PIER AT COCO CAY

Traveler1010, I just looked at our cruise planner for Anthem (3/23), and Coco Cay is still listed.  If it isn't going to happen, I would think they would have sent out the Miami email everyone else received for this weeks sailing.

I know there is supposed to be transportation within the "park" in the form of a tram/s that run every 15 minutes, but that is one long walk for a toddler or an elderly person from where the ship is berthed to the entrance of the park, especially carrying anything with them. 

I hope there will be some kind of transportation besides being in a wheel chair for those people who can not walk the distance from the ship to where the tram/s will be provided.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, A2Mich said:

Is Coco Cay going to have its own WiFi?  Didn’t think they were close enough to another larger island for service from another location.

Why wouldn't they use regular satellite internet? The island doesn't move around so the signal would be constant and fast. No need to beam or cable it from a land-based source.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Katy_Tbird said:

Why wouldn't they use regular satellite internet? The island doesn't move around so the signal would be constant and fast. No need to beam or cable it from a land-based source.

Because the latency would suck (and lead to poor real world performance for most), just like on the ship - and would likely be more expensive.

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I know there is supposed to be transportation within the "park" in the form of a tram/s that run every 15 minutes, but that is one long walk for a toddler or an elderly person from where the ship is berthed to the entrance of the park, especially carrying anything with them. 

I hope there will be some kind of transportation besides being in a wheel chair for those people who can not walk the distance from the ship to where the tram/s will be provided.

I think the same thing about Labadee.  I wish they had some kind of tram that would come to the ship there, too.  I doubt they have it at either though.

15 minutes ago, Maraprince said:

Anything is better than having to tender to the island from the ship!  Makes it easier to get back on if we do not like what we find once on the island.

MARAPRINCE

LOL  I never want to leave CocoCay....love it there!

3 hours ago, Hawk308 said:

Used the pier on Enchantment yesterday. Very convenient, though the late afternoon stragglers may disagree. There was a huge line to get back on the ship about 4:30. 

96F9AF46-598E-4325-8204-2679C91C2C5D.jpeg

Is the lagoon pool open as well or just the pier?

9 minutes ago, MANDMTRAVEL said:

Is the lagoon pool open as well or just the pier?

Big pool was open, as was the new food service area. Food was the best lunch of the cruise and the pool is unreal. 

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Because the latency would suck (and lead to poor real world performance for most), just like on the ship - and would likely be more expensive.

Coca Cay is between 45-50 miles from other major Bahama Islands.  Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Abaco.  Not sure if the cruise lines would pay to lay the cable to get to their islands however, there are three.  Coca Cay and right next to it is NCL.  In the vicinity is Disney.  I doubt the bean counters would allow this even if all three companies go into it together.

Another alternative would be if we assume Grand Bahama has a wired connection to the mainland.  Then they put up repeater towers between it and the private islands.  There are other populated islands in the vicinity that may have some of the infrasturture already in place that they can piggy-back on.  I am no expert on network communication if this speculation is even close to potential reality.

Now back to the latency issue.  Just because you are on a private island in the middle of the Bahama sea why would expect better performance than being on ship?

Also keep in mind charging for the service.

The easiest way is to "extend" each cruise ship existing internet Satellite connection to the island.  As each ship pulls in the island the islands wifi network "plugs" into the ship existing satelite infrastructure.  Part of which is to validate what has been bought in regards to an individual passenger access.

The other alternative is to have a satellite up/down link on the island.  They can download each passengers information in regards if they have an internet package to servers located at the satellite up/down stations. 

I am pretty sure the multi-millionaires go a satellite up/down link route on their private islands.  Think of the days before ATT bought DirectTV.  DirectTV offered a internet connection through satellites.  Took more hardware on your roof but was used.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, nashirak said:

It’s not fake news, the pier really is open for some ships that don’t need the farther out bollards. We are here right now. Captain also said there will be another ship at the pier tomorrow. I’m also posting on the WiFi at the snorkel beach. bf2b42ad1c0353733dda380fad0808aa.jpg
18174b8351c29731e7ebe99256fa5b4f.jpg124586276760c6e15dcdfe22d2b994a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news.  Our luck was about 50% in being able to tender and we decided to avoid Coco Cay till dock was open.

21 minutes ago, gatour said:

Now back to the latency issue.  Just because you are on a private island in the middle of the Bahama sea why would expect better performance than being on ship?

Because some of crappiest land based internet connections can sometimes have lower latency than the best connection on an O3B based ship. 

Biker, who thinks OneWeb will resolve this issue in a couple of years. 

32 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Great news.  Our luck was about 50% in being able to tender and we decided to avoid Coco Cay till dock was open.

They will still cancel with bad weather or if so windy might damage dock.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, nashirak said:

This was in my cruise compass for my 3/18-3/23 on Mariner yesterday. fab1e5a276ae46bf23b02e031f9c9bc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The letter says that Oasis Lagoon is "the largest freshwater pool in the Caribbean".  I'm guessing geography is not one of the letter writer's strong suits.

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, Biker19 said:

Because some of crappiest land based internet connections can sometimes have lower latency than the best connection on an O3B based ship. 

Biker, who thinks OneWeb will resolve this issue in a couple of years. 

Did you not see the part about "Cost" to do land based internet connections, when multiple ships are docking and how to validate them back to the packages.

From my prior post...

Also keep in mind charging for the service.

The easiest way is to "extend" each cruise ship existing internet Satellite connection to the island.  As each ship pulls in the island the islands wifi network "plugs" into the ship existing satelite infrastructure.  Part of which is to validate what has been bought in regards to an individual passenger access.

The other alternative is to have a satellite up/down link on the island.  They can download each passengers information in regards if they have an internet package to servers located at the satellite up/down stations. 

6 minutes ago, gatour said:

Did you not see the part about "Cost" to do land based internet connections, when multiple ships are docking and how to validate them back to the packages.

What does that have to do with latency?

On 3/22/2019 at 7:19 AM, Katy_Tbird said:

IT isn’t my area of expertise.  Was just asking.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, gatour said:

Coca Cay is between 45-50 miles from other major Bahama Islands.  Grand Bahama, Nassau, Great Abaco.  Not sure if the cruise lines would pay to lay the cable to get to their islands however, there are three.  Coca Cay and right next to it is NCL.  In the vicinity is Disney.  I doubt the bean counters would allow this even if all three companies go into it together.

Another alternative would be if we assume Grand Bahama has a wired connection to the mainland.  Then they put up repeater towers between it and the private islands.  There are other populated islands in the vicinity that may have some of the infrasturture already in place that they can piggy-back on.  I am no expert on network communication if this speculation is even close to potential reality.

They could also run a fiber line to one island, then microwave link to the other islands.

Or, depending on the tower heights, microwave link from one of the major islands to the private islands.

Tropospheric scatter ("troposcatter" or "scatter") was a technology developed in the 1950s to allow microwave communication links beyond the horizon, to a range of several hundred kilometers.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:29 AM, Biker19 said:

Ha, they just said they'd have WiFi, did they ever promise it would be usable? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

If the island has cell service...people could create their own WIFI hotspots of course. 

I've never seen any indication of cell service on Coco Cay.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've never seen any indication of cell service on Coco Cay.

Not surprised...but just making the point that there are a number of ways that communications could be established - even via an "extension" of a ship's phone or WIFI systems. It is technologically possible, but appears to not yet be in play.