Alaska in September

hawkeye65

We're a party of 5 booked on the very last 2019 Alaska cruise out of Seattle on Oosterdam. (There were scheduling conflicts that made an earlier cruise impossible.) Can someone(s) tell me how diminished the shore offerings are that late? For example: We did an Alaska cruise in mid-August on Celebrity in 2004. Lots and lots of shore excursion opportunities right on the dock. Will they all be gone the end of Sept? Will Creek Street in Ketchikan be shut down for the winter? That kind of info.

TIA.

My first Alaska cruise isn't until next year, so I have no personal experience on which to draw, but it's at the end of August, so I've been checking on the availability of shore excursions that take advance bookings, using this year's schedule. Here are a few:

Ketchikan - Island Wings - some tours including Traitors Cove offered until September 30.

Juneau - Gastineau Guiding - primarily a contractor for the cruise lines, so if you line uses them, they should be operating.

Juneau - Jayleen's Alaska - seems to be the same as the cruise lines.

Icy Strait Point - Glacier Wind - until September 19.

Skagway - Chilkoot Charters & Tours - until September 26.

Skagway - White Pass & Yukon Railway - Bennett Lake/Carcross until September 14, Summit until October 3 (some exceptions).

Seward - Major Marine - Some tours end at the beginning of September, but others, such as the six-hour Kenai Fjords tour,  run until September 22.

We almost always go to Alaska in September, once near the very end but usually towards the very beginning.  What a difference in the weather that we experienced ... however, not enough to keep us from going again at the end of Sept.  As a matter of fact, to this day, that was one of my most memorable and favorite sailings.  

If the weather is really bad, even if they have tours, they could be canceled once you got there.  We experienced 100 MPH winds ... so you won't be taking any tours in those conditions.  There were still plenty of sight seeing right from the comfort of the ship during this, though.  

In Ketchikan, there were 6 cruiseships in town and it was pouring down rain ... and the shops on Creek Street were still open.  As a matter of fact, the shop owners thanked us for braving the downpours and coming in as they had just a small number of people that made their way into the shops.  

In Juneau, there were still some kiosks open to sell tours, albeit, a lot of them were boarded up for the season.  

Skagway seemed to have pretty much everything open and no noticeable difference in tours.  

Layer clothing and take a lot of waterproof clothing and you should be fine.  It is kind of nice not having to fight your way through the crowds.  

We have completed 13 Alaska cruises, our 14th will be next month.  One of those cruises was in Sept.  We were thinking how great it would be as the kids wound be back in school.

The weather was just miserable with hard blowing rain, the kind that turns your umbrella inside out.  The majority of passengers did not get off at some ports. Shore excursions cancelled either due to rain or fog.  Dark grey days. We spent very little time on our balcony.

Never again!

I was on the last Alaska cruise of the season once, and found all the shops still open. As long as there's a nickel to be made, the vendors will be selling.
Maybe I was just fortunate, but the weather wasn't bad my year. Lightening might strike twice for you!

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I was on the last Alaska cruise of the season once, and found all the shops still open. As long as there's a nickel to be made, the vendors will be selling.
Maybe I was just fortunate, but the weather wasn't bad my year. Lightening might strike twice for you!

We did a mid-September cruise one time and found sale prices everywhere. The next AK cruise was in May--definitely more snow on the mountains and fewer sale prices, and the next one booked is early September 2020. And the weather, while not clear blue skies and warm temperatures, was very acceptable.  On the other hand we do live in the Pacific NW between Portland OR and Seattle, so it was much like home weather wise.

• Like 1

We've done the first run in the spring and the last run in September -- enjoyed both immensely.  Creek Street was active and the end of the salmon run was apparent there in the creek.

I think if there was an excursion I really wanted to do, I'd book through the cruise line, as operations are definitely pared down as the student summer help heads back to school.  Still, plenty to see and enjoy -- and fun to hear the excitement of the locals as they discuss their winter plans.  I guess only the hardy "overwinter."

I've done Alaska in September twice. The first time we had sunshine all the way until we got to Ketchikan, our last stop. The weather was so good I was reluctant to go again, figuring it couldn't happen again and I'd be whining about how it was better the first time. The second time, we had clouds and/or drizzle nearly the whole trip, but it was still great. It was interesting to see glaciers under different conditions. Like oceanmom, I found good sale prices in the souvenir shops the time we were on the last week for Alaska cruises. 

The Creek in Ketchikan is fabulous in September, just teeming with salmon. On the first trip, we stood and watched a little pool full of salmon. All was calm until someone got a little to close to someone else, and then the water would just boil with fish jumping and thrashing around. On the second trip, we saw a seal in the creek, looking to have salmon for lunch. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

Our 1st cruise was to Alaska - the last cruise of the season.  We lived in polar fleece & rain gear.  Did the excursions we had planned, albeit in the rain & cold.  Had a friend who did the same cruise, same week the next year & she got sunburned....

Waited a few years to cruise again but since then we've only done warm weather locations....I would like to try Alaska again but I think we'd pick a warmer month than mid-September.

We've cruised Alaska in September with good results. Altogether a very pleasant cruise. Lots of discounts, variable weather....as always....We'd do it again without hesitation.

I hope you go and have a great time. Enjoy !!!

We have been to Alaska several time in Sept including the last HAL cruise of their season.  Never had an issue with tours, but have seen some of the smaller shops closed up for the season.

17 hours ago, hawkeye65 said:

We're a party of 5 booked on the very last 2019 Alaska cruise out of Seattle on Oosterdam. (There were scheduling conflicts that made an earlier cruise impossible.) Can someone(s) tell me how diminished the shore offerings are that late? For example: We did an Alaska cruise in mid-August on Celebrity in 2004. Lots and lots of shore excursion opportunities right on the dock. Will they all be gone the end of Sept? Will Creek Street in Ketchikan be shut down for the winter? That kind of info.

TIA.

No.... the dock will be host to lots of stuff    September is the very best time  few kids if any and best weather, and glacier access.   Frost frost will have killed off the bugs  so it get  even better.   It may sound  funny but late August sept  is usually the best for wild flowers and wild life as it is VERY active prior to winter       ( Winter... Mid October to  mid May) 

11133782_1423839421267282_6387602965304678504_n.jpg

2 hours ago, teacherman said:

We did it the last cruise of the year.  We rented a car in Skagway (rent early) and drove into the Yukon.  Absolutely beautiful with the trees changing colors.

The views from the train in Skagway are surreal in September with early fog and changing colors:

image.png.af0c63d5e1612e023062d7ab91aea84c.png