Ugly people onboard the Silhouette

gerelmx

I can’t believe people on a cruise  complaining of everything and denied a simple hello. We need to request a dinner table change because our table mates were very rude,  I didn’t feel comfortable. 

Now our new table mates onboard the Silhouette  are very friendly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

There are usually TWO sides to every story but I gather we will never hear " theirs."  But whatever makes you comfortable.

The same situation happened to us many, many years ago on a different cruise line. There is a limit to what is tolerable, especially on vacation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

There are usually TWO sides to every story but I gather we will never hear " theirs."  But whatever makes you comfortable.

I want to hear more details from the OP's side. What were they complaining about? 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

I can’t believe people on a cruise  complaining of everything and denied a simple hello. We need to request a dinner table change because our table mates were very rude,  I didn’t feel comfortable. 

All types of people on a cruise same as everywhere else.  You said "ugly" in your title but probably meant rude so that has drawn some unintended responses. Sometimes cruise table mates are not a fit.  It happens.  You requested and got new ones.  Why is this an important topic here?  You handled it.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Silhouette is a great ship.

• Haha 1

Years ago we requested a table change from a table for 8.  One of the men drank, and drank some more and constantly was abusive of his wife.  The next night we were moved to a table for 6 and another couple from first night table were there.  Obviously we went the only ones that wanted to try away from first night table. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

All types of people on a cruise same as everywhere else.  You said "ugly" in your title but probably meant rude so that has drawn some unintended responses. Sometimes cruise table mates are not a fit.  It happens.  You requested and got new ones.  Why is this an important topic here?  You handled it.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Silhouette is a great ship.

Not sure where the original OP is from, but if he is from the south, he/she did indeed mean ugly.  In the south, when someone is referred to as "ugly", it means their behavior is inappropriate.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If you cruise long enough, you'll get temporarily stuck with someone like that.

We once were sitting at a table with two empty seats in the Lido on a long Veendam transatlantic when a man walked up with a plate and asked to sit down. Of course we invited him to join us. With every topic of typical cruise chat that came up, this man was negative and rude, including asking questions that were none of his business. We were relieved when lunch was over and glad we had wonderful dinner companions. The last time I saw him, he was at the front desk on the last day, loudly demanding that the gratuities be removed. 

• Haha 1

We no longer dine with fixed time seating as we tend to use the speciality restaurants so don’t sit with the same table mates the whole cruise. However when we did we met some individuals that were less than wonderful and did move tables at times. The flip side was we also met some wonderful people and still send gifts to a couple from Virginia 20 years later, swings and roundabouts.

• Like 3

Meh.  I'm not sure why this was worth posting about, or why the OP felt this was somehow unique to the Silhouette. I can about guarantee that similar situations occur on any given day on just about any cruise ship that's afloat.  People are people, and not everyone will get along. This should not come as a surprise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sleepless said:

Not sure where the original OP is from, but if he is from the south, he/she did indeed mean ugly.  In the south, when someone is referred to as "ugly", it means their behavior is inappropriate.

It state's in the OP's profile where he is from... Monterrey... So he is from the Northeast... of Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Sorry that happened to you, Gerardo. But don't worry about it. Among those of us who have cruised for many years, almost everyone has a story about either changing assigned dinner tables -- or wishing later that they had! Over the years, my DH and I were lucky to have had some wonderful dinner companions. Although once we found ourselves in a similar situation, where we sought out the Maitre'D, to request a new table assignment. These days, mostly for convenience sake, we opt for Select dining. Even then, those 2-tops are so close together, that you can make the acquaintance of some very nice folks, over the course of a cruise! Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise on Silhouette.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sleepless said:

I grew up in New England. When my mom said someone was 'ugly,' she was referring to their disposition, not their looks. 
I believe Gerardo is from Mexico. I had the pleasure of meeting him last week. He's a very nice gentleman. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

My sweet wife has a saying “people on vacation sometimes forget to pack their manners”. I’ve seen rude (or ugly) behavior too, the worst was an adult male nearly knocking an elderly lady down trying to beat her into the elevator mumbling about catching his flight.....

i hope the people mentioned are OFF the silhouette when we board in a couple of weeks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

If you cruise long enough, you'll get temporarily stuck with someone like that.

We once were sitting at a table with two empty seats in the Lido on a long Veendam transatlantic when a man walked up with a plate and asked to sit down. Of course we invited him to join us. With every topic of typical cruise chat that came up, this man was negative and rude, including asking questions that were none of his business. We were relieved when lunch was over and glad we had wonderful dinner companions. The last time I saw him, he was at the front desk on the last day, loudly demanding that the gratuities be removed. 

Appropriate answers when someone asks questions that are none of their business:

1.  Why would you ask that kind of question?  (accompanied by that look on your face and shaking your head).

2.  I'll forgive you for asking that, if you'll forgive me for not answering.

Comments we have utilized with unremittingly negative people:

1.  Oh, what a shame you're not enjoying yourself.  We are!!!!!  (said with a note of glee)

2.  REALLY???? Gosh, we haven't had that experience.  Maybe we just have different perspective.  Or the crew likes us better?  (said with a hint of humor, but meant seriously).

3.  If absolutely necessary, tell them nicely that you're not having a bad time, and would prefer not to hear about if they are.

25+ cruises and we've only asked to change tables once.  In all other cases, the "ugly" passengers went away to find somebody else to listen to them.

One thing we always remember about cruising:  With very, very, very rare exceptions, we'll never, never, never see these people again.  If they're annoyed, so be it.  If they see us dressed in the same outfit several nights at dinner, who cares.  And if they annoy us, we can walk away. . .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

One example they say that the premium water like Evian and Pellegrino are trash 

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Is this really the worst example of their "ugly" behavior?

There has to be more than trashing Evian and Pellegrino water . More information please!

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

No it’s example of what they were complaining, the ugly behavior it’s not to answer to good evening when you arrive to the dinner table

• Like 2

I would  not go as far as calling people "ugly", but, there are some pretty rude and obnoxious people in all walks of life, its not limited to people on cruises.

We encountered a couple seated directly to our rear in the MDR last year who were rude and racist, abusing the staff verbally and and making disparaging comments concerning their country of origin.

They were so loud that everyone near them complained to the maitre d, did not see them the next few evenings until near the end of the cruise they same couple were heard at an evening show heckling the entertainment.

So, what I'm saying is you will encounter all types, be patient and keep calm, karma !!!

6 hours ago, gerelmx said:

So glad it worked out for you.

Rude table mates can make a meal unpleasant. So why do it over again if it can be avoided.

Good for you to have the change made

Have a great vacation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If someone calls something that you may like 'trash' there is an inference that you are, at the least, stupid for buying it.

• Like 1