Is "Adagio" still a featured music group?

BJzink

I haven't see anyone comment about the classical music duo (trio) lately.  That is my favorite group, don't have them on any other cruise line that I know of.  Would be sad to learn that they have been deleted along with some of my other favorite things.

HAL has pretty much replaced the casual Adagio event with a more formal "Lincoln Center Stage" classical event on board.  I personally liked Adagio as well, it was classy and casual.  Lincoln Center Stage is more like a concert with rows of seats, but still enjoyable.  I tended to sit just outside in another lounge and sip my cocktail or afternoon tea while listening. 

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

Adagio is currently performing on the Volendam every night.   A few fervent supporters  (maybe 50-60 people?) attend every night, but not many.   

Agree.  Certainly not the "standing room only" that the Lincoln Center group gets. Still, OK.  We were told HAL wants Lincoln Center groups on all the ships eventually.

It seems to me that Adagio is any threesome playing classical music on any HAL ship.   

It also seems like most other cruiselines have their version of Adagios too.

I'd also like to remind everybody (again) that times are changing .    I've heard "Adagios" on other ships play U2 songs and I actually one heard a version of "Smoke on the Water".   My mothers favorite song.

Adagio used to consist of four members and, for the most part, those musicians hailed from Eastern European countries, i.e. Hungary, Poland and the Ukraine. Some four to five years ago, HAL (guess who) made the decision to cut Adagio back to two musicians, some of whom can still be found on some of the "S" and "R"-class ships 

• Like 1

In the glory days of HAL cruising (for us) 10 to 15 years ago,   you could find the most talented trio of Filipino musicians who would serenade the MDR guests, while dining.  I remember them mostly from the west coast sailings.

They could play anything from Greensleeves to the Devil went down to Georgia.

Where are they now?

Still I give it up to the Adagio players everywhere I see them play.   

Edited by JRG

DW and I were fond of the Adagio Strings (which is a blanket name covering any group of string instruments performing classical music in a lounge (usually the Explorers Lounge, if I recall) on the way to dinner. On our recent Kdam cruise we encountered the Lincoln Center Stage, which was a quintet (two violins, one viola, one cello, and a grand piano). Their repertoire ranged from serious classics to light classics to film scores. They performed in an open concert venue that was used in the evening hours by the BB King jazz club. They are vetted by Lincoln Center in NYC and are top-notch. The caliber far exceeded the standard of the Adagio Strings.

• Like 2

Before we had Adagio  Strings or Adagio we had Philippine group, whose name escapes me at the moment.  I have also experienced the Lincoln Center people.  I personally  liked the Adagio Strings best of all. 

3 hours ago, Himself said:

Before we had Adagio  Strings or Adagio we had Philippine group, whose name escapes me at the moment.  I have also experienced the Lincoln Center people.  I personally  liked the Adagio Strings best of all. 

They (the Filipino trio performing in the Ocean Bar) were known as the Rosario Strings. There were some other Filipino bands like Crossover, Sea Breeze and the Basul Trio. They were all replaced around 2009 by the Neptunes trio (not a Filipino band) on the smaller ships; I know Amsterdam still has an Ocean Bar trio

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

They (the Filipino trio performing in the Ocean Bar) were known as the Rosario Strings. There were some other Filipino bands like Crossover, Sea Breeze and the Basul Trio. They were all replaced around 2009 by the Neptunes trio (not a Filipino band) on the smaller ships; I know Amsterdam still has an Ocean Bar trio

And the Volendam still had a trio in February.  They started playing at approx 5 pm, if I recall correctly, and alternated sets with a solo piano player.  Both were quite popular and often played later than The Mix pianist who went to bed around 11 pm on a lot of nights.

Edited by taxmantoo

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:17 AM, Copper10-8 said:

The ROSARIO STRINGS performed in the Explorers Lounge

Adagio performed on Zaandam this week, Boston to Montreal ( turned into just Quebec City due to flooding) but there were just two guys, cousins, piano and violin, both talented and enjoyable.  They to 20-30 people on average each concert ( would do three 45 minute  performances on one day and then have the next day off) not counting the walk-bys. Played more popular tunes than classical ( I would have preferred more classical)  but was still enjoyable.  Did not use notes, all was memorized.  I found it odd that some pax would sit close to the stage area and read the NYT, even though the venue was set up with chairs in rows, like in a chamber music area where you give full attention to musicians, rather than like a lounge where you are ok to talk and read.

One Adagio show I went to it was just the pianist playing dreamy  music solo, as the violinist has been in the prior stage show and presumably needed a break. 

On 4/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, Petronillus said:

DW and I were fond of the Adagio Strings (which is a blanket name covering any group of string instruments performing classical music in a lounge (usually the Explorers Lounge, if I recall) on the way to dinner. On our recent Kdam cruise we encountered the Lincoln Center Stage, which was a quintet (two violins, one viola, one cello, and a grand piano). Their repertoire ranged from serious classics to light classics to film scores. They performed in an open concert venue that was used in the evening hours by the BB King jazz club. They are vetted by Lincoln Center in NYC and are top-notch. The caliber far exceeded the standard of the Adagio Strings.

I agree. Their sets provide a good variety of styles appropriate for a general audience. And they also do classical recitals with one or two of the musicians doing more serious and sometimes lesser-known classical pieces. 

My only complaint was that their sets were all squished into early time periods (5:00, 6:00, 7:00) in order to give prime time to BB King. I had early fixed dining, and it was difficult to get to their performances. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:57 PM, erewhon said:

When we first started cruising Adagio used to play during meal sittings in MDR. Times change.

I remember that. But unless your table was nearby, you couldn't hear them. On one cruise they were amplified, but it was so soft it could have been any "canned" background music.

I liked the Rosario Stings, I loved the Adagio  Strings and Adagio I did not like as much.  I was recently on the Nieuw Statendam and my problem with Lincoln Center Stage was they shared the space with Blues group and Lincoln Center is finished rsther early.  This was not true on the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam where Lincoln enter had its own dedicated Space in the former Explorers Lounge/ 

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I liked the Rosario Stings, I loved the Adagio  Strings and Adagio I did not like as much.  I was recently on the Nieuw Statendam and my problem with Lincoln Center Stage was they shared the space with Blues group and Lincoln Center is finished rsther early.  This was not true on the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam where Lincoln enter had its own dedicated Space in the former Explorers Lounge/ 

Lincoln Center originally had its own space on the K'dam, and the schedule wasn't all early performances.  However,  it was so open to the walkway that there were issues with background noise. (They had to station someone outside with a "quiet please" sign. Plus, there was less space. For performance value, the move was a good thing. For timing, it's terrible. 

For anyone who has been on a Vista, where does Lincoln Center perform?

Dick Rosario and his electric violin.  I loved the sound of his violin, it was so pure.  They were such a talented group, I'm glad I have their CD. Last time I heard them was on Amsterdam in 2009, Panama Canal.  

PC040096.JPG