Travel to Europe won’t be so easy come 2021 - EUROPE VISA

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Some people over on the HAL board are cancelling or not sailing anymore on HAL because of a $10 "extra main course" charge.  Some Americans feel like they are superior and rule the world and don't need to get "permission" to travel to another country.   Those who won't pay a fee (like the USA forces foreign tourists to pay) to travel outside of the US are free to stay and visit domestic locations or cruise on those closed-loop trips where they don't need a visa.   

Not sure where that highly judgmental opinion comes from...but it typically has nothing to do with what you stated.

It comes down to personal choices, including how to spend one's money.  Fees, especially new ones, are never well received. The world is already heavily taxed on numerous fronts...and so people have every right on how to spend their hard-earned money.

One example that turns people away - every cruise through the Panama Canal includes a large fee passed on to cruse passengers in their fare, which is collected by the cruise lines.

Depending on size and weight of each vessel,  A private yacht may pay $2000 or less and a large commercial ship up to $150,000 just to pass through the Canal. Add on ship taxes and fees, and you'll see a very pricey cruise.

Granted that is much more than this new fee, but stacking fees on top of one another eventually gets to the point where some folks have had enough and simple bail out on choosing paying them.

This new Visa fee itself is not prohibitive, but it needs to be observed in the context of all the overall costs to sail from Europe ports.  We sailed out of Barcelona in 2015, and found that cruise amazing and wonderful. We also found it very expensive, but managed to save a good amount through advanced research and planning, as well as reduced costs to advance payment of some excursions and other travel elements.

Put simply...at some point...the sum of all costs for a cruise trip might reach a "too much to go" point for some people. Those are personal decisions, with no right or wrong on their decisions.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Not sure where that highly judgmental opinion comes from...but it typically has nothing to do with what you stated.

It comes down to personal choices, including how to spend one's money.  Fees, especially new ones, are never well received. The world is already heavily taxed on numerous fronts...and so people have every right on how to spend their hard-earned money.

One example that turns people away - every cruise through the Panama Canal includes a large fee passed on to cruse passengers in their fare, which is collected by the cruise lines.

Depending on size and weight of each vessel,  A private yacht may pay $2000 or less and a large commercial ship up to $150,000 just to pass through the Canal. Add on ship taxes and fees, and you'll see a very pricey cruise.

Granted that is much more than this new fee, but stacking fees on top of one another eventually gets to the point where some folks have had enough and simple bail out on choosing paying them.

This new Visa fee itself is not prohibitive, but it needs to be observed in the context of all the overall costs to sail from Europe ports.  We sailed out of Barcelona in 2015, and found that cruise amazing and wonderful. We also found it very expensive, but managed to save a good amount through advanced research and planning, as well as reduced costs to advance payment of some excursions and other travel elements.

Put simply...at some point...the sum of all costs for a cruise trip might reach a "too much to go" point for some people. Those are personal decisions, with no right or wrong on their decisions.

I've had plenty observations in Europe with the "superior" Americans to validate my opinion: whining when they can't understand why someone doesn't speak English, whining when they can't use $US to buy a Chinese-made trinket from a street vendor in Vernazza, whining that the pizza they get isn't the same they get in New York/New Jersey/California...  

Taxes/visas are all an accepted part of world travel for most of the world.  If someone has a a $10 fee push them over the edge, I fear they have budgeted far too close - what would happen for an emergency?  

If the rest of the world need to pay for visas, why not Americans?  We are not special.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I've had plenty observations in Europe with the "superior" Americans to validate my opinion: whining when they can't understand why someone doesn't speak English, whining when they can't use $US to buy a Chinese-made trinket from a street vendor in Vernazza, whining that the pizza they get isn't the same they get in New York/New Jersey/California...  

Taxes/visas are all an accepted part of world travel for most of the world.  If someone has a a $10 fee push them over the edge, I fear they have budgeted far too close - what would happen for an emergency?  

If the rest of the world need to pay for visas, why not Americans?  We are not special.

OK - you clearly are voicing an anti-American Agenda.

You also don't seem to want to accept the reality as to how ANY PERSON from ANYWHERE might choose to make decisions on how to spend their money. The attitude within your response also demonstrates some of the Euro-arrogance we witnessed firsthand on our cruise trip. In our case, we simply realized everyone in the world is not perfect, and there will be some "bad eggs" in any basket. 

I could raise the point about how many people from other countries choose not to tip service workers, especially when visiting the U.S....but that seems like a fact which will simply be poo-pooed by certain posters. Seeing the anti-American attitudes in Paris first-hand also showed "issues" about considering a visit to France.

Seeing first-hand how Europeans smile when taking American's money while making nasty faces behind their back as they leave also shows underlying issues with some people in those countries.

NONE OF THAT prohibited our 4 trips to Europe - rest assured, they were more than happy to take our American cash off our hands.

Your post comments are just the attitudes that turn off ANY PEOPLE from ANY COUNTRY about considering visiting a number of great/wonderful places that unfortunately includes some not-so-great people.

So back on topic - as has been stated multiple times but apparently not comprehended by a few...the fee itself is not exorbitant, rather, it simple introduces an added process to cruise travel to Europe.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

5 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

The only part that irritates me about this is that Americans don't have the option to apply for a standard 10 year travel visa, like Europeans who don't want to mess around with ESTA do. As someone who travels a lot, and takes advantage of last-minute airfare sales, etc. I would DEFINITELY pay $160 (or whatever the fee is for the Schengen version of a US B1/B2 visa) to not have to worry about this for ten years... because I know myself, and I know I'd be that person who is half-way to Germany and realizes their travel authorization ran out 3 months ago and then gets stuck crying in the airport. 

Even 4 ETIAS applications is cheaper at $32 vs $160.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Even 4 ETIAS applications is cheaper at $32 vs $160.

Yep. But is it cheaper than getting turned back at the airport after I (inevitably) forget to renew the stupid thing on time?

I know any number of Europeans who are from countries who qualify for visa waiver -- ie. they can use ESTA -- and still chose to pay extra for the full 10 year visa and come in and do a full interview for it, because then they're set and don't have to worry about short-fuse business trips or sick relatives or whatever. I would definitely pay for something similar if it was offered (but get that I'm probably in the minority there... :) )

As someone who was double checking all Visa documents and the like before flying to Singapore for an Aussie bound cruise I find it baffling people wouldn't check/get an Aussie Visa....is it free to US folk like it is for us Brits? Ours was approved within 2 hours.

In fact, I had random Visa nerves when we checked in in Singapore and sure enough the lady had to get a special port agent to check our Aussie Visa documents as we were among the very few none Aussies boarding. Oddly the customs checks in Brisbane were very quick and painless.

Let's hope the people who refuse to pay a measly Visa $10 fee never decide to head to China. I am desperate to go sometime soon but the £200 Visa fee is making me wonder about somewhere else. Knowing me I will probably pay because I want to go so badly. 

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

As someone who was double checking all Visa documents and the like before flying to Singapore for an Aussie bound cruise I find it baffling people wouldn't check/get an Aussie Visa....is it free to US folk like it is for us Brits? Ours was approved within 2 hours.

In fact, I had random Visa nerves when we checked in in Singapore and sure enough the lady had to get a special port agent to check our Aussie Visa documents as we were among the very few none Aussies boarding. Oddly the customs checks in Brisbane were very quick and painless.

Let's hope the people who refuse to pay a measly Visa $10 fee never decide to head to China. I am desperate to go sometime soon but the £200 Visa fee is making me wonder about somewhere else. Knowing me I will probably pay because I want to go so badly. 

It is not free for a US citizen to come to Australia but it is only around $20 with a quick online application usually granted within 5 minutes.

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is not free for a US citizen to come to Australia but it is only around $20 with a quick online application usually granted within 5 minutes.

Ah that is not too bad at all....its also much easier for many  West Coasters to get to you guys compared to us up here on this soggy Isle. 

In all fairness though the long flight was completely worth it...then getting off in Cairns (First Oz stop) was spectacular...the first thing we did when we got to Kuranda was try Aussie meat pies. They passed the Brit pie test with flying colours. 😄 

9 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

OK - you clearly are voicing an anti-American Agenda.

You also don't seem to want to accept the reality as to how ANY PERSON from ANYWHERE might choose to make decisions on how to spend their money. The attitude within your response also demonstrates some of the Euro-arrogance we witnessed firsthand on our cruise trip. In our case, we simply realized everyone in the world is not perfect, and there will be some "bad eggs" in any basket. 

I could raise the point about how many people from other countries choose not to tip service workers, especially when visiting the U.S....but that seems like a fact which will simply be poo-pooed by certain posters. Seeing the anti-American attitudes in Paris first-hand also showed "issues" about considering a visit to France.

Seeing first-hand how Europeans smile when taking American's money while making nasty faces behind their back as they leave also shows underlying issues with some people in those countries.

NONE OF THAT prohibited our 4 trips to Europe - rest assured, they were more than happy to take our American cash off our hands.

Your post comments are just the attitudes that turn off ANY PEOPLE from ANY COUNTRY about considering visiting a number of great/wonderful places that unfortunately includes some not-so-great people.

So back on topic - as has been stated multiple times but apparently not comprehended by a few...the fee itself is not exorbitant, rather, it simple introduces an added process to cruise travel to Europe.

Bzzzz.  sorry.  I am a proud holder of a passport from the United States of America.  I am not a Euro... 

I'm saying if you travel to another country, be prepared to pay for the visa, be prepared to pay in the country's currency, and try to learn a few phrases in the language of the country.  Even "please" "do you speak English", "thank you", "excuse me" goes a long way to not being treated like a stereotypical American. I can say I have never felt disrespected or treated poorly because I am an American, even in Paris.  

Many of us who travel outside the US have had to get visas for various countries.  Some as easy as the Euro visa sounds like it will be (electronic), some where the ship will acquire it for you, some as hard has sending your passport to an embassy for the stamp, taking weeks.  It's all part of being an international traveler.   If this additional process is too hard to handle, some may indeed consider doing Caribbean/US/Alaska trips in the future.  Which is their perogative.  

Edited by slidergirl

the horse is out of the barn, with all the migrants in Europe, European countries are not what they use to be... been traveling there for 30 years, just came last October... may be our last trip.   Wonder how this will work if we are traveling through Paris to Telviv with a one night each direction???  Will have to check into it.  

4 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Ah that is not too bad at all....its also much easier for many  West Coasters to get to you guys compared to us up here on this soggy Isle. 

In all fairness though the long flight was completely worth it...then getting off in Cairns (First Oz stop) was spectacular...the first thing we did when we got to Kuranda was try Aussie meat pies. They passed the Brit pie test with flying colours. 😄 

Excellent news to hear. We owe a debt of gratitude for sending us the recipe for pies.

17 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

No I said I was an EU loving Brit...nothing about the EU loving the Brits.

Sorry - I misunderstood your comment - however ETIAS is not only EU - many Schengen countries are not member of EU but in the Schengen Area - UK is not in Schengen and a passport is required when traveling into Schengen. Bhence an ETIAS approval from 2021.

15 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Good for 3 years for $7.90.  I wonder if the U.S. will reciprocate.  

For many years I have paid US$ 14 for an ESTA valid for only two youars - no reason for USA to reciprocate.

15 minutes ago, hallasm said:

For many years I have paid US$ 14 for an ESTA valid for only two youars - no reason for USA to reciprocate.

But that will not stop the complaining of some, that straw that is breaking the camel's back doesn't have to be very big apparently.

39 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

But that will not stop the complaining of some, that straw that is breaking the camel's back doesn't have to be very big apparently.

People are going to complain if it's too sunny. Best to ignore the baseless complaints and if this does prevent someone from traveling then it's their loss (and possibly our gain?🤔)

We paid about $20 for or Australian Visa a few month ago.  It took about five minutes to apply.  We had an acknowledgement back within five minutes.

We paid about $30 for a Cambodian Visa at the airport.  It took 15 minutes.

We paid $60 for a Turkish Visa on arrival at Istanbul.  It took all of five minutes.

Not certain why anyone would assume that this process and the associated fee, would be an impediment to travel.

As the OP said, this is all about nothing.

Edited by iancal

33 minutes ago, iancal said:

We paid about $20 for or Australian Visa a few month ago.  It took about five minutes to apply.  We had an acknowledgement back within five minutes.

We paid about $30 for a Cambodian Visa at the airport.  It took 15 minutes.

We paid $60 for a Turkish Visa on arrival at Istanbul.  It took all of five minutes.

Not certain why anyone would assume that this process and the associated fee, would be an impediment to travel.

As the OP said, this is all about nothing.

And if the turn around time is as rapid as these other countries even if someone forgets and/or doesn't know about the requirement it's easy enough to get before a flight/cruise.

It probably took around 30 minutes for me to do the ESTA application for me and my wife. Not a big deal but the problem is that some things needed in the application doesn't apply for us. For example it's not easy to fill in the state or province when we don't have that in Sweden. Place of birth is also a problem because the Swedish version translated that to "birthtown" (but in Swedish) and the town of birth is not mentioned in our passports.