Who books a specific cabin?

Sailing with my younger daughter in recent years, we have chosen Oasis Class, Central Park Balconies, on Deck 10.  Deck 10 is the lowest CP balcony, and is easy to see into the Park while sitting on our balcony - great for people watching.  We also choose closer to aft elevators for easier access to main dining room.  The other important choice for us is to have the beds closer to the bathroom, and the open area in front of the couch closest to the balcony.  When checking out a new reservation, I make a list of the cabins in our prefered area that have the room layout we prefer.  Then I try to get one of those.

I'm the minority. We never chose our cabin because we don't spend much time at the cabin and never had a bad cabin until now, so we keep trusting our luck :classic_happy:...last year we only knew where were our cabins 2 days before our cruise while we were cruising aboard other ship :classic_biggrin: . We often have upgrades (last year from the cheapest interior to one cabin facing boardwalk, this year from the cheapest interior to a balcony cabin...). But I totally understand the ones who prefer a certainly kind of cabin :classic_happy:

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

What is the advantage to a "hump cabin" I've seeing mentioned frequently.

Larger than normal balconies.  For instance on Anthem cabins # 9650, 8650, 10650.  Opposite side 9250, 8250, etc.  

5 hours ago, Brooklyn Bridget said:

I have been trying to snag that cow cabin on Freedom class for a while.  Haven't succeeded yet.  Moooo 🐮

Good point. That is another specific stateroom number that we selected.  It's fun if you can get it sometime and has great perks.  We had it on Independence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nextcruise42 said:

Our first choice is always aft facing, followed by hump or cabin with larger balcony. Then I go through TA with my pick.  I have never been declined because of number in my party and room capacity. Is this something new.?

This is on the Freedom class and the Explorer class of ships.  Some of the balcony afts cabins are initially available for 3 passengers.   For example: 1388, 1688, 1390 and 1690 on the Explorer.  

Having once experienced the lowest interior cabin towards the very front of the ship, balcony right under a jogging deck and another balcony right under the pool deck I always pick my cabin and location. Depends on ship, location and where I think it won't be a mad house by the elevators 🙂

On 4/7/2019 at 12:54 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Within the last year. Most aft facing cabins will accommodate 3 or 4 passengers. RCI will no longer book only two people into them. If you book 3 just get the cabin and then cancel the third person at final payment, so as not have the additional expense, there is a chance that Royal will move you to a two person cabin so they can book three in the one you wanted.

I recently booked and aft cabin for my first solo cruise on Adventure, no problem at all.

After many years of cruising, we learned which cabins we prefer on the different classes of ships.  I always request what cabin we want at the time of booking.  We book 18-24 months out, so it's typically not a problem.  I also have a second and third choice ready in case my first choice is unavailable.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I recently booked and aft cabin for my first solo cruise on Adventure, no problem at all.

How far out is the cruise.  I was under the impression that that was only possible once inside the final payment window.

I think it's the JS Afts that need 3 or more people. We were onboard Oasis last April and looking to book Adventure  in a JS for this coming October and were told we could not book an Aft JS - had to settle for a side facing one, since we wanted the JS to jump us to D+. We've had no problems booking regular aft cabins.  Actually had an aft JS in 2015 on Adventure. Seems like another example of Royal's consistent inconsistency. 

• Like 1

We always know where we want to be...balcony, near the the elevator.  I always research before I email the travel agent, so she know exactly what I am looking for.  We have already booked our June 2020 cruise.  We booked within a couple days of the cruise being released because we wanted a 2 bedroom suite and there are not many of those.  I was able to tell the TA which cabin we wanted.  

We research the ship and try to locate on an upper deck near the elevators closest to the things we will most often walk to. We also research noise so we can enjoy a nap and my wife can go to bed early (LOL.  I stay out late.)

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

How far out is the cruise.  I was under the impression that that was only possible once inside the final payment window.

It varies by ship and sail date as to whether and when they open cabins that can hold 3 people or more for booking by a party of 2.  

We've always selected our own cabin, except one time when we rolled the dice on a suite guarantee, only because for the price we paid, we knew we'd be happy with whatever we got.  I think we ended up with a midship JS.  Probably won't do that again because I can't stand not knowing in advance...LOL.  

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It varies by ship and sail date as to whether and when they open cabins that can hold 3 people or more for booking by a party of 2.  

Is it something that you can only get by booking through a TA. Whenever I have looked on RC’s website for specific cabins that I wanted they always not been available unless I added a third person. 

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Is it something that you can only get by booking through a TA. Whenever I have looked on RC’s website for specific cabins that I wanted they always not been available unless I added a third person. 

Nope. TA’s Are faced with the same restrictions.  It just has to do with ship and sail date.  Most are restricted occupancy however there are still some sailings where Royal knows they won’t have many kids aboard and will not put the occupancy restriction in place.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:17 AM, orville99 said:

We generally book on board so we always try and get the same cabin. We used to try for the aft cabins (i.e. 1700 or 1702 on Freedom class) until RCL made those unbookable unless you had 4 passengers in them. Now we always book on the hump, and the only concession we make to "same cabin" is we like to switch between port and starboard from time to time.

Wait, what???? Is this true for all classes?

My big box warehouse club travel department's website lets me browse multiple cruise lines for a convenient cruise. Once I've picked the cruise, I can browse the deck plans and pick a cabin by location and price.

Always pick cabin with cabins above, below, and across the corridor and away from elevators and stairways. I also stay away from blank walls on the deck plan since it may be a scullery or mop closet across the corridor.

I then call the big box warehouse club travel department and have them mark my reservation "no upgrades" since a higher class of cabin may be right below the pool deck or above a boomety boomety night club venue.

Signed,

The Voice of Experience

I use an outside website that shows actual cabins, then I either book the cabin I want directly with next cruise, or call CS to set up if the RCI website does not show that cabin (explaining to them that I know that cabin is available).  Works for me, no problems.  

We always book location on ship instead of specific cabin.  I need to be in the middle of the ship because I am very sensitive to movement.  A few years ago we booked an aft cabin, and the view of the wake was beautiful, but we felt every ripple in the ocean, and I couldn’t sleep all week!😖

So far 3 cruises on Grandeur in the same cabin.  2 more booked in that same cabin. 😄

I HAVE to sail in that cabin, as I am programmed to go there.

Actually, this last cruise, was talking to couple in the CL, and mentioned this.  She laughed, and said that they had sailed twice in the same cabin, but this cruise was in the cabin next door.  She had already tried to get into the wrong (previous cruises) cabin. 😄

On our first cruise, we were upgraded to a forward, upper deck balcony on an Alaskan cruise.  We had awesome views, but it was too much movement for us - especially the night the waters were rough.  Over the years, we have also learned we prefer not to be underneath a public area where they move things around to clean at night, so low that you hear the engine and anchor when docking, or near elevators if sleeping in is a priority.  People sometimes forget that not everyone is awake at the same time they are!!! 😴💤

So, now we choose staterooms close to mid-ship on a deck, not too high, with only staterooms above and below, away from public areas and elevators.