One Main Course

djhsolara

3 hours ago, richstowe said:

Maybe the $10 fee in the MDR is just the first step . Or they will just eliminate expensive items from the buffet . That's what Norwegian does . No lox , no shrimp (except in other dishes) , no sushi in the buffet . Of course very little of these things in the MDR's either . A race to the bottom . 

If you do not eat in the NCL specialty restaurants every night you are stuck eating in the MDR with some of the worse food of any cruise line. I can see in the not to distant future the possibility of making MDR's on CCL owned cruise ships into a hybrid specialty restaurant with a $10 cover charge.

7 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I think if the food in the MDR was better/larger (emphasizing better) then the $10 fee wouldn't bother me as much.   I just don't think the food quality warrants an extra fee.    I have yet to have a meal that is spectacular, it's just not that good.

As far as over indulgence goes......Many people over indulge on a cruise, whether it be by food, alcohol, sun or whatever, it's part of what makes cruising fun for some people.   Especially those that are on a 7 day vacation.   

I've said this before, but it was unfair to those passengers that decided to take a cruise and were not told until they boarded that there was a "trial" going on.   Even worse, it was only done on a select few ships.....make it fleet wide and don't make guinea pigs out of some cruisers.....it was a bait and switch tactic in my book.

I agree with your sentiment, not a nice feeling to pay a lot of money for a vacation and be treated that way. 

We have long vacillated on whether or not to take a HAL cruise.  We are far younger than the average guest.  We do not care for late night partying or party atmosphere by the pool all day.  HAL pricing is at a slight premium to "the big 3" and MSC.  I was willing to pay a bit more than those lines, and trade off my perks, for a more refined experience, a step above those lines.  Where the small touches and service (guest to service staff ratio) make a difference in the overall experience.

My wife and I both decided this feels exactly like the same nickel and dime garbage as NCL and not worth paying a premium for.  We were set to book a holiday trip on the Nieuw Amsterdam, with children.  We have decided to hold off for now.  We actually haven't booked with anyone and decided we will wait closer in and see what each line offers and/or changes by that point. 

We simply do not feel comfortable purchasing one experience and receiving something different.  For years we've heard how much better HAL is.  They almost had us convinced.  At least for now, and from our wallets, their obvious profiteering trial has stopped us from committing thousands of dollars to the company. 

We will wait and watch.  I hope the loyalist defenders outlive me to support their favored line, but I was born Reagan was already in office, so do the math...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kazu said:

PG = Pinnacle Grill (specialty dining).

Thanks, I should have known that. The Pinnacle was the first specialty we were ever in. On the Prinsendam during a circumnavigation of Africa and a TA. Loved it. 

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

Resort fees are a disgrace to be honest. Either put your rates up or give a la carte pricing, and having to pay for internet in land-based hotels is just an insult to the customer. You can as well start charging for using the toilet.

Almost Only in the USA do you find this resort fee scam by the way, and then mostly in already vastly overpriced hotels.

ps. I spend 250 days a year in 4 and 5 star hotels and audit them for the Airline I work for...

Any hotels charging guests for internet or having extra compulsory fees on top of the published or negotiated rates are per definition disregarded.

Rant over.

I find that Americans are more cost-conscious on rates.  We can charge $500/night with the $25 resort fee.  But, if we raise to $525 and no resort fee, they would book at the resort down the hill that charges $500 and has a resort fee.  They only look at that base rate, forgetting the rest.   Yes, it's a scam and I don't like it.  I probably remove more resort fees than anyone at the hotel.  It's not just resorts anymore - some big city luxury hotels are now charging an extra fee.

Like on the ship - those cabanas look nice, but if you want to use, you have to pay.   Eat more of the "free" items and savor your one entree.  I know I could easily make an entire meal out of just appetizers, soup and salad and I'd stuff myself if I took an entree.  And, I'd be getting plenty of calories.

Things change; accept or move on.   Like the people who now say they won't go to Europe when the new visa fee goes into effect - they never had to pay it before so they'll not go with the fee...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

We will wait and watch.  I hope the loyalist defenders outlive me to support their favored line, but I was born Reagan was already in office, so do the math...

Wow, you are a kid aren't you. Many prime cruising days ahead for you. Me, I was born a FDR even before they hit Pearl. My first cruises were on Alaska Steamship Company, if you can call it that, as the only way to get to Seattle and visit next of kin was on them. Mom used to take my brother and I south quite often, but I only recall the later trips, they went out of the PAX business in 1954. Airplanes took over the common carriage transport business. But everytime I board a cruise liner even today, the unique smells, etc. remind me of Alaska Steam. 

We didn't first cruise until 1990, but have seen a lot of changes since that time.  We have about 200 days sailing on HAL, over 300 on Princess and just shy of 150 on Regent. Quit HAL about five years ago and Regent is $$$$ and climbing. We have a lot of cruise friends that prefer the large over small ships, I appreciate the wisdom and logic they employ in their rationale, however, we enjoy much smaller vessels and the older we get the more we like them, as well as sea days. 

Richstowe just posted this "Maybe the $10 fee in the MDR is just the first step . Or they will just eliminate expensive items from the buffet . That's what Norwegian does . No lox , no shrimp (except in other dishes) , no sushi in the buffet . Of course very little of these things in the MDR's either . A race to the bottom."

I think he is onto something, I developed a similar theory some time back but it hasn't materialized yet. And that is the nine "majors" (mass market lines with 10 or more vessels) well gradually eliminate the MDRs completely in favor of more extra charge and exquisite specialties and a much larger and extensive, included in the base price, buffet, sort of like a gigantic Golden Coral on the sea.     

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I find that Americans are more cost-conscious on rates.  We can charge $500/night with the $25 resort fee.  But, if we raise to $525 and no resort fee, they would book at the resort down the hill that charges $500 and has a resort fee.  They only look at that base rate, forgetting the rest.   Yes, it's a scam and I don't like it.  I probably remove more resort fees than anyone at the hotel.  It's not just resorts anymore - some big city luxury hotels are now charging an extra fee.

Like on the ship - those cabanas look nice, but if you want to use, you have to pay.   Eat more of the "free" items and savor your one entree.  I know I could easily make an entire meal out of just appetizers, soup and salad and I'd stuff myself if I took an entree.  And, I'd be getting plenty of calories.

Things change; accept or move on.   Like the people who now say they won't go to Europe when the new visa fee goes into effect - they never had to pay it before so they'll not go with the fee...  

I don't like the resort fees, either. I definitely look at the final cost when I'm booking a hotel. When I was pricing hotels in Seattle recently, most of the ones I looked at were the same price. One rather new hotel was $50 per night cheaper. But when I checked it out, they had a $50 per night "hospitality fee." So it was the same price as the others. Wouldn't stay there, I hate that scam. 

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't like the resort fees, either. I definitely look at the final cost when I'm booking a hotel. When I was pricing hotels in Seattle recently, most of the ones I looked at were the same price. One rather new hotel was $50 per night cheaper. But when I checked it out, they had a $50 per night "hospitality fee." So it was the same price as the others. Wouldn't stay there, I hate that scam. 

Don't forget the parking fees most inner city big hotels also charge if you drive. Those fees can be up to $100 per night. 

• Like 1

One of my parent's and children's favorite things to do on a cruise is the opportunity to try new dishes.   Since they don't overindulge in the other perks of the cruises, we are very disappointed that this will be restricted by addition fees. Since we are paying  over 6K for six people, not including excursions and extra's, its not about the money.  It's just the point of being nickle and dime'd to death....

On 4/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, cruzin4us said:

Has anyone experienced "not" being charged after March 31st since the trial was supposed to end on that day?   I'm curious if this is the case or if the trial is still continuing.

I am on the Nieuw Amsterdam now - left San Diego 7 April.  The $10 trial charge for extra entrees is over.   

I spoke with some one in the know and was told it made a huge difference in people not ordering 2 entrees.  Not that much extra revenue, but way less waste.   I was surprised to hear that so many people ordered multiple entrees.   Was told that on short cruises - 7 days or less, many new cruisers want to try everything and will fill their tables with everything on the menu (esp on gala night).   Longer cruises with more repeat customers - not so much waste.     My source had no idea if it would continue - time will tell.   They got only a handful of complaints in person - much more on the surveys.   Seattle will be weighing the pros and cons - more to come I am sure.  

• Like 2

Wow.  Who knew there were so many people ordering multiple entrees?  I would prefer not to subsidize someone else’s extra meals so I hope they find a way for those people to receive the charges and not me.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Was told that on short cruises - 7 days or less, many new cruisers want to try everything and will fill their tables with everything on the menu (esp on gala night). 

I suspected that might be the problem.  Maybe HAL could offer "sampler platters" with a small portion of each choice as a single entree much like a lot of seafood chain restaurants. Or a "combination" dish where one could choose three items.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow.  Who knew there were so many people ordering multiple entrees?  I would prefer not to subsidize someone else’s extra meals so I hope they find a way for those people to receive the charges and not me.

👍👍👍  Spot on, Miss G!!!  Great insights about subsidizing other people's extra entrees.  IMO if some one wants (or "needs") an extra entree or more, he/she should pay something extra for it.

28 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I suspected that might be the problem.  Maybe HAL could offer "sampler platters" with a small portion of each choice as a single entree much like a lot of seafood chain restaurants. Or a "combination" dish where one could choose three items.

👍👐👌  Great idea, catl331 - thanks for suggesting it.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, VennDiagram said:

I don't think it's the $10 that people are objecting to, it seems (to me) to be more about the whole attempt of changing the "feeling" of the MDR.   This is one more change that diminishes any sense of luxury, real or imagined, that is left onboard.

For us, it is definitely not the $10, and disliking this idea isn't sweating the small stuff.  IMHO I would much prefer that they add an  upcharge starter/appetizer/main/dessert every night and lose the idea of charging for that extra pork chop or shrimp. 

well said!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, catl331 said:

Maybe HAL could offer "sampler platters" with a small portion of each choice as a single entree much like a lot of seafood chain restaurants. Or a "combination" dish where one could choose three items.

Brilliant idea!

I have been on 30 plus cruises and I can count on one hand how many times people
At out table ordered extra food. Second they talk about lots of waste there is no way to keep track of waste the only thing they can monitor is how many orders are placed. The bottom line is all they want to do is cut to save more $$$ they already have record profits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I have been on 30 plus cruises and I can count on one hand how many times people
At out table ordered extra food. Second they talk about lots of waste there is no way to keep track of waste the only thing they can monitor is how many orders are placed. The bottom line is all they want to do is cut to save more $$$ they already have record profits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you are correct in your assessment of HAL's motivation for charging for extra MDR entrees, I can only add, Thank you, HAL, and keep up the good work.  We CCL shareholders appreciate your efforts to protect and enhance our investment in CCL!

15 minutes ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

At out table ordered extra food.  ... The bottom line is all they want to do is cut to save more $$$ they already have record profits.

If it's always as rare as it has been in your experience they wouldn't save much money would they? Not enough worth bothering about, probably. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

Second they talk about lots of waste there is no way to keep track of waste the only thing they can monitor is how many orders are placed.

Ships keep track of waste. They will definitely know how much is hauled away in port and should, and are probably required to, keep track of how much they process for disposal at sea. Garbage is expensive.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

7 hours ago, avian777 said:

👍👍👍  Spot on, Miss G!!!  Great insights about subsidizing other people's extra entrees.  IMO if some one wants (or "needs") an extra entree or more, he/she should pay something extra for it.

Oh Brilliant . While we're at it I'm sick of subsidizing other people's sickness . I've never had any medical issues so let's get rid of the medical staff or make people pay though the nose . Also I've never had any security issues so let's can them . Plus why not charge those who have special dietary requirements , special need or children's programs as I don't use these . Why I bet there are tons of other staff whose services that I don't use so lets cut them out or charge people directly . Why I don't use the shampoo or hair caps either come to think of it .

Excellent ideas . We should all be furious about subsidizing other people's demands if we don't use those services . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I can count on one hand how many times people
At out table ordered extra food.

That has also been our experience over 20ish cruises. 

14 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Was told that on short cruises - 7 days or less, many new cruisers want to try everything and will fill their tables with everything on the menu (esp on gala night).

Our recent experiences indicated that most of the "newbies" we met don't even go to the MDR, preferring the Lido for the more casual atmosphere.

3 hours ago, avian777 said:

We CCL shareholders appreciate your efforts to protect and enhance our investment in CCL!

I am also a shareholder, and not ALL shareholders appreciate this move.

• Like 2