Travel to Europe won’t be so easy come 2021 - EUROPE VISA

2 hours ago, dolittle said:

I think this will be ironed out before it takes effect . It would not make sense for Europe to keep people from the U.S. out, and many countries make big money from tourist dollars .

Not sure it is a money making exercise, I think it is more a political stance.

17 minutes ago, WeighAnchor said:

Looks pretty easy to me. We had to do something similar with ETA for Australia. Anyway, it is only once every three years with unlimited entries. I can handle that. 

Exactly, not a revenue raiser at all.

I was watching the news, and there was info about this scrolling along the bottom of the screen.  It will cost around $8 and can be done online.  You will know within minutes if you've been approved.  The ETIAS will last 3 yrs. or until the expiration of your ID document (passport for most of us), whichever comes first.

You will need a visa if you want to stay in Europe for more than 90 days.  

Roz

Edited by Roz

We had been thinking of a cruise to either the Baltic or the med in 2021 to celebrate our upcoming anniversary, but after reading about this new visa I think we can scratch that idea off our list.  We already did the med and there isn't anything there I would pay an additional 7 euro/pounds/ dollars to see.   I think we are paying enough to each country already with the port charges we pay.   I haven't been to the Baltic, but I guess I won't miss that either since I haven't seen it and also am not interested in paying anything additional after paying for our passports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hflors said:

We had been thinking of a cruise to either the Baltic or the med in 2021 to celebrate our upcoming anniversary, but after reading about this new visa I think we can scratch that idea off our list.  We already did the med and there isn't anything there I would pay an additional 7 euro/pounds/ dollars to see.   I think we are paying enough to each country already with the port charges we pay.   I haven't been to the Baltic, but I guess I won't miss that either since I haven't seen it and also am not interested in paying anything additional after paying for our passports.

Wow!  I can't imagine being willing to write off visiting some of the most interesting places in the world over the requirement to fill out an on-line form and pay a very modest fee entitling you entry to 22 countries for 3 years!  It certainly won't stop us.

• Like 5

It will not deter us. Given that the process seems quick (completed on -line), cheap, and comprehensive (22 countries for 3 years) it will be a minor inconvenience compared with the hassles and expense of obtaining some visas (for example Brazil in 2009 and 2016).

20 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Surely you jest, $8 doesn't even get you a wine onboard most ships. Seems very harsh on yourself not to cruise the Baltic and what it has to offer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hflors said:

So you'll  scrub an entire cruise because you need to spend a few minutes filling out a form online and pay what amounts to less than a glass a of wine - a cost well under 1% of your total vacation. Well alrighty then. Looks like those passports of yours that you've already paid for can just stay tucked away in a drawer

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dolittle said:

I think this will be ironed out before it takes effect . It would not make sense for Europe to keep people from the U.S. out, and many countries make big money from tourist dollars .

The reason that they are doing it is that we are requiring Visas for them to enter the US.  It is called "appropriate response".

DON

10 hours ago, dolittle said:

It doesn't make sense for the U.S. to keep people from Europe out either but we still need the ESTA.

I don't really think this is a complicated thing so nothing to worry about. We do the ESTA and you can do the ETIAS.

From a European's perspective it makes complete sense as we have bought ESTAs and Aussie Visas and alsorts when we visit you all.

However, as a EU loving Brit I really hope I won't have to buy this if you get me....fingers crossed on that one.

I do not think ETIAS will be a big deal - relatively low cost and 3 years. It’s primarily a  Travel Information and Authorization System.

21 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

However, as a EU loving Brit I really hope I won't have to buy this if you get me....fingers crossed on that one

Sure EU is loving Brit’s, but this is actually not EU but Schengen Area, and UK is not member of Schengen - hence you’ll also need an approval.

I alway apply for an ESTA as late as possible (few weeks) prior to my travel to USA - do not expect ‘denied approval’ - I’ll recommend the same for ETIAS - apply as late as possible to get most use of the three years.

6 hours ago, Hflors said:

We Europeans have been paying double that ($15) for a US ESTA with a two-year validity.

Never heard anyone say they'll scratch the US because of that fee. :classic_rolleyes:

But it's your $7, so feel free to keep it in your pocket if the cost grieves you.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Quite true...assuming people are aware of it ahead of time and actually apply in advance. Likely the Cruise Documents will include notifications of this requirement...but not everyone reads those end to end unfortunately.

It's more likely to affect air travel, but yes it is something extra to keep in mind. It certainly won't affect our travel plans.

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Exactly, not a revenue raiser at all.

Multiply the fee for millions of people...and it is indeed a revenue raiser.

That said...it will be easy and not expensive at all per person.

The main issue is that people need to be made aware of this new documentation requirement by travel agencies and the cruise lines so that no one forgets to sign up prior to their travels. That was the point of starting this thread - awareness.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The main issue is that people need to be made aware of this new documentation requirement by travel agencies and the cruise lines so that no one forgets to sign up prior to their travels. That was the point of starting this thread - awareness.

Thank you for alerting people.   Unfortunately some cruisers get their knickers in a knot over any small thing,  Guess we won’t see those people in Australia either as USCitizens require an ESTA to travel to Australia, as we have  done for many years past to travel to US

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

It doesn't make sense for the U.S. to keep people from Europe out either but we still need the ESTA.

I don't really think this is a complicated thing so nothing to worry about. We do the ESTA and you can do the ETIAS.

It really is pretty simple and standard practice between many countries.

26 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Thank you for alerting people.   Unfortunately some cruisers get their knickers in a knot over any small thing,  Guess we won’t see those people in Australia either as USCitizens require an ESTA to travel to Australia, as we have  done for many years past to travel to US

We were just there in December...the ESTA process and fee were no big deal...but it is something "new" for U.S. travelers who have never been to your beautiful country.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Surely if it was purely to raise revenue it would cost more, be only for one entry or only one year, etc In addition, which country would it go to? Surely some of the EU countries would get many more tourists than all the others.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Surely if it was purely to raise revenue it would cost more, be only for one entry or only one year, etc In addition, which country would it go to? Surely some of the EU countries would get many more tourists than all the others.

No one said that...it was only said that it would raise plenty of revenue.

21 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Since the U.K. is not participating, at least not yet, I wonder if the visa will be required for cruises sailing out of the U.K. and only making port stops in Europe? 

Yes, the visa will be required as UK citizens will also have to pay it post Brexit