Is Celebrity too cheap to spring for a closer dock?

quack2

I will be in Juneau in mid-June.  Three ships in port that day.  Yet Celebrity Millenium will be parked at AJ Dock, the further dock, and a rather long walk from the rest of the Juneau attractions.  Is there some reason Celebrity doesn't park at one of the more central docks?

10 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I will be in Juneau in mid-June.  Three ships in port that day.  Yet Celebrity Millenium will be parked at AJ Dock, the further dock, and a rather long walk from the rest of the Juneau attractions.  Is there some reason Celebrity doesn't park at one of the more central docks?

Probably has nothing to do with money since if I remember they do provide a shuttle service which costs them quite a bit. Agree with Florence.

Edited by dkjretired

We were in Juneau on the Millie this past August and we docked at "E".  We were the first to arrive but don't know if that had anything to do with it.   Princess, Crystal, and RCI had ships in that day.

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

Probably has nothing to do with money since if I remember they do provide a shuttle service which costs them quite a bit.

It's a customer pays shuttle if I remember correctly. 

9 minutes ago, quack2 said:

We did Alaska with NCL because Celebrity didn't do Glacier Bay.  Our ship was parked at the carter dock.  It wasn't a problem for us.  We did a bit of walking and shopping after our private tour.  The town is not large and we were still docked in the town.

4 minutes ago, quack2 said:

It's a customer pays shuttle if I remember correctly. 

You are correct.  Cruisers pay at the booth after leaving the ship.  It is a long walk, especially in the rain.  I think it was $5 per person which is round trip.

Edited by keesar

On one of our Alaska cruises we both docked and tendered. We traded places with another ship mid day. Wasn't a real problem the docking area is relatively small and can only accommodate a few ships. The bay is relatively protected so the tender ride was smooth even in the normal light rain.

Alaska is worth a tender ride now and then....think Sitka!

I've generally seen tendering in Ketchikan when the docks are full...

It could also happen in Sitka if the docks are full...

I've spent quite a bit of time in Juneau for work & I don't think I've ever seen tendering there...

Enjoy your trip to our Amazing State!!!

• Thanks 1

I have visited Alaska on Celebrity more than 7 times (I've lost count).  In Juneau I've tendered (once), and docked at each of the locations.  It depends on what ships are in port that day (might also depend on who has priority, if anyone - not sure of that part).

And to those who feel the need to correct the OP about the term 'park' - why do you need to be so snarky?  We're here to help people and provide input on our Celebrity experiences and ask for help if needed.  Stop hiding behind obscured user names to troll people - geez.  Would you be that rude face to face I wonder???

• Like 3

In 2015 the Solstice had to tender every other week in Juneau, do to the number of ships in port. Didn''t really bother us much. Very short ride, we didn't have any plans except for the Mount Roberts Tramway. 

We are doing a back to back Alaska cruise next month.  On the way up, we get to have the closest dock to downtown.  On the way back, we will be at the AJ dock (farthest). We’ll rent a car that day since it is close to the car lots.  We also will be docked at different docks in Skagway and Ketchikan.  There must be a dock rotation set to be fair to all the cruise lines.

17 hours ago, quack2 said:

Maybe it has something to do with the Infinity hitting the dock in Ketchikan.  

7 hours ago, Von & John said:

I've generally seen tendering in Ketchikan when the docks are full...

It could also happen in Sitka if the docks are full...

I've spent quite a bit of time in Juneau for work & I don't think I've ever seen tendering there...

Enjoy your trip to our Amazing State!!!

We tendered from the Solstice in Juneau a couple of years ago. It was a nightmare. We didn't get there till noon and it was almost 3 before we got to the dock due to the size of Solstice. 

• Like 1

Getting this back on topic.

Someone mention Princess and Holland America.  They have been sailing Alaska for years and years before other cruise lines expanded into the market, so that may be one reason why they get closer docks.

Having never sailed on an Alaska cruise so obviously don't know how the docks are laid out, another possibility is the size and/or the time they want to arrive and depart.  I know at some ports it is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle.

This is pure speculation on my part.

If you look at the whole summer, it isn’t that simple. The northbound trips the have the closest dock to the city.  Norwegian has the least desirable one.  They are docking with HAL and Princess also.

Southbound, the southernmost.  Worse than princess and RC.

Can’t guess why.

It's my understanding that the port authorities assign docking, based on a large number of variables: which include time of arrival, size of ship, duration of stay, tides and maybe preference based on contract.

That said, to answer the original poster, I doubt it has to do with any port fees paid by the lines.

I also understand that many people, including ourselves, are not mobility impaired or restricted, so the extra 1/4 mile or so is just a bit more exercise on the day and it really doesn't matter where the ship is parked (docked). We do, however, recognize that many people are mobility impaired or have severe physical limitations and have difficulty just getting off the ship and to a mode of transport. Thus, the extra 1/4 mile would be a burden.

Celebrity does not go out of their way to save money on port fees, and conversely, they make every effort to help those who need it to get into port for the day.

I hope this makes a bit of sense. If not, kindly send me a message to clarify.