One way dilemma

laurieb

We're cruising LA to PPT in January, and need a one way flight back to LAX; the price for one way on Air Tahiti Nui is ridiculous, more than a r/t ticket.

So the question is, if I purchased r/t PPTLAX could we just blow off the LAXPPT leg?  Our only other option is Air France, which is very reasonably priced, but I've been reading some very negative reviews lately.  I appreciate your input!

Air France have really upped their game in recent years, especially in the premium cabins so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Yes, you could blow off the second leg if you wanted, but the airline could theoretically try to charge you for the fare difference because it is against the Conditions of Carriage. It has come to light in a big way quite recently because of United and "Skiplagged". United and Lufthansa have said they will actively go after travellers who skip last legs so will other airlines jump on the bandwagon? Who knows. Will it strictly be enforced? Who knows. It's not something I do or will do even though I could save a fair bit of cash on my travels by doing so. 

A cheap way to leverage one way flights is to use miles. Air France are in Skyteam so partner with Delta for example. Air Tahiti Nui have partnership with lots of airlines including American. 

44 minutes ago, fbgd said:

Air France have really upped their game in recent years, especially in the premium cabins so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Yes, you could blow off the second leg if you wanted, but the airline could theoretically try to charge you for the fare difference because it is against the Conditions of Carriage. It has come to light in a big way quite recently because of United and "Skiplagged". United and Lufthansa have said they will actively go after travellers who skip last legs so will other airlines jump on the bandwagon? Who knows. Will it strictly be enforced? Who knows. It's not something I do or will do even though I could save a fair bit of cash on my travels by doing so. 

A cheap way to leverage one way flights is to use miles. Air France are in Skyteam so partner with Delta for example. Air Tahiti Nui have partnership with lots of airlines including American. 

Yes I agree not a good way to book a one way; I’ve looked at using mikes and may end up doing that.

with Air France, it’s a daytime flight and I don’t know that I could persuade my husband to fly premium economy; regular economy is very tight with 10 across

43 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Another option, frequently discussed here, is to look into cruise line airfares. One of their best performances is one way international airfares.

Right now nothing offered that isn’t available directly with the airlines.  

5 hours ago, laurieb said:

We're cruising LA to PPT in January, and need a one way flight back to LAX; the price for one way on Air Tahiti Nui is ridiculous, more than a r/t ticket.

So the question is, if I purchased r/t PPTLAX could we just blow off the LAXPPT leg?  Our only other option is Air France, which is very reasonably priced, but I've been reading some very negative reviews lately.  I appreciate your input!

Does United fly that route?

37 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Qantas do not operate the route. As you see from the link it states "operated by Air Tahiti Nui".

3 hours ago, laurieb said:

It’s a daytime flight and I don’t know that I could persuade my husband to fly premium economy; regular economy is very tight with 10 across

Nowt wrong with a dayflight on longhaul, other than it wastes a day I guess. AF Business Class has been upgraded recently and is now 1-2-1 with lie flat seats.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/classeetconfort/nouvelle-business-airfrance.htm

12 hours ago, laurieb said:

The new CEO at Air France use to be the head of Air Canada and was credited with improving the in flight experience there before going to Air France.  Looks like he is trying to do something similar at Air France/KLM. 

16 hours ago, laurieb said:

Air France, it’s a daytime flight and I don’t know that I could persuade my husband to fly premium economy

I've flown PE on AF and wasn't all that excited about it.  The seats don't recline in the typical sense; it's the fixed shell seat that tips back.  I didn't find it very comfortable at all.  Although if you're not trying to sleep (daytime flight) it might make a difference.

12 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I've flown PE on AF and wasn't all that excited about it.  The seats don't recline in the typical sense; it's the fixed shell seat that tips back.  I didn't find it very comfortable at all.  Although if you're not trying to sleep (daytime flight) it might make a difference.

To me it would make a difference. When you're not trying to sleep, it just means you're up for 8-10 hours to "enjoy" the discomfort.

What you might want to do is fly UA to SFO, then take a separate cheap ticket from SFO to LAX (or another area airport such as SNA or BUR).

You would want to have some degree of cushion - and you would have to do a full check-in procedure at SFO.

Another option is Air Caraibes operated by French Bee.  Very low pricing to SFO, but only on certain days and with a tight touristy configuration.  Remember, you get what you pay for.

20 hours ago, laurieb said:

You could but you would have to start in PPT->LAX with a return flight LAX->PPT.  You can't do LAX->PPT with a return Flight of PPT->LAX. As soon as you do not checkin/board the first flight of your intinerary, the entire itinerary is automatically cancelled.

Also airlines do keep track of people who do what you are thinking of doing and in some instances, those individuals have been banned from using that airline.

16 hours ago, laurieb said:

Azamara, so RCCL air program.  The consolidators I typically book through show nothing but published fares

Keep checking the Choice Air site--its prices can change from day to day.  We booked international business class airfare for our Azamara cruise in October that had been the same price as the airline's website when it dropped one day by about half.  The airfare for our cruise last year also bounced around a bit on Choice Air, but we eventually got Air Canada Rouge premium economy for about $600 PP less than the AC website.

Edited by hiccups

I’ve read a number of posts on the Celebrity board where people report high one-way fares on the Choice Air website, but dramatically lower prices when they call Choice Air. May be worth a call to them, if you haven’t already tried that route.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 12:41 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Another option, frequently discussed here, is to look into cruise line airfares. One of their best performances is one way international airfares.

Unfortunately it's not working out for me ... The one way I've been looking at recently is pricing higher with Air2Sea than it is directly with the carrier...and I check often.

Something happened last summer to one way flights thru cruiselines that caused a huge price jump online. Still that way.....

example my flight air2sea website $1400

My flight calling air2Sea  $382

call!!