Travel to Europe won’t be so easy come 2021 - EUROPE VISA

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Bzzzz.  sorry.  I am a proud holder of a passport from the United States of America.  I am not a Euro... 

Nothing personal at all...we're talking about the agenda-oriented comments in your post. Those could come from anyone, anywhere.

It's been said now at least a dozen times...the new process is neither an exorbitant cost nor complicated procedure.

But it adds another layer of extra action required to take a European port cruise, which introduces the potential for plenty of folks who simply won't know ahead of time, and therefore will have "issues" at the last minute.

This is an education process which the travel industry will have to endure and execute, and rest assured, some folks will find the added process a deterrent to travel in that part of the world. It's their right to have that perspective, whether or not others agree.

The original informational post was a voluntary sharing of information to compliment that "educational process".

Like we also said previously, we would not see this as an obstacle, as we've already done 4 trips to Europe and enjoy that part of the world, although there are some considerations that are growing as a concern.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, blackshirt said:

Since the U.K. is not participating, at least not yet, I wonder if the visa will be required for cruises sailing out of the U.K. and only making port stops in Europe? 

I think you will still need a visa. Just like if an American takes  a Caribbean cruise that goes to Cuba, needs a visa for Cuba. However, the cruise line will take care of the visa in that case but you still pay $75 processing fee. It may be different for Europe. I know Americans already need a visa for Russia but I understand it is waved if on cruise ship?  I guess you would  need to find out from your travel agent.

22 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

I think you will still need a visa. Just like if an American takes  a Caribbean cruise that goes to Cuba, needs a visa for Cuba. However, the cruise line will take care of the visa in that case but you still pay $75 processing fee. It may be different for Europe. I know Americans already need a visa for Russia but I understand it is waved if on cruise ship?  I guess you would  need to find out from your travel agent.

No, Russia visa is not waived if on a cruise ship. Most cruisers get their visa through the excursion provider rather than separately. You also go through customs in Russia, I imagine Cuba too. I can’t imagine The European counties setting up customs at ports that don’t currently have it just to ensure everyone has a visa. 

One of my concerns with the new ETIAS is involving the roll out and whether all people looking to travel to Europe who may be affected and all border agents are aware of this change. For example, I didn't know that the ETIAS would affect Canadians as well until I did my research because from the threads here and from some American reporting, it seemed that it would be for Americans only. It's not. It will affect 60 countries, including Canada. 

There also seems to be questions about how this will work, such as whether or not you need to bring something with you to verify your ETIAS status or whether this will automatically be recognized at the border, though such questions should be resolved the sooner we get to 2021. As it claims the process can be done in less than 10 minutes, perhaps unaware travellers can complete it whilst they are at the airport so they can still continue to travel. I hope this is the case for the benefit of everyone!

Adding another visa complication to travel is certainly a bummer, particularly when we don't yet know exactly what will be asked of the new 60 countries. We have an idea of what they might need but of course no one has had access to this ETIAS form yet.

Though the process itself seems easy, the word "visa" or hearing a long acronym like ETIAS may make people scared that they will have to go through an arduous process and turn back without knowing how easy it appears to be, particularly if they have never had to apply for a visa before. I hope that in the coming years, the ETIAS authorities will work to educate everyone about how exactly this process works and ensure that it remains simple to complete.

Just now, simplyrubies said:

One of my concerns with the new ETIAS is involving the roll out and whether all people looking to travel to Europe who may be affected and all border agents are aware of this change. For example, I didn't know that the ETIAS would affect Canadians as well until I did my research because from the threads here and from some American reporting, it seemed that it would be for Americans only. It's not. It will affect 60 countries, including Canada. 

It will probably work the  same the eTA  & ESTA  works  for  Europeans coming to Canada  & the USA

If  it is not done prior & attached electronically to your passport 

they will not be allowed on the flight  to the Schengen  Country

Cruise lines may also deny boarding if you do not have all the proper documents

It is  NOT  a Visa  but a travel Authorization  to enter those Countries

7 hours ago, iancal said:

We paid about $20 for or Australian Visa a few month ago.  It took about five minutes to apply.  We had an acknowledgement back within five minutes.

We paid about $30 for a Cambodian Visa at the airport.  It took 15 minutes.

We paid $60 for a Turkish Visa on arrival at Istanbul.  It took all of five minutes.

Not certain why anyone would assume that this process and the associated fee, would be an impediment to travel.

As the OP said, this is all about nothing.

So totally true.

For those of us that travel the world getting Visas is simply another task to complete before departure, or upon arrival. Getting a European Visa will only take an extra couple of minutes.

Personally, don't see any issue, but for those that find it an issue, suggest they stick to the Caribbean.🙂

• Like 2

23 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've had plenty observations in Europe with the "superior" Americans to validate my opinion: whining when they can't understand why someone doesn't speak English, whining when they can't use $US to buy a Chinese-made trinket from a street vendor in Vernazza, whining that the pizza they get isn't the same they get in New York/New Jersey/California...  

Taxes/visas are all an accepted part of world travel for most of the world.  If someone has a a $10 fee push them over the edge, I fear they have budgeted far too close - what would happen for an emergency?  

If the rest of the world need to pay for visas, why not Americans?  We are not special.

Funny how it is perfectly acceptable to stereotype Americans, but if you stereotype any other group you are the scum of the earth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Nothing personal at all...we're talking about the agenda-oriented comments in your post. Those could come from anyone, anywhere.

It's been said now at least a dozen times...the new process is neither an exorbitant cost nor complicated procedure.

But it adds another layer of extra action required to take a European port cruise, which introduces the potential for plenty of folks who simply won't know ahead of time, and therefore will have "issues" at the last minute.

This is an education process which the travel industry will have to endure and execute, and rest assured, some folks will find the added process a deterrent to travel in that part of the world. It's their right to have that perspective, whether or not others agree.

The original informational post was a voluntary sharing of information to compliment that "educational process".

Like we also said previously, we would not see this as an obstacle, as we've already done 4 trips to Europe and enjoy that part of the world, although there are some considerations that are growing as a concern.

Not sure what "agenda-oriented" comments mean.   I just don't appreciate the attitude I witness from some - they perpetuate the "ugly American toorist" stereotype and give all of us a bad name.  If someone is given rude treatment, we have them to blame.  

It's not that the visa is expensive or complicated - it is that some draw that line that $10 (or whatever the cost) is too much for them to cause them to cancel a vacation costing thousands.  To me, it's akin to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

3 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Funny how it is perfectly acceptable to stereotype Americans, but if you stereotype any other group you are the scum of the earth.

I am critical of my fellow Americans because how they behave affects how all of us are treated as a group.  I'll let others from other countries talk about their countrymen...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I am critical of my fellow Americans because how they behave affects how all of us are treated as a group.  I'll let others from other countries talk about their countrymen...

Because Americans are all the same.  The very epitome of stereotyping.  Based on your posts it is shocking that anyone would EVER treat you rudely.

19 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Because Americans are all the same.  The very epitome of stereotyping.  Based on your posts it is shocking that anyone would EVER treat you rudely.

Did I say all are the same?  No, I didn't.   And, I have honestly NEVER been treated rudely when I travel.   I go with the flow and don't worry that I can't always figure out the language - that is part of the fun of being in a different country.  And, I have a passport full of stamps and visas for my experiences.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackshirt said:

No, Russia visa is not waived if on a cruise ship. Most cruisers get their visa through the excursion provider rather than separately. You also go through customs in Russia, I imagine Cuba too. I can’t imagine The European counties setting up customs at ports that don’t currently have it just to ensure everyone has a visa. 

Okay then like Cuba. That was just something someone here on CC told me a few years  back that had done a Baltic cruise. We were looking into doing one  with my motherinlaw and sisterinlaw about 5 years ago but they backed out and so we never went.

Edited by momofmeg

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Did I say all are the same?  No, I didn't.   And, I have honestly NEVER been treated rudely when I travel.   I go with the flow and don't worry that I can't always figure out the language - that is part of the fun of being in a different country.  And, I have a passport full of stamps and visas for my experiences.  

You know that is true, when traveling the  locals are almost always friendly.  Only on the internet do people act differently and it seems to be Universal, not just one country.

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

Sorry - I misunderstood your comment - however ETIAS is not only EU - many Schengen countries are not member of EU but in the Schengen Area - UK is not in Schengen and a passport is required when traveling into Schengen. Bhence an ETIAS approval from 2021.

For many years I have paid US$ 14 for an ESTA valid for only two youars - no reason for USA to reciprocate.

Yes I know the UK is not in Schengen as you keep describing. I was discussing the talks at a summit that certain non Schengen countries in the EU wanted to be put forward to be exempt from paying the fee due to their radius to the Schengen zone.

Naturally those wishing the UK to remain in the EU (there are lots of us I assure you) would like to be exempt from the fee. I believe. I think Cyprus may have been another one.

I think every nationality is t least a little bit embarrassed, at the most ashamed, by the behaviour of fellow country men and women when abroad. True, the anonymity of the internet allows some of this behaviour to become more extreme and acts as a polarising argument.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think every nationality is t least a little bit embarrassed, at the most ashamed, by the behaviour of fellow country men and women when abroad. True, the anonymity of the internet allows some of this behaviour to become more extreme and acts as a polarising argument.

Sometimes, I think it is the "I think thou doth protest too much" syndrome - some don't the image staring back 😉

Ready to get my visa...

8 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Naturally those wishing the UK to remain in the EU (there are lots of us I assure you) would like to be exempt from the fee. I believe. I think Cyprus may have been another one.

I'm sure that most people in the EU should prefer that you stayed. I was not happy with the result in your Brexit/Bremain election.

The only good thing with Brexit I can think of is that we might be able to buy taxfree at Heathrow when you have left the EU!

Edited by sverigecruiser

20 hours ago, blackshirt said:

No, Russia visa is not waived if on a cruise ship. Most cruisers get their visa through the excursion provider rather than separately.

I'm just being pedantic here, but in Russia the visa is indeed waived for those on an excursion provided by the ship or local authorised tour agents. Those visits are visa-free, not visa-included. The tour tickets don't include a visa, they permit entry without a visa.

But as I said, that's being pedantic - except in rare & unusual circumstances there's no difference between visa-free and visa-included. 

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It will probably work the  same the eTA  & ESTA  works  for  Europeans coming to Canada  & the USA

If  it is not done prior & attached electronically to your passport 

they will not be allowed on the flight  to the Schengen  Country

Cruise lines may also deny boarding if you do not have all the proper documents

It is  NOT  a Visa  but a travel Authorization  to enter those Countries

Agreed an EU ETIAS will be recorded electronically, like a US ESTA. 

A US immigration officer should know that an ESTA is in force as soon as they offer up a passport to their system.

We always take our paper copy of our ESTAs in case there's some electronic blip, though we've never had to fall back on it.

But we've never been asked to show our ESTAs in order to board a US-bound aircraft. I don't know whether that's because it's not the airline's problem, or because the airlines have access to appropriate ESTA records.  

Yes, - as others have also been at pains to point out, an ESTA and the up-coming ETIAS, are not "visas", they're in lieu of a visa.

But is the difference as pedantic as my point about Russian visa-waivers? 

You have to submit an application with personal details, you have to pay a fee (as most but not all visas), and you can be denied an ESTA or ETIAS if you don't fit the appropriate requirements (criminal records, etc).

So I take the attitude that an ESTA or ETIAS is a visa. 

Can anyone throw any light on any difference between them and visas for the average Joe??

18 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I too was a bit taken-aback by the post referred to. Then I realised it was posted by an American, so rather different to the normal protocols. But it was still OTT.

Self-deprecation is more of a British disease - we're always putting ourselves down - and it's unusual to see n American doing that.

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep. I was so embarrassed when English football supporters were reviled throughout Europe because of the antics of a large minority that I actually lost interest in football for a few decades  And I'm still embarrassed by the antics of a sector of "Brits abroad" who can't hold their drink and believe that they can behave so differently just because they're miles from Blighty.

And yes, the anonymity of the web is too big a temptation for many folk.

Would they be so forthright, so "brave" and so ignorant if they met their protagonist face-to-face?

JB :classic_wink:

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I believe there is more than enough stereotyping that goes on among all sides, all nationalities, ages, ethnicities, whatever. 

I've traveled a fair amount throughout my life, for business and pleasure, and at the end of the day I've found most people are helpful, though a few will not be. And most travelers are polite, though some are not (and it can be very distressing when those share your nationality!).  Often such behavior is a result of people just being out of their comfort zone and not knowing what to expect.

Trying to speak a bit of the local language and establish a common ground can go a long way toward creating some rapport. My golden rules of travel are: 1) be respectful of local culture, whatever it is; 2) be curious, but in a friendly (not combative) way; 3) maintain a sense of humor; and  4) always keep in mind that you are a guest in someone else's country and it's not going to be the same as at home -- in fact, that's one reason I like to travel. Sameness doesn't stretch the mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks cruisemom42, I cringe when I see someone from my country acting in an obnoxious manner overseas.  Every country has some of these travellers.

Your advice is great, I try to follow this, even though my pronunciation sometimes leaves  people confused.  The one thing I would add is to smile, this gets you out iof all sorts of situations, and most people are so helpful when you smile.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, Roz said:

You will need a visa if you want to stay in Europe for more than 90 days.  

If it is for only stays longer than 90 days, there is no real change.  As current Schengen rules are you can only stay up to 90 days out of each 180 days.  So limited to 90 day stay.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:02 PM, slidergirl said:

I've had plenty observations in Europe with the "superior" Americans to validate my opinion: whining when they can't understand why someone doesn't speak English, whining when they can't use $US to buy a Chinese-made trinket from a street vendor in Vernazza, whining that the pizza they get isn't the same they get in New York/New Jersey/California...  

Taxes/visas are all an accepted part of world travel for most of the world.  If someone has a a $10 fee push them over the edge, I fear they have budgeted far too close - what would happen for an emergency?  

If the rest of the world need to pay for visas, why not Americans?  We are not special.

Hmmmmm, seems you have not traveled to many other countries, to see European tourists do the same things.

TOURISTS are the issue, no matter where the come from. 😄

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

We always take our paper copy of our ESTAs in case there's some electronic blip, though we've never had to fall back on it.

But we've never been asked to show our ESTAs in order to board a US-bound aircraft.

Interesting. Flying from Portugal, we have always had to produce a printed copy of our ESTAs when checking in for our flights to the US and at the enhanced security check-point at the boarding gate. We have also been asked to show them to the immigration officer on arrival in Miami on all but the most recent occasion (this past November).