Carnival's ports in DR ... how is Carnival handling this?

herb

Travel Advisory of DR from the U.S. Department of State:

Exercise increased caution in the Dominican Republic due to crime.

Violent crime, including armed robbery, homicide and sexual assault is a concern throughout the Dominican Republic. The development of a professional tourist police corps, institution of a 911 system in many parts of the country, and a concentration of resources in resort areas means these tend to be better policed than urban areas like Santo Domingo. The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality on the broader scale.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to the Dominican Republic:

• Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
  • Follow the advice of resort and tour operators regarding local safety and security concerns
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for the Dominican Republic.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.

Since Amber Cove is a self contained unit, Carnival might use the scare tactic of going off on your own to keep their pax inside the AC corral. Similar to how they try to guide pax to their approved shopping stores.

Carnival will probably advise bottled water only if off the ship in La Romana.

When tainted liquor was verified in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen last summer or the one before, I don't think Carnival changed any itineraries.  If there is ever a confirmed cause connecting the DR deaths, then perhaps La Romana might get dropped in favor of AC.

I wonder what posters on CC would think if they found out the actual number of deaths that happen annually on a ship?  I'll wager more folks have died aboard ship than on any particular land vacation.

Of course, I have a biased opinion.  As the news reports continue on this issue, I waited for price drops at some hotels I've already stayed at in Punta Cana.  Sure enough, I found a rate too good to pass up - 10 nights in a Punta Cana all adult AI, RT air, and airport round trip transfers for way less than a week long balcony would cost on the Horizon or Vista.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Lots of posts  on this topic in Dominican republic  board.

This far no cruisers affected.  And while as shocking  and disturbing  as these deaths have been , one must realize  that there are and have been thousands of tourists in the DR staying at these  places and not taken ill.

Poor response of DR Government and resort management hasn't helped either. 

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Cruisers are not likely to check into hotels when they have a cruise ship to get back to, and the FBI is investigating and likely has lots of evidence. Now to wait for toxicology reports. I suspect some of the deaths are unrelated and hysterics on the part of a few don't help the situation.

Carnival is handling the situation exactly how they should. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Herb! I've got no info for you but just wanted to say hello. Hope all is well with you and the family.:classic_cool:

Hi Jeff...

Nice to "see" you again after a long time. Still keep in touch with a whole bunch of past C@ posters on FB. I'm leaving on the Sunrise in August and of course all this nonsense in the DR has garnered my attention. I'll be sailing with a group of approx. 40 people; friends and family.

I originally did not want to go since my wife JoAnn passed away suddenly last August and this will be my first vacation in 38 years without her. Everyone talked me into going so I'll try to make the best of it. Hope all is well with you...

SInce Amber Cove opened does Carnival or any of their 9 associated cruise lines even dock at La Romana anymore?

It would be nice to reassure everyone that Amber Cove is over 4 hours away from Punta Cana where most of these unfortunate deaths and severe gastro-illness have happened, but in the long run since this is an island there is a chance that some of the businesses at  Amber Cove and Puerto Plata could be supplied by the same wholesalers as the resorts being investigated. 

For those that are worried my advice would be to bring canned or bottled beverages off the ship. On most islands there is no restrictions on taking bottled libations, though specific tours, excursion, or attractions may ask that you don't. You can also bring manufacturer sealed factory made foods or snacks, if you need to eat while on land and are distrustful of the local offerings. Remember they suspect (hence the investigation) that some of the deaths over the last 18 months may be linked to tainted beverages (not just alcohol) or beverage containers that may of been coated with a pesticide, and the distressing gastro illness (all they know is it was not noro) that struck many on that HS senior trip could be from food poisoning (at least that is what that particular resort is stating).

Just reported on tonight’s news (local NYC broadcast),another man has died in DR.

He was a restaurant owner from Glen Cove ,NY.

The gentleman had sold his business and was celebrating his retirement.

He reportedly was in good health. 

I would think the State Department would put out a  travel warning for the Dominican Republic.

If I had a resort reservation, I would definitely cancel and rethink travel plans.

Cruise ship passengers should be aware as well.

Agree with one poster here that recommended taking bottles of water from the ship and refrain from eating or drinking anything served in the port.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

Since Amber Cove is a self contained unit, Carnival might use the scare tactic of going off on your own to keep their pax inside the AC corral. Similar to how they try to guide pax to their approved shopping stores.

I haven't seen any indication that they'll try to scare passengers into staying within the confines of Amber Cove, nor do I think they will. In regards to the shops, while part of their reasoning might be kickbacks, other reasons they recommend Carnival approved shops if for a safer shopping experience with their passengers. For example, not getting hustled in some way. Also, they make it much easier in case you have to return something to one of the shops they've partnered with. Not everything is for nefarious reasons.

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Poor response of DR Government and resort management hasn't helped either. 

The response of the D.R. government is what has really angered me over the whole thing. They say all the deaths were natural causes and that it's nothing but "hysteria" intentionally designed to hurt their tourism. Those are statements that reek of corruption and cover-up.

• Like 3

I really hope they will change ports. We are going to La Romana and won't get off the ship.  I know crime happens all over, but the liquor bootlegging seems to be a big problem there.  Now it's not only liquor, but all liquids that they can get cheaper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Just reported on tonight’s news (local NYC broadcast),another man has died in DR.

He was a restaurant owner from Glen Cove ,NY.

The gentleman had sold his business and was celebrating his retirement.

He reportedly was in good health. 

I would think the State Department would put out a  travel warning for the Dominican Republic.

If I had a resort reservation, I would definitely cancel and rethink travel plans.

Cruise ship passengers should be aware as well.

Agree with one poster here that recommended taking bottles of water from the ship and refrain from eating or drinking anything served in the port.

Yes, I received that broadcast as well. Very sad. Quite frankly, I think Carnival putting out a statement as they did with Cuba would benefit them. Saying, "The recent poisonings have not effected Amber Cove in resorts in the Dominican Republic" would put many passengers at ease. 

16 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Carnival is celebrating because its going to cause more people to stay in their locked down compound instead of actually experiencing the dominican republic

To each their own, and it's a good thing we have a variety of choices.  I choose to cruise rather than stay at a resort for the amenities offered by the cruise company.   I like to book excursions through Carnival for the comfort, ease of access, and peace of mind it gives me. I don't cruise for the thrill of adventure.  For me on a cruise, the experience I want is relaxation, and pay to let others do a bigger share of the worrying for a week or two out of a year.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, herb said:

Is Carnival giving guests any guidance or precautionary statements regarding food and beverages before they disembark in DR ports?

Our cruise next year has amber cove as a stop.  I know that is different than La Romana and that these deaths have been sporadic, but I have already been to the DR and will just stay on board.   I may be over reacting, but I do love the ship itself, so its no big deal to stay on.   I just don't trust that the government is responding correctly to what is happening.  I would rather err on the side of caution.

• Like 2

All the recent incidents in the DR (and there has been enough to cause concern) have been on land based trips, none on a cruise. (At least from my memory).   Until that changes there is no reason for Carnival to post anything.  In the past, when it was warranted, they did so in regards to travel to Mazatlan, and for a brief time Puerto Vallarta.  Obviously cruisers can make choices on where they want to travel.   

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, bingomamma19 said:

Our cruise next year has amber cove as a stop.  I know that is different than La Romana and that these deaths have been sporadic, but I have already been to the DR and will just stay on board.   I may be over reacting, but I do love the ship itself, so its no big deal to stay on.   I just don't trust that the government is responding correctly to what is happening.  I would rather err on the side of caution.

I also stayed on the ship when the Horizon docked at Amber Cove, but not for safety reasons.  My choice was dictated by my negativity about AC, there's nothing there that interests me.  Besides, I got to peddle the sky ride several times since there were no lines.

I certainly agree with the lousy communications and reports coming from the DR gov officials.  They need to do a better job of reporting facts and leave out their defensive posturing.  Look how Carnival handles the deaths of pax on their cruise ships, they start with "Passenger safety has always been our #1 priority......."  {But Carnival doesn't announce how many deaths occur on their ships.}

• Like 1

This was on John Heald's Facebook page this morning 

Quite a few of you have been asking about our calls to the Dominican Republic and in particular Amber Cove so I wanted to share this important message with you.

The safety of our guests is our number one priority. While no Carnival shore excursions visit any of the resorts which have been in the news, we continue to monitor the recent events in the Dominican Republic and routinely review information provided by the U.S. State Department.  The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo is actively working with the Government of the Dominican Republic and the private sector to ensure that U.S. citizens are safe and feel safe.  

The food and beverage operation in Amber Cove is run by a global catering company that has been in service for over 25 years and also serves many major airlines and all airports in the Dominican Republic.  By law, they are required to import all their food and beverage products.  All cleaning products used by the facilities operator are approved by the FDA and EPA.  

So I hope that helps reassure you and I know that you will enjoy this superb port of call and have a brilliant time there

cheers

12 hours ago, herb said:

Hi Jeff...

Nice to "see" you again after a long time. Still keep in touch with a whole bunch of past C@ posters on FB. I'm leaving on the Sunrise in August and of course all this nonsense in the DR has garnered my attention. I'll be sailing with a group of approx. 40 people; friends and family.

I originally did not want to go since my wife JoAnn passed away suddenly last August and this will be my first vacation in 38 years without her. Everyone talked me into going so I'll try to make the best of it. Hope all is well with you...

Condolences for the loss of your wife.  May the cruise with friends and family make it easier to deal with this sad anniversary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

I also stayed on the ship when the Horizon docked at Amber Cove, but not for safety reasons.  My choice was dictated by my negativity about AC, there's nothing there that interests me.  Besides, I got to peddle the sky ride several times since there were no lines.

I certainly agree with the lousy communications and reports coming from the DR gov officials.  They need to do a better job of reporting facts and leave out their defensive posturing.  Look how Carnival handles the deaths of pax on their cruise ships, they start with "Passenger safety has always been our #1 priority......."  {But Carnival doesn't announce how many deaths occur on their ships.}

Which cruise line has a different approach?

18 hours ago, evandbob said:

Carnival will probably advise bottled water only if off the ship in La Romana.

When tainted liquor was verified in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen last summer or the one before, I don't think Carnival changed any itineraries.  If there is ever a confirmed cause connecting the DR deaths, then perhaps La Romana might get dropped in favor of AC.

I wonder what posters on CC would think if they found out the actual number of deaths that happen annually on a ship?  I'll wager more folks have died aboard ship than on any particular land vacation.

Of course, I have a biased opinion.  As the news reports continue on this issue, I waited for price drops at some hotels I've already stayed at in Punta Cana.  Sure enough, I found a rate too good to pass up - 10 nights in a Punta Cana all adult AI, RT air, and airport round trip transfers for way less than a week long balcony would cost on the Horizon or Vista.

My husband and I are booked for an AI in Punta Cana for my birthday in November.  Price is great, amenities are extensive, and it is adults only.  Am I worried?  Not really.  We will be careful, just like we always have on the 50+ cruises we have been on.  Yes, I read that there are still new incidents of problems, but I am not going to let mass hysteria stop me from going.  I'll do my due diligence, and go for what I am sure will be a fabulous week at TRS Turquesa in Punta Cana.

Edited by DaisyGirl55
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, herb said:

Hi Jeff...

We are all doing well. We were so sad to hear of JoAnn's passing. She was a lovely lady, and we were glad that we got to meet her a few times. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Glad that you are going on the Sunrise this August. She will be there with you. When you get back let us know what you thought about the ship. We are doing a B2B on her in September. Take care my friend. 😎

• Like 1