Very simple dress code question

PrincessPete

Hi, sorry to ask as I am sure it is a much discussed topic but I am just after some upto date information, please.

We are on Silhouette in September,  a one week Norway cruise.

I am aware of Evening Chic dress codes and what you can wear.

My question is this: is it likely that many men (indeed, any?) will wear evening suit/bow tie on Evening Chic nights on such a relatively short cruise. 

I am easy either way and I know I CAN do, but will I be in a tiny minority?

(our previous Celebrity cruise coincided with the introduction of EC nights so I wondered how it had "settled down" since then.)

Thank you in advance and sorry to as such a boring question.

Kind regards. Peter

Not a boring question at all. There will be some men in full DJ/Tux but maybe not many. Because it is a cruise that many passengers will not need to fly to join there might be a higher than average number of “dressed up” men  because they have not had to worry about weight restrictions for the luggage on a flight.  Enjoy.

6 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Hi, sorry to ask as I am sure it is a much discussed topic but I am just after some upto date information, please.

My question is this: is it likely that many men (indeed, any?) will wear evening suit/bow tie on Evening Chic nights on such a relatively short cruise. 

(our previous Celebrity cruise coincided with the introduction of EC nights so I wondered how it had "settled down" since then.)

Kind regards. Peter

Simple answer: Wear what you want as long as you are comfortable. It is almost impossible to predict what others will wear.

• Like 1

We've not done the Norway cruise, but on our most recent X cruises (7 nights x 2, 12 nights x 1), we saw only a small number of men in formal dress, as well as their companions ("formal" includes tuxedos, full dress kilts, etc.). We tend toward much less formal--DW in a nice long comfortable dress, me in a suit sans tie and socks--and we're still more dressed up than the crowd. I've never seen ragged jeans and a tee shirt (might be barred from the MDR), but like Orator said, wear what you want...it's your vacation.

4 minutes ago, Dom G said:

There are no "simple" dress code questions.  People get riled up about the dress code.

Got that right brother...thought I get in on this before it becomes a multi-page rant!

Thanks for the quick, interesting and helpful replies.

I am mystified why any topic riles people? I may be naive but I thought the Forum was to help people who, like me, ask questions they don't know the answer to (actually on behalf of 4 people as our daughter and son-in-law are travelling with us.).

Interesting point though Dom and I'll wait to see if there are any angry responses!

Thanks again for your help which is much appreciated 

6 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Thanks for the quick, interesting and helpful replies.

I am mystified why any topic riles people? I may be naive but I thought the Forum was to help people who, like me, ask questions they don't know the answer to (actually on behalf of 4 people as our daughter and son-in-law are travelling with us.).

Interesting point though Dom and I'll wait to see if there are any angry responses!

Thanks again for your help which is much appreciated 

There may be few in number getting dressed up, but as many have stated, it's your holiday, dress how you please within the guidelines of Evening Chic.

The topic often riles some folks because( the way I interpret it)some see people not adhering to the dress code as disrespectful to other passengers, some see it as Celebrity relaxing and caving to the whim of people refusing to dress up(ignoring that airline overweight luggage charges are ridiculous and even one or two gowns plus shoes and jewelry and a tux can tip the scales).  Also, it's a topic that comes up a lot and it's something that folks entrenched in their opinions will never budge about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessPete said:

Kind regards. Peter

Probably some, as it's a European cruise. They tend to dress up more. It's your choice. Nice slacks & button down shirt(with or without tie) & perhaps a sport coat should be fine.

Edited by keithm
additions

53 minutes ago, Orator said:

Simple answer: Wear what you want as long as you are comfortable. It is almost impossible to predict what others will wear.

Now here is another example of a flat out lie! Some pax would be comfortable walking around in their underwear if they could! There is a rule of decorum that needs to be followed. No one is saying mandatory tuxes gowns etc. but shorts are NOT acceptable in the rest. at night. How truly difficult is for the "Onslows" on these blogs to just simply wear a decent pair of pants & a nice button down shirt. If you can't follow those simple rules, then stick to the buffet!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cocobakerchica said:

There may be few in number getting dressed up, but as many have stated, it's your holiday, dress how you please within the guidelines of Evening Chic.

The topic often riles some folks because( the way I interpret it)some see people not adhering to the dress code as disrespectful to other passengers, some see it as Celebrity relaxing and caving to the whim of people refusing to dress up(ignoring that airline overweight luggage charges are ridiculous and even one or two gowns plus shoes and jewelry and a tux can tip the scales).  Also, it's a topic that comes up a lot and it's something that folks entrenched in their opinions will never budge about.

I've actually budged quite a bit over the years, but I DO have my limit. NO SHORTS & T SHIRTS in the MDR at night. There are those who will degrade the product because of their own selfish will to the point that cruising just will no longer have a special feeling to it.

Dress however you feel comfortable.  If you want to dress up dress up.  If you dont, don't.   Cruise lines have learned not to impose much.  

I always wear tshirts and convertable cargo shorts with legs in pockets to mdr with the intention if they ask for long pants I will whip the legs out and zip them on right there.  So far no need. 

I see anything from tux to gym wear in mdr.  You will be fine. 

Edited by Kruzer Zuker
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, keithm said:

Now here is another example of a flat out lie! Some pax would be comfortable walking around in their underwear if they could! There is a rule of decorum that needs to be followed. No one is saying mandatory tuxes gowns etc. but shorts are NOT acceptable in the rest. at night. How truly difficult is for the "Onslows" on these blogs to just simply wear a decent pair of pants & a nice button down shirt. If you can't follow those simple rules, then stick to the buffet!

My comment was made in the context of the OP's question. They know the rules! "Lie" is a very strong word and totally inappropriate in the context of this thread. 

• Like 3

On Euro cruises, I tend to dress up a bit more and wear a suit and tie/bow tie. I enjoy the chance to step it up a bit. I’ve noticed more suits/Tux on Euro cruises so go for it and don’t worry, you’ll enjoy it all. On US cruises, I’ll take a sports coat and a few bow ties. 

Den

1 hour ago, PrincessPete said:

Kind regards. Peter

Hi Peter

It's often commented on that European cruises are dressier than those elsewhere which is certainly true. It looks like you're sailing from Southampton. Some would also say that sailings from this port are dressier than other European ports too. You certainly won't be out of place if you were dressed for a traditional formal night. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Thanks 1

This is the third thread in as many weeks that has asked some version of the same question.  That is why it riles people.  The answers haven't magically changed in the last few days.  

Here's the one from last week:

1 hour ago, keithm said:

I've actually budged quite a bit over the years, but I DO have my limit. NO SHORTS & T SHIRTS in the MDR at night. There are those who will degrade the product because of their own selfish will to the point that cruising just will no longer have a special feeling to it.

Cruising doesn’t have a special feel to it. It’s just a floating holiday hotel. 

12 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

This is the third thread in as many weeks that has asked some version of the same question.  That is why it riles people.  The answers haven't magically changed in the last few days.  

Here's the one from last week:

To be fair the OP did say he knows the rules, is just looking for real life reports as to what actually happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highpeaklad said:

To be fair the OP did say he knows the rules, is just looking for real life reports as to what actually happens. 

That has been the nature of the other threads posted, too, even if not part of the original post.  There were also several really old threads bumped last week that had variations on the same theme.  

1 hour ago, Orator said:

My comment was made in the context of the OP's question. They know the rules! "Lie" is a very strong word and totally inappropriate in the context of this thread. 

Still, the way you phrased it, gives the opinion that one can dress anyway they like as long as they feel comfortable. You purposely give a false impression on how pax can dress & as far as I'm concerned it's a lie. Call it strong call it what you wish, but you purposely give wrong information to those who might not know any better. I do agree that I feel this was a "staged" question by the poster, but you certainly don't help the matter.

4 hours ago, Toftwood said:

Not a boring question at all. There will be some men in full DJ/Tux but maybe not many. Because it is a cruise that many passengers will not need to fly to join there might be a higher than average number of “dressed up” men  because they have not had to worry about weight restrictions for the luggage on a flight.  Enjoy.

We fly and my DH always brings dress clothes as do I.  We pay for a piece of luggage (or two) each if necessary.  I like choice of clothes and do pack extra clothes- perhaps we pay an additional $50 for our cruise due to the luggage costs- but it is worth it- IMO.  Not evening gowns- but cocktail attire- and  my DH brings a jacket or two.

We will be on the same cruise and Mr A isn’t planning on bringing a suit, let alone DJ.

(Not sure if this actually is of any help to you...)

Edited by Alsun

Our last few Celebrity cruises, including Europe, our experience has been that passengers dress much less formally since Elegant Chic nights came in. My DH usually wears dress slacks, an open collar dress shirt with no tie, and a sport coat. He does bring along a tie in case he feels underdressed, but has never felt the urge to put it on. Many gentlemen dress similar to this, some have worn a dress shirt with no jacket or tie, a few have dressed more formally with a suit and tie or tux. He would have been in the minority if he dressed up more, and he wouldn't be comfortable that way. Now, admittedly this is just our experience and cruises do vary, but I think that is what the OP was asking for.