Major Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

dkjretired

Just reporting for everyone and those going to Paris on cruises this year, that there is a major Fire going on right now at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.  Large portions of the roof have collapsed and a spire over the Cathedral collapsed on TV.  As someone who has been there, this is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world with major art and artifacts going back 1000 years.   On live TV now and the regular TV networks have cut in. 

Terrible accident.

Guessing with the cleaning solvents etc and work going on...

Reports are the entire wooden structure is destroyed.

Was there in late 96 (been few years) and that altar and carved biblical stories etc... so much art, the chapels, the canvases/paintings.. lots of fuel

What a shame

There are saying it took 2 hours for fire fighters to get there

Just heartbreaking....

Paris has seen too much sadness in recent years....

Truely one of those buildings that all those who have visited come away from with a sense of awe and wonder....

• Like 3

So sad... We are very fortunate to have visited the Cathedral in the past and watching it burn is just heartbreaking. The structure is built of 1,000 year old wood and trying to stop the destruction is impossible. 🙁

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

So sad... We are very fortunate to have visited the Cathedral in the past and watching it burn is just heartbreaking. The structure is built of 1,000 year old wood and trying to stop the destruction is impossible. 🙁

Yes, someone on the news said it was made with 52 acres of wood, 900 years old. 

Edited by dkjretired

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Most likely a construction incident...so sad!  I have also been there and am sad for Paris and the world!  Such a beautiful monument...

Based on what, exactly?  The fire isn’t even out, but you’ve determined the cause?  

The have been numerous attacks on churches in France this year - including arson.

7 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

Based on what, exactly?  The fire isn’t even out, but you’ve determined the cause?  

The have been numerous attacks on churches in France this year - including arson.

That is true about the desecration and vandalism of Catholic Churches there....I think it is too early to speculate the cause and hope that it was not arson.  It very well could have been something to do with the construction although, it's also very suspicious that the fire started minutes after it closed for the evening.  But again - we have no idea.  It is all very sad and heartbreaking.

52 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

Likely based on comments this afternoon by the Paris Fire Marshall, who said basically that they believe the most likely cause was the current restoration work. It started in the attic space, which was one of the reasons it could spread so quickly. Not everything is caused by some dastardly conspiracy.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

it's also very suspicious that the fire started minutes after it closed for the evening.  But again - we have no idea.  It is all very sad and heartbreaking.

It wasn't closed. It was closed to the general public (tourists), but a mass was in progress when the fire was discovered and some cathedral staff were still there. I would think your average arsonist would want a blaze to start when there was the least likelihood of it being detected early - like in the dead of night.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mom says said:

It wasn't closed. It was closed to the general public (tourists), but a mass was in progress when the fire was discovered and some cathedral staff were still there. I would think your average arsonist would want a blaze to start when there was the least likelihood of it being detected early - like in the dead of night.

I was unaware of the Mass schedule...looks like Vespers may have been going on with the Mass scheduled to take place at 6:15pm according to the Notre Dame website schedule.  You are correct that it may have been from the construction....was construction going on at that moment or had it ceased for the evening?  I'm not sure what the average arsonist would do.  Of course, with the renovation work going on - that would 'appear' to be the most likely cause - but, I don't think anyone actually knows at this point in time.  I think it is just way too early and that there will continue to be lots of speculating going on.   No matter the cause - still very sad.  

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Agreed. Or if it was terrorism they would have done it yesterday when tens of thousands went to worship. I am no expert for sure but this doesnt seem like arson or terrorism to me. Regardless. A sad day for France.

1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

I was unaware of the Mass schedule...looks like Vespers may have been going on with the Mass scheduled to take place at 6:15pm according to the Notre Dame website schedule.  You are correct that it may have been from the construction....was construction going on at that moment or had it ceased for the evening?  I'm not sure what the average arsonist would do.  Of course, with the renovation work going on - that would 'appear' to be the most likely cause - but, I don't think anyone actually knows at this point in time.  I think it is just way too early and that there will continue to be lots of speculating going on.   No matter the cause - still very sad.  

News reports said fire brigade was evacuating workers

I haven't heard they evacuated construction workers.  I've read a lot of articles and several that are conflicting with one even saying that no construction was actually taking place at the time.  I think it is too soon and every media outlet wants to be the first with information.  Just like with any fire - wait and see unless there was an actual eyewitness.  

So sad!  Had the privilege of seeing Notre Dame in 1985 with my college choir from Kenosha, WI.  We were invited up to the steps by the altar to sing several songs from our repertoire.  It was not a "concert", but just an opportunity to experience the wonderful acoustics.  It was wonderful to see the tourists all take a seat as we started to sing.  It was a dreary, gray January day, however when we reached the most beautiful part of one of the songs, the sun broke through and filled one of the rose windows with a terrific light and warmth....goosebumps!  I see that there is already talks of rebuilding.  This reminds me of St. John the Divine in New York City in 2001, only worse.  Again, a sad day 😞