this is a first I am too old for this excursion

5 minutes ago, jdechter said:

Tried to Book Tabyana Lunch and Snorkel with RCL but we are not eligible because we are over 65! Well, I never!!

Hmm have to find a way around this.

Have you checked out snorkel expeditions for this port, over on the Ports of Call board?

I just checked my Roatan excursion options and the only Tabyana beach with snorkel is "TABYANA BEACH SNORKEL AND LUNCH."   It just shows a minimum age of 12 years.  Is the one you're trying to book different, or did you get the maximum age when trying to book?

I was in Roatan a couple weeks ago and did Bananarama from the Navigator. I'd do it again, even though Tabyana is a little closer to where I like to snorkel.

Have had this happen when trying to book snorkeling excursions on Carnival too. Makes me really mad because I can still book ATV (which I did) and off-road jeep (which I did) and ziplining (which I do). Just did skydiving last year too. What's with snorkeling that is so dangerous to older adults--not unfit, just older! Probably more fit than most.

• Like 1

There's a place on the beach at Tabyana that rents snorkel equipment if you decide to book just the beach excursion or go with Bananarama.  There are also guides who have floating rings to take you on a private "excursion" (also down by Tabyana).  I've done that twice, and it's awesome!  The first time, I'd planned to snorkel alone (I was traveling solo) but finally decided to go with the guide as was glad I did.

When I went to Bananarama, I got their beach and welcome drink package, so didn't try their snorkel option.  I envisioned a watered down drink, but it wasn't at all.  We had a nice shady spot (there was lots of sun available too), and we walked down the beach near Tabyana to snorkel - once with the guide and once without.  

Typing this is making me miss Roatan!!!

57 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

...  What's with snorkeling that is so dangerous to older adults--not unfit, just older! Probably more fit than most.

It's all about the liability insurance.

35 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It's all about the liability insurance.

Personal travel insurance also - most companies I have looked at don't insure for  zip lining, sky diving etc . Make sure you are covered especially in a foreign country  before choosing some activities.

• Thanks 1

I can understand having waivers, warnings, etc. but a blanket rule against snorkeling (of all things) over 65 seems crazy to me.  Maybe on the first sea day they just need to have a little fitness test like walking up a dozen decks.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barb65 said:

I'll be 78 in a few weeks and booked parasailing on our next cruise. Apparently they don't consider parasailing as dangerous as snorkeling.😊

Good for you. I am in my 70s and plan to continue doing this sort of thing for a long time.

It’s interesting that the only place I have seen the age restriction is snorkeling. I recently completed a warrior dash (obstacle course run on a ski slope in 100 degree weather), coming in second place for my age group (old women) and beating 60% of all entrants (mostly under age 40) but can’t be trusted to snorkel with a guide 10 feet away.

You need to sign a waiver for most any physical excursion so I just don’t get it. On the other hand, I have never been asked to prove my age once at the excursion.

Yup.  We are having problems with age limits as well.  Several companies sell third party excursions (shoreexcursioneer, shoreexcursiongroup ...) that may be identical to what you are looking at.  Often cheaper, too.  Tabyana is a common excursion.

• Like 1

I think insurance for the excursions is probably the reason, as mentioned by someone above. For all the 75 year olds who are hale and hearty, there are also some who will try something they shouldn't, but an insurance company is not likely going to let the excursion crew make health assessments. A flat age restriction at 65 is no doubt the cheapest insurance option. 

I have seen snorkel and dive waivers for diabetes, but also have seen notices flat-out barring diabetics due to the risk of hypoglycemia and resultant disorientation, etc. My blood sugar issues don't include that particular risk, but it doesn't matter--barred from those anyway. (Doctor said ignore them!)

Sucks!

Edited by mayleeman

11 hours ago, RW_MI said:

I can understand having waivers, warnings, etc. but a blanket rule against snorkeling (of all things) over 65 seems crazy to me.  Maybe on the first sea day they just need to have a little fitness test like walking up a dozen decks.  

Or maybe just ban anyone over 65 from the pools and hot tubs.

STUPID rule. 

Hmm, US departure and arrival, age discrimination?  Legal recourse? 😄

• Like 2

Wow, that seems really discriminatory. I'm almost 70 & am more fit then lot of people in their 40's & 50's.  Go to the gym every

day.  Do strength training 3x week & cardio every day.  Just ran a 5 K with my granddaughter for Girls on the Run.  I don't think

it should be a blanket cut off IMO.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Or maybe just ban anyone over 65 from the pools and hot tubs.

STUPID rule. 

Hmm, US departure and arrival, age discrimination?  Legal recourse? 😄

I agree—stupid rule. But I don’t think it is the cruise line as on the same cruise, some snorkel excursions will have an age limit and others will not. So the same one done privately will have the same restrictions. But you may be able to fine others that do not.