Say It Isn't So!

nukesubsailor

I was told that there was a post on some Facebook forum for Princess Elites that said Princess was going to discontinue serving escargot and use shrimp instead.

First they quit offering the wild berry cobbler in the Crown Grill.  Then they start charging extra for lobster tails about the size of Texas crawfish.  

What will be next-----replacing the traditional dining room with a McDonalds???????

2 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

I was told that there was a post on some Facebook forum for Princess Elites that said Princess was going to discontinue serving escargot and use shrimp instead.

First they quit offering the wild berry cobbler in the Crown Grill.  Then they start charging extra for lobster tails about the size of Texas crawfish.  

What will be next-----replacing the traditional dining room with a McDonalds???????

On our Apr. TA cruise, did not get escargot.  Now I know why.

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

Spent three escargot-less weeks on the Royal last month.  It wasn't even available by special request. 

Too bad was hoping to have it once on our 15 day Hawaii trip in October

5 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

I'm hoping they bring them back.  Others have reported that they are still being served on some ships.  

We will be on the Star (club class) can only hope

• Like 1

I always order the escargot when offered on the menu. On one cruise, it did not appear on the menu, but our waiter said it was available as a special. I'll find out in a couple of weeks if it appears on the Island Princess menu.

3 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

If they use shrimp in the garlic butter I would like that - can't think about eating snails - I've seen too many slugs crawling around.  We were served escargot at a friend's house - that's when I found out they can be swallowed whole.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I saw a few articles from January 2019 stating there is a world wide escargot shortage. Hopefully it’s just temporary. Perhaps those ships still serving have them in stock, but they are unable to replenish?

• Like 1

They offered it on our 10 day Grand Princess Mexican Riviera cruise in March which was the first one after dry dock.  As a B2B we took the California Coastal 7 day cruise next, and there was no escargot.  Maybe it depends on the length of the cruise.

8 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Quit your bellyachin’ and be glad we aren’t stuck with bug juice and cold midrats. Lol

Dave T MM1(SS)

• Like 1

When we were on the Emerald in Dec., our headwaiter said that he predicts that soon there will be a charge for eating in the MDR, and the cruise fare will just include the buffet.  He blamed it on the high cost of passengers "taking advantage."  That would be even worse than no lobster and escargot.  But I do agree that Princess has definitely been cutting back on a lot of things.  The whole menu is a shell of what it used to be.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, apeller said:

When we were on the Emerald in Dec., our headwaiter said that he predicts that soon there will be a charge for eating in the MDR, and the cruise fare will just include the buffet.  He blamed it on the high cost of passengers "taking advantage."  That would be even worse than no lobster and escargot.  But I do agree that Princess has definitely been cutting back on a lot of things.  The whole menu is a shell of what it used to be.

Yeah and they won’t take advantage if the buffet will they😳😱🤪

9 minutes ago, apeller said:

"Taking advantage" of what? The fact that eating in the MDR is included in the fare? His perspective seems very odd to me. Certainly not what I would expect from an employee to a pax.

I do agree the menu has been disappointing at times.

44 minutes ago, apeller said:

When we were on the Emerald in Dec., our headwaiter said that he predicts that soon there will be a charge for eating in the MDR...

In some sense, they have already started. Club Class was a clever way to get people to pay extra for something that they used to get included in their fare. You get the same wait staff every night...just like Traditional Dining. You don’t have to wait in line for a table to open up...just like TD. Yes, you do get an extra menu option or two. But still...

In the future, they could break cabin classes into “MDR eligible” and others that are “Buffet only”. Obviously the former would be more expensive. Just like Club Class cabins are now. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

7 hours ago, memoak said:

We will be on the Star (club class) can only hope

We were on the Star last month and had Club Class dinning. No go on the escargot on our cruise I’m afraid. They only had the shrimp alternative available, so I passed.

On the Grand about two weeks ago our waiters were pushing the “shrimpcargot”. Shrimp in the little escargot dishes with the melted butter. I say pushing because we didn’t want another course. (A couple of years ago the escargot’s butter gave me a serious burn). This offered dish was not in-lieu of another starter. They were giving it to everyone.   The waiters kept saying that the chef was being creative as the escargot didn’t arrive. 

We were at a table for 8 on one cruise and were the only folks to order the escargot. The others all kind of cringed and shuddered at the thought. We were surprised but if you haven't tried escargot and only know what it is I guess it could be easy to go "ick!". I wondered about it the first time but tried it anyway and found it was great. Of course one should use a bit of the rolls to soak up the extra stuff. 😁

• Like 2