Why does Celebrity Website suck?

mosleyman

It drives me absolutely insane that I can't CTRL+Click on a cruise to have the info for that cruise open in another tab or SHIFT+click to open in a new window. That's pretty standard on websites. But when you try it on the Celebrity site, it just opens in the current browser tab so that to go back, I think end up back at the beginning of the search and have to scroll through the options. I can't open two or more cruises to go back and forth between them and compare itineraries, prices for the cabins I want, etc. But at least they have itinerary maps (although I don't need all that fancy animation). I was trying to find a map on an RCCL cruise recently and couldn't find a map for the life of me.

A few years back Bimmer wrote a cruise review and he relayed that during a presentation by the captain, the captain asked the audience if they knew what Celebrity does with all of the garbage it generates and someone from the audience yelled out “Make a website out of it.”

My perspective is the Celebrity website has improved and is more useful. At times, It does get hung up when I start a search and just keeps rolling through and not displaying anything. But I have more success than in the past, and it seems to be about the same as so many other Cruise Lines, and even general cruise search tools. More than a few of those give a great looking price, I go to the particulars and it show the cruise is not available at that price. Bait and Switch? And many of the cruise lines require you to call them or send an email to get anything beyond superficial info. 

This sounds like an ad for CruiseCritic, but I find this website for searching for cruises to be one of the best. My favorite tool on CC ‘Find a Cruise’ is an extended list of port calls that you can select and it shows the cruises stopping there. Most cruise websites just list departure ports. This allows you do an extensive search. Example: I Love Valletta Malta and did a search based on that. It shows 9 pages of options. 

Just use the Advance Search tool.  

And Yes, I’m a Cruise Critic/Celebrity/Viking River Cruise/Malta/Dublin/Prague/Amsterdam UnPaid Cheerleader-Huckster-Hawker-Booster! 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...

Found this old thread, and am very disappointed to report that the Celebrity Cruises' website still sucks. It may be the worst consumer portal I've used in the past 5 years (except perhaps for its eerily similar sister website, Royal Caribbean International).

As of a few days ago, the Celebrity website has stopped working in Chrome entirely. It barely functions in Firefox, and works a little better in Safari (when it's working at all). How a company this large can have such a joke of an order and information system is beyond me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichardRahl said:

Found this old thread, and am very disappointed to report that the Celebrity Cruises' website still sucks. It may be the worst consumer portal I've used in the past 5 years (except perhaps for its eerily similar sister website, Royal Caribbean International).

Have you tried Holland America’s web site?  It’s horrific. 

37 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We try to be amused rather than annoyed with the website...doesn’t help you book a cruise, check cruises booked, book an excursion etc but it does keep your sanity!

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I can do all of those things on Celebrity’s site. 

• Like 3

I know this has been hashed and rehashed to death, but I couldn't agree more. I was just on the website again last night, and it's such a frustrating experience every single time. Difficult to find things or to navigate back to things you looked at previously. And what's with the damned 20 minute lockout feature! We've been told it's for "security reasons", but no one could explain exactly what the security threat is it's designed to thwart and how it accomplishes that. The App is better than it once was, but still pretty useless (although the door unlock worked when I left my key card in my book by the pool). I want to know who named it a "Gold Award Website". That little gem seems to pop up when I'm at the peak of my frustration.  😬 As someone else said, thankfully Celebrity offers a wonderful product onboard. 👍

Celebrity's web site still sucks!

After 18 long months of this pandemic, the world is truly getting back to normal.😉

Now let's all start singing Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life"  🎶

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2019 at 12:00 PM, mosleyman said:

Is it just me ...why do I have such a hard time with their website?

It is absolutely the worst site that I have experienced in trying to get anything done.   I try to search for excursions and it does not bring me to excursion...I am now on the phone with them...what a waste of time.

No issues for me…seems to work fine

• Like 3

It’s a little clunky on the laptop, but I can get to the excursions through the cruise planner.

However, if I try to access shore excursions on the website using my phone, nope!  I log in,  click “Book Shore Excursions,” and it takes me back to the exact same page.  Very frustrating, as I’d like my husband to check out excursions for our upcoming cruise and he hates to use the laptop—he wants to use his phone.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, mosleyman said:

Is it just me ...why do I have such a hard time with their website?

It is absolutely the worst site that I have experienced in trying to get anything done.   I try to search for excursions and it does not bring me to excursion...I am now on the phone with them...what a waste of time.

The shore excursion tool is the worst, absolutely agree. When I hit the back button, I am expecting to be on my last page, not a complete reset each and every time. Definitely needs to get fixed/enhanced.

30 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The shore excursion tool is the worst, absolutely agree. When I hit the back button, I am expecting to be on my last page, not a complete reset each and every time. Definitely needs to get fixed/enhanced.

While I find most of the site usable, I agree that the shore excursion tool is horrible.  Yesterday, I had that same exact experience you describe.  I was trying to look at the shorex for our upcoming cruise, port by port.  But when I pulled up the list of excursions for a specific port, clicked on one to view the details, and then wanted to go back to the prior page (the list of excursions for that port), I could not -- I was defaulted to the "all" ports shorex page.  This happened whether I used the back arrow in my browser, or the shorex tab in Cruise Planner.   Really does need to be fixed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

While I find most of the site usable, I agree that the shore excursion tool is horrible.  Yesterday, I had that same exact experience you describe.  I was trying to look at the shorex for our upcoming cruise, port by port.  But when I pulled up the list of excursions for a specific port, clicked on one to view the details, and then wanted to go back to the prior page (the list of excursions for that port), I could not -- I was defaulted to the "all" ports shorex page.  This happened whether I used the back arrow in my browser, or the shorex tab in Cruise Planner.   Really does need to be fixed. 

This characteristic of their excursion site has pushed me over to using their brochure (https://www.celebritycruises.com/excursion-brochure/celebrity/) that's specific to my cruise. I typically save it as a PDF on my computer, read about the excursions at each port, then go back to the planner to purchase the specific excursion of interest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very poor  website..ongoing thru the yrs.  It was upgraded visually but functionality still off.  Example:.  I recall that to book mdr dinner res on EDGE,  dh had to go in and out and do each nite sep...or something that annoyed him as a ret programmer.

Glad my online shopping and health care websites work better!