MDR Breakfast - Princess

Clampram

At least once per cruise, we try the MDR breakfast in hopes of having a nice experience. I just don't learn from my mistakes, though. We just tried again on our Jan cruise on the Royal and it was yet another disappointment. Taking 1.5 hours for the meal, having toast that comes 30 minutes after an egg, then another 15 minutes for jelly just elevates my BP to a new high.

What a screwed up process this is........

I like the buffet breakfast in Horizon and that's where I am staying! When I win the lottery, we'll get a suite and then we can do the more upscale breakfast for suite passengers.

OK.........I've said my piece!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Clampram said:

At least once per cruise, we try the MDR breakfast in hopes of having a nice experience. I just don't learn from my mistakes, though. We just tried again on our Jan cruise on the Royal and it was yet another disappointment. Taking 1.5 hours for the meal, having toast that comes 30 minutes after an egg, then another 15 minutes for jelly just elevates my BP to a new high.

I like the buffet breakfast in Horizon and that's where I am staying! When I win the lottery, we'll get a suite and then we can do the more upscale breakfast for suite passengers.

Been on the Royal for five weeks and have had breakfast almost every morning in the MDR

Takes about a half hour if we sit at a table for two or perhaps longer if we chat at a table for six.

Been very happy thus far

Howard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Clampram said:

Agree 100% - preachin' to the choir ..

35 minutes ago, Clampram said:

I'm with you. I've often marveled that the same team that does a respectable job at lunch and dinner can't seem to put one foot in front of the other without tripping at breakfast.

Wrong orders, missing parts, late food, cold food. Are they all hung over or what?

Jim

44 minutes ago, hm9912 said:

Been on the Royal for five weeks and have had breakfast almost every morning in the MDR

Takes about a half hour if we sit at a table for two or perhaps longer if we chat at a table for six.

Been very happy thus far

Howard

I agree! It is not rocket science. If you want to eat faster make your desires known.

2 hours ago, Clampram said:

Couldn't agree with you more!! 15 minute warning to poach an egg? And then it comes out hard and I overdone - and definitely in a mold?  Pass.  Breakfast in the MDR is disappointing, at least every time I've tried it. 

The suite breakfast is better - about on par with regular breakfast on Celebrity or MSC or Royal Caribbean. Except the free specialty coffee or mimosas.  

2 hours ago, hm9912 said:

Been very happy thus far

Howard

This has been our experience on every cruise we have been. As another posted, be clear on what you want. We have never had a problem.

• Like 2

We did two Princess cruises (on the Caribbean & the Crown) in January, followed by one on Holland America's Zuiderdam. We were amazed at how much better MDR breakfasts were on the HAL ship. Better menu, better food, and better service. Surprising, because MDR lunches and dinners were far better on Princess!

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

I'm sorry, but I have never had a problem with breakfast in the MDR.

Same here. We nearly always have breakfast in the MDR, and I can't recall any problems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've found that, if one orders Eggs Benedict, it's wise to ask for extra Hollandaise. Otherwise you get a very skimpy portion. Other than that we've never had a problem with MDR breakfast. (Other than the fact that we rarely get it together to actually make it to breakfast that early. :classic_blush:)

• Like 3

I am also of the opinion that the dining room breakfast leaves a bit to be desired.  In about a dozen Princess cruises, I've had breakfast in the dining room twice.  (Mrs. XBGuy sleeps in every morning, and, as a result, she has never had breakfast in a dining room.)  My first experience was a few years ago and I sat at a table with five other people.  The only thing I remember about that meal was that I was glad that I did not have to see the lady sitting next to me, again.  My last experience, just last September, was almost hilarious.  I sat alone that time.  The featured breakfast that day was Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs.  Pay dirt.  That is my favorite breakfast.  Bring it on, eggs poached easy, please, and an English Muffin.

I have to say that the eggs were absolutely beautiful on the plate.  They looked perfect, and it turned out that they were perfectly cooked--just the way I ordered them.

What is this silver-dollar sized brown splotch next to the eggs on my plate?

The corned beef hash!!!!!!

It was hilarious.  It was gone with two swoops of my fork.

When the server put down the little dish with the English Muffin, I asked for some butter,  I like butter on my English Muffin,

"Of course, sir," and a minute later he comes back with one of those little butter dishes with some of those flower shaped pats on it.  It was not as hard as nails, but I can't think of a better simile, right now.  Needless to say, it was not spreadable.  I broke it up into. roughly, 3/8-inch chunks, and, trying to spread the chunks only caused me to rip my English Muffin.  So, I just distributed the little butter chunks across the two pieces of muffin.  I was hopeful that there was still some residual heat in the muffin slices to, at least, soften the butter.  Nope.  Oh well.

I am, of course, being hyperbolic.  This definitely falls into the category of "First World Problems."

The next morning I had breakfast in the buffet and plopped an absolutely grotesque amount of corned beef hash onto my plate.

Life is good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I only had one MDR Breakfast on Royal Princess during my New Year's Cruise.  It was actually the best meal I had in the MDR other than my Embarkation Lunch.  A previous poster mentioned their satisfaction with MDR Breakfasts in HAL's MDR.  I agree with all of the positives that were mentioned.  But, something that is now missing from the HAL Breakfast menu are the "daily specials" that Princess offers.  For those who dine in the MDR for Breakfast frequently having "something different" offered is one thing that Princess does right, in my opinion.    

We have always preferred breakfast in the MDR and have had nothing to complain about. However, we are just off the Crown two days ago and I am a bit disappointed that my usual breakfast starter 'orange segments' has been reduced to 3 segments in a tiny dish. Twice in 10 days it was 6 segments in a larger dish.

Segments.jpg

We do an annual cruise with 3 generations - grandmas, moms, and grandsons.  We love the MDR breakfast because the older ladies enjoy the civility and the grandsons will sit and have a leisurely meal all together.  The Moms could care less what we get served as long as we all get to sit together and enjoy the time

You know who does a great Sea Day brunch..... Carnival

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2019 at 8:41 AM, Clampram said:

I see you're learned. 

The DR is a drawn out process that really kills the morning. By the time you've finished breakfast all the chair hogs will have claimed their spots and are in the buffet eating breakfast. 😁

19 hours ago, MGAfhc said:

We have always preferred breakfast in the MDR and have had nothing to complain about. However, we are just off the Crown two days ago and I am a bit disappointed that my usual breakfast starter 'orange segments' has been reduced to 3 segments in a tiny dish. Twice in 10 days it was 6 segments in a larger dish.

Segments.jpg

Easy solution for that, order another, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Just off the Coral and had a great breakfast in MDR 13 out of 15 days. Only once was my English muffin not hot, otherwise everything else was great! I blame those roving  pastry guys for my weight gain!

😉😉😉

• Haha 1

Have only ever cruised on RC Independence ot Seas and Sapphire Princess and have to say MDR breakfast was better on RC, however for a different reason to others.  On RC even in the MDR there was a small buffet area with fruit, cereals, danish etc so while the main breakfast order was cooking it was good to be able to use the buffet area.

On RC we used the MDR most days but on Princess once was enough.