One Main Course

djhsolara

8 minutes ago, Tenderpaw said:

The purpose is 2 fold:  decrease costs and increase revenue.  The food and beverage manager in Seattle was told to cut his costs by X %, and this is one way to get there.  This is just like every other cut/surcharge that we have seen crop up in the past 10 years. 

I take a cruise for all 3 reasons above.  I enjoy eating and trying new things and frequently order 2 main menu entre's.  Never more.  I have seen people order more than 2 though.  I am not over weight and don't eat like that at home.  I'm on vacation and this is something I've enjoyed doing on cruises for the past 30 years. 

For all of you who smugly say "no impact for me", great for you.  Eating multiple portions in the MDR at no cost has always been a cruise thing.  They budget for it and covering the cost has been included already in the prices we are being currently charged.  People doing isn't a new thing and isn't a surprise to the cruise line.  It is a vacation perk that many folks enjoy.  It isn't gluttony.

Your double portion will no doubt be considered a second entre, as well as it should.  How is it different than someone else ordering 2 different entres.

I hope they get bad survey's/feedback from this.  It's tacky, cheap, and just another cut.  

Amazing to me, that when people complain onboard, and I ask if they are going to put that in their survey.. they say .."oh we don't bother filling that out"... If HAl or any place does not know or are not aware of a problem.. how are they suppose to fix it.. Please all fill out the end of cruise survey.. or questionaire.. whatever you want to call it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hflors said:

I think the whole idea of charging people an additional $10.00 for an extra entrée is just down right tacky!   

Agreed. If this is a permanent change I will never sail HAL again.

• Like 2

Just now, Shmoo here said:

Maybe a charge for specific entrees would be a compromise.  I know Princess does that on some menus.

So does Carnival.

• Like 1

My spouse once inadvertently ordered "sweetbreads" not knowing what they were. Under the new Savor the Nickle & Dime™️ program, would he be charged $10 if he sent the sweetbreads back in exchange for something edible?

I suspect this would not be the targeted audience. Mistakes or inferior preparation are not cause for passenger punishments.  Food waste prevention is perfectly reasonable justification.

And whoever wrote about the alleged new trend "vlogging"  intentionally ordered extra food is probably on to something. 

21 minutes ago, JoAnnaBullhead said:

Cruising-along... I agree with you. When we cruised last summer and saw the menu, I called  room service. They told me exactly what you said.. fill in what you want. I did, and they were kind enough to accomodate our wishes. Funny..  I ordered 2 hard boiled eggs. I got 4.. I think they thought it was an order for 2 people. The next day, I wrote 2 hard boiled eggs ONLY! I got 4 !! Day 3, I ordered 1 hard boiled egg. I got 2! LOl.. Gotta love the language barrier! That being said, Their English is way better than my Filipino!!

Lol!  I  know what the problem was....when you order eggs it's always 2 eggs.  So when you put in the number you want, it's the number of orders you want, not the number of eggs.  Like if my DH and I both want an order of hard boiled eggs,  I would write (2).  If only I wanted an order, I would write (1).  (live and learn, I did the same thing once and got a mountain of toast!)

I am following this and the other thread about the "test" very closely. We usually cruise Celebrity but have cruised HAL before (2 star mariners), but not for a few years. Over the years Celebrity has cut down on potion size and I am pleased with that as I felt I could never eat all on my plate, now most days I can and still have dessert. I have never ORDERED a second entree but when asked how it was there were times I didn't like it and said so and they OFFERED to bring me another. I have seen others order mutiple entrees to "try" and my take is that it is none of my business.

We have a 14 day cruise booked for Aug 19 and no matter how the "test" turns out plan to go, but I would like to know BEFORE we get there if this is the current policy. If for some reason I am still hungry after dinner I will go to Lido, never have yet but always a first time. I just want to know the plan BEFORE we book or go, then it is my choice to book in the future or not.

Many people are very passionate about this, me I just like to cruise.

Edited by lb0103
left a word out
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lb0103 said:

I am following this and the other thread about the "test" very closely. We usually cruise Celebrity but have cruised HAL before (2 star mariners), but not for a few years. Over the years Celebrity has cut down on potion size and I am pleased with that as I felt I could never eat all on my plate, now most days I can and still have dessert. I have never ORDERED a second entree but when asked how it was there were times I didn't like it and said so and they OFFERED to bring me another. I have seen others order mutiple entrees to "try" and my take is that it is none of my business.

We have a 14 day cruise booked for Aug 19 and no matter how the "test" turns out plan to go, but I would like to know BEFORE we get there if this is the current policy. If for some reason I am still hungry after dinner I will go to Lido, never have yet but always a first time. I just want to know the plan BEFORE we book or go, then it is my choice to book in the future or not.

Many people are very passionate about this, me I just like to cruise.

I hope you have a very enjoyable cruise. We like HAL ships a lot. 

43 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Haven't you ever noticed that they ask your cabin number at the door? I think they'd "suggest" that you go to the Lido if you need more food.

We've never sailed HAL. I just stumbled across this thread by chance.

Just the whole idea of charging extra doesn't sit well with me even though I haven't ordered an additional meal in many years other than lobster tail on Princess.  

It should prove interesting to see how it pans out with their loyal customers.

Or.....  make all  meals  ala carte ....as they do for some  meals....You get say $50 per  day food credit.    You can buy extra $ l meal package ..sort of like the liquor package that would let you order up to  $ 100 pd in food per day 

You order off the menus,  waiter takes your card  just like ordering a drink .       

The buffet,  you pick out what you want ...just like at home and  hand your card to the cashier at the end when you exit.    Each time you pass  you  can take as much as you want... but  pay with the card each time.

In the Main Dining, make it a fixed menu 4 courses Desert extra. for one price    2 choices of each item.

It works in restaurants just fine

I hope HAL gets a lot better about accurately describing what you're getting as your entree, if they are going to charge $10 for a second one or possibly a replacement. 

All too often on cruise lines, including HAL, the dish I'm presented with does not match the menu description in various particulars, from ingredients to cut of meat used.

If HAL is really interested in decreasing the amount of food waste I think perhaps a better approach would be to make a slight change to the policy. Rather than: "Passengers sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam will notice the option to order a second entree for $10." the new policy should say " Passengers sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam will be charged  $10 if they order a second entree and do not finish every single bite of food on it. The Maitre D' will carefully scrutinize the second entree plate to determine whether $10 will be charged". 

This change should make everyone happy - right? HAL - because that passenger is not wasting food - and the passenger who wants a second entree for whatever reason. 

Edited by Windsailer
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tenderpaw said:

Your double portion will no doubt be considered a second entre, as well as it should.  How is it different than someone else ordering 2 different entres.

"No doubt" both of the threads on this topic are full of guesses,

But,  I guess one main plate instead of two for a start. One slice of meat or chicken or fish instead of a full plate of everything. Usually a gesture of "nice guy" by a waiter looking forward to the generous tip at the end. And last of all it is eaten. As a lifetime member of the "clean plate club" and not pushed aside and left behind.

Might be easier to order a chicken burger at the Dive In around 3pm. Justifies a beer.

6 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Is Holland America the first cruise line to implement this?

(I understand this is just a "test.")

I have not heard of this on any other cruise line, except for extra charge venues.  NCL is one that comes to mind.  You've really got to go the extra mile to out nickle & dime NCL but HAL has done it.

Here's a thought for you, HAL. If you want to reduce waste how about cutting down on all those paper advertisements that get delivered to my cabin? Or cut down on all the stuff you send in the mail. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hope HAL gets a lot better about accurately describing what you're getting as your entree, if they are going to charge $10 for a second one or possibly a replacement. 

All too often on cruise lines, including HAL, the dish I'm presented with does not match the menu description in various particulars, from ingredients to cut of meat used.

I agree with your opinion about menu description.  Sometimes, what sounds promising surely isn't!  (On Royal Princess,  their celebrity chef's entree of Roasted Pork Belly was on the menu that sounded good and I have never tried Pork Belly; I ordered it.  When my Steward served it, the entree didn't look appetizing.  After 3 bites, I knew if I attempted to eat, my digestive system would revolt because of the grease.)

• Haha 1

I've followed this topic for several days now and I still can't understand how there are some people [albeit very few] who honestly see no problem with this; It's actually to the point that they food-shame other CC members and vehemently defend HAL's "trial" as something positive.  "Green cred" has been used as a term [among other defenses] to defend this obvious money-grab.  Are these defenders just large shareholders of Carnival Corp stock who predict increased dividends?  I can't fathom how anyone can see this as anything other than what it is: a way to make more money off of passengers. There are countless ways for HAL to reduce their environmental footprint if they HONESTLY care to do so; less paper adverts in the mail is a great place to start [seriously I get at least 2 per month and I'm only a 2-star mariner....I can't imagine what more frequent cruisers must get!] as someone else mentioned.  Food waste concerns?  IMO that's a joke and borderline insulting to passengers considering it is only one menu line of one meal that is incurring an extra charge.  Still, all the desserts and apps one desires can be had for free so people can easily load up and waste just as much food.  I would even argue that waste may get worse if this policy becomes permanent; people may well just order even more apps/desserts then before since they know they can't get an extra main without paying.

• Like 13

I would love to try sweetbreads.  If I did not like it, I ordered it, I would just move on to the next course. You don't know if you don't try it.  If you order it by mistake,  that is different.  Explain to the waiter and request something else.

I had a similar issue on a recent Celebrity Cruise.  I ordered a lamb dish that was wrapped in phylo dough and baked - I assumed it was going to be a tenderloin (like beef wellington) - what I got was shredded stewed lamb (more like mutton) that was incredibly gamy and smelled like baked dog food.  I simply could not eat it so sent it back and got the always available steak instead.

I would think that the staff will have certain latitude in this type of situation to not charge for a REPLACEMENT entree.

That said I am 100% against this charge.  If management wants to cut back on food waste they need look no further than the Lido and develop ways to save there, not by charging for an extra entree in the MDR.  This is a money grab pure and simple! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We'll order an entrée for the table about once every 5 days. (It's pretty well documented in the live threads.) It's almost always a vegetarian option - or as I like to call it - a big share plate of side dish. I have no problem with the up charge. 

If we're going a la carte on the main courses, then we aren't going to wast money on "mushroom & truffle risotto," or "pumpkin & brown butter squash gnocchi," we're going for expensive proteins. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

My guess is that this policy will not continue past the trial. I don’t think they will see a significant reduction in food costs, but they will get an increase in bad surveys since even people who never order two entrees will be put off by the concept and complain about it even though they never pay the charge.

I see this as a cost reduction initiative vice revenue generating. They would be happy to see food costs go down and not collect a nickel in $10 charges.

Time will tell.

• Like 1