Viking incident

Presto2

50 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Don't know what's worse, staying on wildly rocking ship or having to be winched up to helo one passenger at a time.

Good point.  Either would be scary ....  

Edited by OCruisers

I am just glad that they were able to get the people off the ship and to safety.  Things like this do happen, but many of us think it will not happen to us.  My DH always has safety foremost in his mind no matter where we travel.  

I am guessing videos answered the question about why they are evacuating.

Simply put, one engine alone must not be sufficient to control the ship in those seas. As I understand it, the ship needs momentum to avoid being caught broadside in a trough.

If they have succeeded evac'ing in these conditions, I am in utter awe at the skill and determination shown by everybody.

Incidentally, instead of women and children first, I believe the passengers work it out so chair hogs go last.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm so glad the passengers are safe, most important!!

I'm so glad people learn that any ship can have problems, not just EDGE. Tune in and ask how this could happen on a cruise line introduced as better and they'll just say that! And it goes really fast to Norway and really nobody is paying attention to anybody else until it needs help? I promise you won't be booking Viking Ocean! We saw a lot of people on EDGE happy and ready for a do-over!!

I hope this helps!!

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Some people just need to stay in character, as if they are performing in the Eden.

I would avoid Norway as it’s still feels like winter season lately😍. Definitely in March can be a little cool but in the Bahamas will still be in the 70’s and closer by FL.  I’m hoping they get it all fixed sooner rather than later!!

And as far as I'm know nobody handles that kind of thing better than EDGE!! And yes go on the cruise and see!!

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My sister has a friend who is crew - he reported to her that it has calmed a little and almost all passengers are off and they are starting on crew evacuations.

Thats not what is being reported on the Viking forum by family of passengers on the Sky.  Less than 200 have been evacuated as they are being airlifted off one at a time via helicopter.  The ship is moving slowly but passengers are at muster stations, in life jackets as the ship is still in the mist of the storm.

47 minutes ago, Magik Bee said:

I would avoid Norway as it’s still feels like winter season lately😍. Definitely in March can be a little cool but in the Bahamas will still be in the 70’s and closer by FL.  I’m hoping they get it all fixed sooner rather than later!!

And as far as I'm know nobody handles that kind of thing better than EDGE!! And yes go on the cruise and see!!

You have a variety of issues.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

This would be terrifying!  We have seen 2 medical airlifts.  The crew on the helicopters and the ship who do this must have nerves of steel.  A helicopter in strong winds and a ship that is  moving with the water, praying they get everyone off safely.

Exactly! We've seen several helicopter airlifts that are difficult operations with many moving parts when the weather is clear and sea is calm. Add to that 43mph winds and 23' waves and it's terrifying. Kudos to the rescuers and crew capable of doing this and prayers to all. Thankfully the Master recognized the danger of running aground and acted appropriately to make choices aimed at keeping passengers and crew safe. 

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Exactly! We've seen several helicopter airlifts that are difficult operations with many moving parts when the weather is clear and sea is calm. Add to that 43mph winds and 23' waves and it's terrifying. Kudos to the rescuers and crew capable of doing this and prayers to all. Thankfully the Master recognized the danger of running aground and acted appropriately to make choices aimed at keeping passengers and crew safe. 

Coast Guard pilots worldwide kick butt!!

Thus is what they do.  Save lives in any weather!!!

• Thanks 1

According to the latest update on the BBC news there are still almost 1000 people on board even after evacuating all through the night by helicopter. Too rough for lifeboats. Very scary situation.

I am also wondering how they decide the order for evacuation when it is a slow process where they know many will be waiting for hours. Is it age, health, or (tongue in cheek) Suite passengers and Zenith and the big tippers 🤔

Hopefully the storm will abate a little and the ship will be able to limp back to shore where everyone can be looked after and repairs made. Thoughts with all involved.

6 hours ago, Magik Bee said:

This is a serious incident where lives are possibly at stake.  How you can make light of this and blabber on again about Edge and how much better it would have coped is beyond me.  By your own admission you have been one one cruise, so forgive me if I give zero credence to your opinion. 

• Like 2

MayDay is a most serious distress call where they are in a life and death situation.  The one engine working.....They don't know for how long it will continue to work?  The lost all electric, stabilizers, basically control of the entire ship.....Besides sinking, this is as bad as it gets.....If they lose that engine again the ship will be in danger of smashing into the rocks and depending on hull damage....could very well keel and sink......I feel for those passengers onboard.....just waiting and waiting and waiting.....and thinking and thinking......Mother nature is indeed a fickle beauty.  

Safe Sails to all! 

It looks as if they have stopped the helicopters and are now heading for port. Once the ship was under control, winching people off must surely have been a lot more dangerous than staying safely aboard.

I was thinking about the crew as well: most of them are waitstaff, cabin crew, entertainers or cooks, and they are expected to care for the passengers in a situation that is just as scary for them as for anyone else, and one for which they will have had very little training.

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1