$18 drink pkg follow up

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I wonder how many people besides those who follow cruise critic were able to take advantage of the error or even knew it was an error.

I am one who saw it posted on CC and checked our cruises.  Only found one, a 12 night. Was very happy and went back to thank the person who posted a couple days later and could not find the post.  To whoever posted, THANK YOU.

Called our DNL, but it was not available on their cruise.

I tried posting on our roll call several times, but apparently there was a problem and it never would post.

1 minute ago, retiredgram said:

I am one who saw it posted on CC and checked our cruises.  Only found one, a 12 night. Was very happy and went back to thank the person who posted a couple days later and could not find the post.  To whoever posted, THANK YOU.

I tried posting on our roll call several times, but apparently there was a problem and it never would post.

I was able to book at $18 for 56 cruise days in 2020

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

But the question is basically, does Roysl lose money at $18pp? If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to let my wife totally opt out. 

They would likely think that if a second purchaser at $18 wanted to cancel, that person is not at all likely to drink that much anyway. I cannot see them having any reason to allow opt outs for anything other than the usual medical/religion considerations.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thank you for understanding the question 

I would b fearful that if I cancelled one, it would catch up and they would either:

1.  Cancel the one ordered because both need to purchase or

2.  They would tell u that since u have one booked, u need to buy for both in the room- and adding the person back on AT THE CURRENT GOING RATE!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I know you can, I'm thinking it might be to early to get the answer I'm looking for. 😇

But the question is basically, does Roysl lose money at $18pp? If so, wouldn't it be in their best interest to let my wife totally opt out. 

Inquiring minds want to know

7 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I am totally sure that was the case as they advertise dynamic pricing - they have a hard time to proof it was a mistake! 👍 🙄

Airlines are different as they have fixed prices and only availability vavaries... 🙄

Many European cruise lines offer similar packages at about the same $18 price point per day! 👍

7 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I am totally sure that was the case as they advertise dynamic pricing - they have a hard time to proof it was a mistake! 👍 🙄

Airlines are different as they have fixed prices and only availability vavaries... 🙄

Many European cruise lines offer similar packages at about the same $18 price point per day! 👍

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It always seems to be "2 seats left at this price". Then my wife panics b/c she thinks the flight is going to sell out soon. Meanwhile, you look at the seating chart and there are still 30 empty seats.

Yes all of the time. But only 2 of those seats are the low priced ones. Leaned my lesson. I checked the price on the app in the afternoon and by the time I spoke to my wife in the evening the price went up $20 each way. The only difference was there were more than 2 seats left  at the higher price and the 2 lower priced seats were sold earlier that day.

4 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

Gotcha.... I think it just depends on the server too.... on Anthem I was offered two cans of soda, when I only asked for one!  I find that those at the kiosk’s r more lenient with the rules, IMO

You just reminded me that I did get a can at a kiosk outside of WJ and I wasn’t charged for that on. I was only charged in Silk. To tell you the truth Silk messed up a lot with charging for drinks. We were also charged for wine and they never asked us to sign a slip like they did when we ordered wine above the cut off price. 

19 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Good question, I also am curious if anyone who got the $18/day deal has been able to call in and buy down to the refreshment pkg for a cabin mate?

Not sure why anyone would want to.  Refreshment package was $22 and $20 on the two cruises we got the deal on.  Soda was still $8.99.  There was also a cheap deal for kids soda/VOOM on some cruises for $8.99.  Since we pretty much only drink at dinner the Diamond drinks we get made us unsure if we wanted to try the Deluxe.  Each cruise has a Coco Cay stop so will see if we actually get $80 more drinks than we usually get outside of Diamond hours.  And maybe I will get fresh squeezed OJ, although the Tang is fine for me.  

While I can't imagine drinking enough to make Deluxe worthwhile at the normal $45, this does give us a chance to try it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, retiredgram said:

I was the person who posted it, you're welcome.

However, I did realize that we should tip the bartenders an extra $25 per person on a 7 day cruise, since they're getting less tips.  I would be appreciative if you would do that since they're going to work the same amount even though we got a deal.

I still really don't understand the original question here- I booked 2 packages, and the other person in my room doesn't drink.  It was still cheaper than booking only 1 package myself and they get the option to do whatever they want.

16 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

However, I did realize that we should tip the bartenders an extra $25 per person on a 7 day cruise, since they're getting less tips.  I would be appreciative if you would do that since they're going to work the same amount even though we got a deal.

I still really don't understand the original question here- I booked 2 packages, and the other person in my room doesn't drink.  It was still cheaper than booking only 1 package myself and they get the option to do whatever they want.

Sorry the question is so difficult.

I am honestly curious if Royal may lose enough money on this $18 "deal" to waive the requirement that both passengers in a cabin have to purchase a drink pkg of any kind. 

If they really lose money it makes financial sense to let someone off the hook 

1 hour ago, celoplyr said:

Well, thank you again.  I always tip extra to the bartender. They know this and seem to take better care of you. 

Here’s another question. If we’ve already purchased the $18.00 a day drink package and we decide to add a 3rd person to the room that is also over 21, do they just have to purchase the package at the listed price when you add them?

3 minutes ago, TMO3CCO1 said:

Here’s another question. If we’ve already purchased the $18.00 a day drink package and we decide to add a 3rd person to the room that is also over 21, do they just have to purchase the package at the listed price when you add them?

I haven’t read about that scenario happening.  My guess would be that i5 gets overlooked. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry the question is so difficult.

I am honestly curious if Royal may lose enough money on this $18 "deal" to waive the requirement that both passengers in a cabin have to purchase a drink pkg of any kind. 

If they really lose money it makes financial sense to let someone off the hook 

Or they can charge the $18 and hope the second guest doesn't drink. They stand a better chance of that happening than one person purchasing the package and not sharing it with the second guest.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 10:50 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I am so mad I missed this huge mistake. I was on the GR when it hit. How long was this price up for until they realized their mistake?

Me too.  I think only a day.  I check my planner pretty daily, but that was my first day back to work from vacation and was too busy to look at it.  Boy did I miss out!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Just now, mzhibbs said:

Me too.  I think only a day.  I check my planner pretty daily, but that was my first day back to work from vacation and was too busy to look at it.  Boy did I miss out!!!!!! 

Just a few hours.

2 minutes ago, mzhibbs said:

I heard from like 4pm to 1am....I ordered mine around 10:30pm

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Good question, I also am curious if anyone who got the $18/day deal has been able to call in and buy down to the refreshment pkg for a cabin mate?

Considering I am seeing the refreshment package listed at $20 per day, I would keep my mouth shut and not trigger a re-pricing on my deluxe. Besides that, you could still have the deluxe package and save $2 on what the current rate is for just the refreshment.