yet be discovered and not be crowded.

image.png.c17d8b70845e80a92aa7052a6a8e2ac0.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

Since hotel is near port, it's not going to be a 2 hour trip so we end up waiting somewhere.  Seems the easiest thing to do is leave hotel around 11 and get to the port when we get there, which will be early, and hope for the best

We are also boarding March 3rd and will be doing the exact same thing.

9 hours ago, Paulinda said:

We have a 1PM check in time but will be there around 11 AM.  Always have in the past and never had a problem.  Perhaps the notification is simply a recommendation?

HAL has used 1:00 PM as embarkation time for many years and perhaps new cruisers will obey. 

• Like 1

I received the "suggested" arrival times email today but I have a guaranteed outside cabin so I don't know what deck I belong.  When are cabin assignments handed out?  Regardless, I will not be arriving at 3pm since the hotel kicks us out at 11am  (like many others flying in the day before).  Coming from a Canadian winter (it has been snowing since NOVEMBER!!) for my once a year cruise, I really want to get on board as soon as I can. 

Waiting in line is just part of the anticipation. BUT, I do remember once having to wait outside the terminal in a long line in the hot sun with no shade. That was unpleasant.  Those who would find that unmanageable should perhaps adhere to the suggesting arrival times.  I saw many unhappy, uncomfortable people in the hot Florida sun that day.

I'm sailing on the NS.  Can anyone confirm what dining venues are open late on embarkation day besides the Lido.

Thanks

It's important to check emails on embarkation day.  We've arrived at port at the usual time before, and had a long wait to board due to weird stuff:  customs for debarkation of previous cruise, bad weather, norovirus, and drugs found in luggage.

We once arrived in Galveston w/ a fog alert, and we didn't actually board till around 5 PM.   These are usually the exception though.