What is a reasonable facsimile to Oceania?

Sopwith

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

For a lot of the itineraries its a little pricey, but we found a 10 day itinerary from Miami through the Caribbean a few years back that was reasonable. 

All Caribbean itineraries are “reasonably” priced by all cruise lines but I suspect it still wasn’t cheap.

If I am going to pay big bucks for Europa 2 it would have to be for a unique itinerary that nobody else does and not a Carib cruise.

JMO.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

If I am going to pay big bucks for Europa 2 it would have to be for a unique itinerary that nobody else does and not a Carib cruise.

And I agree with that. We mostly did it because we didn't know much about the onboard experience and haven't had any friends that had sailed her either. Most of the other itineraries are in the stratosphere so we wanted a first hand experience whether we would like it or not before we considered something else. It didn't disappoint-- the ship and onboard product are spectacular-- although we haven't found our way back aboard yet. Eyeing some 2020 itineraries, namely a January Valparaiso to Rio 20 day trip around Cape Horn which has always been a bucket list. 

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

And I agree with that. We mostly did it because we didn't know much about the onboard experience and haven't had any friends that had sailed her either. Most of the other itineraries are in the stratosphere so we wanted a first hand experience whether we would like it or not before we considered something else. It didn't disappoint-- the ship and onboard product are spectacular-- although we haven't found our way back aboard yet. Eyeing some 2020 itineraries, namely a January Valparaiso to Rio 20 day trip around Cape Horn which has always been a bucket list. 

I can see that - a good and relatively “inexpensive” way to find out how well you like the product and to see if you’re willing to spend the big bucks in the future for a bucket list cruise.

52 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

All Caribbean itineraries are “reasonably” priced by all cruise lines but I suspect it still wasn’t cheap.

JMO.

In trying to find a " substitute "  or co-equal to Oceania, or any product  it to first  define the parameters  

Size of ship, Variety of Cuisine, What is or not included, cost per person per day. features of cabin, size of cabin, demographic target market,        Establish a 1-10  factor for each item,  what you desire and what you experience

Break it down as fine as possible.   

Start with Oceania  and  create a  aggregate score for that.     Then, do the same for what you would want, that is it you found wanting .      You now have a personal  subjective/objective basis to which you can compare others

Remove emotion the numbers are all yours as are your wants and needs.  They will be 100% accurate as to your experience and wants.

No matter how I  or others suggest things, we are only really doing it from our personal perspective.  We can not get into your mind  and become you.    That is our limitation

Do not be insecure... you can make a better decision for your taste... just like food, friends, car, house..... Just because you get 20 well intention people all telling you  this  or that is better.. they are all telling you their experience  based on their own personal take... 

LudwigVonDrake.png.e875b7eb2c2de6cb2afdd537a10a0005.png   Nothing will be as good as you and your judgment no matter how much others rant and rave.

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

JMO.

I think that's an excellent point.  We're destination oriented so will pay for that.

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In trying to find a " substitute "  or co-equal to Oceania, or any product  it to first  define the parameters  

Size of ship, Variety of Cuisine, What is or not included, cost per person per day. features of cabin, size of cabin, demographic target market,        Establish a 1-10  factor for each item,  what you desire and what you experience

Break it down as fine as possible.   

Question: Do you ever take a cruise simply because you just want to and not because it fits some statistical picture?

10 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Question: Do you ever take a cruise simply because you just want to and not because it fits some statistical picture?

Sometimes we do.  Just booked the Carib. for Nov. just because we want to get away at that time.  Have been to most of those ports many times and have sailed Riviera many times.  Easy for us to drive to Miami and as you say just want to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

That's not the question.

The question was focused on the topic of what cruise lines are substitutes for Oceania. 

The question can not be answered objectively  un less one breaks down the  sub factors  that Oceania has and  then compared to "X"  or "Y".    You have to compare apples to apples if your comparing one to an other to be objective..

Emotion  is  not based on anything  but feeling.  which have no factual foundation  just reactions .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your selection of another cruise provider depends upon what your priorities are - it is not a one size fits all industry.

Like others, we would recommend Cunard.

We are just off QM2 from Hamburg to New York. Excellent experience and value. In our opinion overall as good as Oceania. All the Cunard ships provide an excellent product.

The service levels were the same as Oceania, the staff equally helpful, gracious, smiling etc. 

The food in the MDR on the QM2 was a tad below the MDR on my previous Oceania voyages.

But, their newish alternative dining venue and menu EXCEEDED any food I ate on Oceania. It was the best food on any cruise of our lives. They have multiple days of Coriander (Indian),  the Smokehouse (BBQ), Aztec (Mexican). OMG, the food had the most amazing taste, presentation exquisite, volume of food wow, the attentive service never experienced anything like this level of care. The cost $20 us per person - the best value at sea.

Many people in the grills were eating there and said they would no longer book the grills, they would do a regular balcony, do the MDR and eat at the alternative dining area - thereby saving many thousand of $.

Cunard is a line for intellectuals due to their outstanding provision of speakers (Crystal is equally good). There were speakers on the cold war, submarine technology, a former envoy working in Russia, and a person from the current US budget office speaking about the power of the president and a british actress speaking on the hidden gems of London.

Adding in the full promenade and all the other venues on the ship - amazing.

The guest relations staff were actually nice (unlike any other line we have sailed with) and the officers were friendly and stopped to chat (not at all like the frozen nasty officers on Oceania).

Hope this is food for thought.

• Like 2

I appreciate your effort and opinions on this, TBD, but somewhere around 80% of the people who read this would never consider Cunard from the word go because of their formal dress requirements.

Stan and I are a subset of that group in that we don't mind dressing up but thought that the dated shabby rags which some people wear to formal nights on  Cunard push the envelope to the point of mockery.

Yes, it is interesting to hear that this particular Tuxedo was a 17th birthday gift in 1970, but still.......😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising TBD said:

Your selection of another cruise provider depends upon what your priorities are - it is not a one size fits all industry.

Like others, we would recommend Cunard.

We are just off QM2 from Hamburg to New York. Excellent experience and value. In our opinion overall as good as Oceania. All the Cunard ships provide an excellent product.

The service levels were the same as Oceania, the staff equally helpful, gracious, smiling etc. 

The food in the MDR on the QM2 was a tad below the MDR on my previous Oceania voyages.

But, their newish alternative dining venue and menu EXCEEDED any food I ate on Oceania. It was the best food on any cruise of our lives. They have multiple days of Coriander (Indian),  the Smokehouse (BBQ), Aztec (Mexican). OMG, the food had the most amazing taste, presentation exquisite, volume of food wow, the attentive service never experienced anything like this level of care. The cost $20 us per person - the best value at sea.

Many people in the grills were eating there and said they would no longer book the grills, they would do a regular balcony, do the MDR and eat at the alternative dining area - thereby saving many thousand of $.

Cunard is a line for intellectuals due to their outstanding provision of speakers (Crystal is equally good). There were speakers on the cold war, submarine technology, a former envoy working in Russia, and a person from the current US budget office speaking about the power of the president and a british actress speaking on the hidden gems of London.

Adding in the full promenade and all the other venues on the ship - amazing.

The guest relations staff were actually nice (unlike any other line we have sailed with) and the officers were friendly and stopped to chat (not at all like the frozen nasty officers on Oceania).

Hope this is food for thought.

Thank you for your input. I have never cruised Cunard and had actually booked a Transatlantic NY to Southampton to start a land trip  in Europe next May. I cancelled and decided to fly instead, but may change my mind again. Will have to convince DH and ship back the formal wear because cannot hike in Switzerland wearing it 😉  

Edited by TrulyBlonde

We are turned off by the formal dress on Cunard.  Is there a lower class that would allow country club casual?   Not interested in their transatlantic but they have some interesting itineraries. 

We got interested in Crystal when they relaxed the dress code. 

For us Oceania remains the best fit.  But we enjoy trying new things.  

Regarding the formal dress on Cunard - it is much less in evidence than in the past.

Not that much more than Oceania country club casual. Jackets for men only in the MDR or Grills - in the many other alternative food venues no such requirement. Men generally wore the jacket into venues, took them off, put on to walk around. Saw lots of gentlemen having after dinner drinks, with jacket on side of chair.

Cunard is country club casual all day.

Thinking that if gentlemen brought a dark jacket that would be enough over a nice shirt, if you wish to eat in the MDR or Grills. So one item more than Oceania - but a whole new cruise line available for consideration.  

It was not a hardship at all folks.

Happy sailing on as many cruise lines as possible!

On 7/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, StanandJim said:

I appreciate your effort and opinions on this, TBD, but somewhere around 80% of the people who read this would never consider Cunard from the word go because of their formal dress requirements.

Correct.

Consider me part of a different subset of the 80% than S&J though: dressing up on vacation, for me, no longer makes it vacation. 

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

Correct.

Consider me part of a different subset of the 80% than S&J though: dressing up on vacation, for me, no longer makes it vacation. 

Although for me it is different. I live in workout clothes, ski clothes, etc. when at home here in the mountains of Colorado. Going on a cruise gives me the opportunity to bring out my pretty things, take down the ponytail, and I look forward to it. I also like seeing my handsome DH in a jacket. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

The reason I asked is because we have found a Celebrity sky suite is roughly about the same price as an Oceania Concierge balcony with a lot more perks (free gratuities, free internet for 2, $300 OBC and Premium Beverage package) and it also includes eating in the suite-class only Luminae restaurant and access to their Michaels private lounge. 

Take it

Janruz1

On 6/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, Hawaiidan said:

That's not the question.

The question was focused on the topic of what cruise lines are substitutes for Oceania. 

The question can not be answered objectively  un less one breaks down the  sub factors  that Oceania has and  then compared to "X"  or "Y".    You have to compare apples to apples if your comparing one to an other to be objective..

Emotion  is  not based on anything  but feeling.  which have no factual foundation  just reactions .

Oh my gosh Dan do you really go through all that to go on a trip..my next trip is my anniversary and the one after that leaves from LA..so I go on emotion and always have a great time..

Jancruz1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Take it

Janruz1

We have and are continually wowed with the high quality of food in the Luminae, the 3-4 trivias and 2-3 lectures on sea days, unlimited high quality internet for the both of us, and a very active assortment entertainment options has really pushed O down the list as reflected in our below booked future cruises.

Crystal, as I mentioned earlier, is also another high quality all-inclusive option (except for excursions) to Oceania; although I do need to bring a dark jacket for formal nights. 

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

do you really go through all that to go on a trip..

I don't necessarily do that for all of my vacations, but in this case - the OP is looking for a "facsimile" of Oceania, so it makes sense [to me, at least] to list what aspects of Oceania are important to OP and what other lines/ships might offer those aspects and then compare. For instance (using myself again) I ONLY want to be on a small ship. So Cunard (to ME) would not be a facsimile for Oceania because there are too many passengers. If passenger capacity isn't important to you, you might skip over that aspect.....We don't mind dressing up a little (Seabourn requiring a jacket for men on "formal" night is fine for us; packing a full tuxedo is not - unless my husband wears it every night - if we pack it, we wear it 😉 We all have different priorities. How else do you figure them out if you don't think about them?

And yes, I do make spreadsheets when I'm comparing - it's my money, I'd like to get the most out of it, so I want to know what I'm getting for it with each of my options. Doesn't mean I'm choosing the cheapest option. Just means I've looked at everything objectively. Once I know the facts - THEN I can let my emotion in 😉

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have and are continually wowed with the high quality of food in the Luminae, the 3-4 trivias and 2-3 lectures on sea days, unlimited high quality internet for the both of us, and a very active assortment entertainment options has really pushed O down the list as reflected in our below booked future cruises.

Crystal, as I mentioned earlier, is also another high quality all-inclusive option (except for excursions) to Oceania; although I do need to bring a dark jacket for formal nights. 

Glad you found your cruise line of choice - enjoy X.

Thank you for the Cunard recommendation. We have never sailed them so I’ll have to look for an itinerary that excites us. Oceania is so hit and miss with their enlightenment speakers. Some do a great job while others are just bad! Just 10-12 passengers show up by the 3rd lecture bad! Wish you had brought rotten fruit to throw at them bad. Just not a priority for O. 

I always bring a jacket to wear in the Specialties. It’s a comfortable insurance policy. Sometimes a venue can be like a meat locker and I’m glad to have it. If the venue is to warm, I can slip it off. My lovely bride always carries a sweater for the same reason.  I prefer not to wear a tuxedo, but it’s definitely not a deal breaker for me for what may other wise be a great cruise.

For S&J, if I could still get into the same tuxedo I wore at age 17, I’d be bragging about it likewise! 😂😂. Not going to happen!

• Like 2