Travel protection plan added without my knowledge

I called to upgrade my cabin a couple of days ago and just noticed the $89 charge for the Travel Protection Plan. After 20 minutes on the phone, I was told that they cannot remove it for me and I would have to contact Aon Affinity myself. According to the rep, they are having an issue where it's added automatically when changes are made to the reservation, and the person processing the request didn't catch it.

Be on the lookout if you make any changes.

8 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

I called to upgrade my cabin a couple of days ago and just noticed the $89 charge for the Travel Protection Plan. After 20 minutes on the phone, I was told that they cannot remove it for me and I would have to contact Aon Affinity myself. According to the rep, they are having an issue where it's added automatically when changes are made to the reservation, and the person processing the request didn't catch it.

Be on the lookout if you make any changes.

You booked directly with Royal Caribbean?  And you talked directly with RC when this happened?

Are you before final payment?  If so, it is nonsense that they can't remove it.  After final payment, I have no knowledge.

I had the exact same thing happen.  Called to upgrade a room from interior to balcony.  When I received the updated invoice I noticed that they had inadvertently added the protection plan.  I  just called back the next day and they removed it with no problem.  Are you past final payment? If not just call back and talk to a different agent.  I'm sure you will get a different answer.

Edited by Tree_skier

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I had the exact same thing happen.  Called to upgrade a room from interior to balcony.  When I received the updated invoice I noticed that they had inadvertently added the protection plan.  I  just called back the next day and they removed it with no problem.  Are you past final payment? If not just call back and talk to a different agent.  I'm sure you will get a different answer.

Just an honest mistake.🙄

• Haha 1

It has happened to me as well.  If you call they just remove it right then.  Have them email you an updated invoice while you are still on the phone with them to make sure everything else is OK.  Sometimes but not often a simple change leads to unexpected other changes.  So review everything before you hang up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

It has happened to me as well.  If you call they just remove it right then.  Have them email you an updated invoice while you are still on the phone with them to make sure everything else is OK.  Sometimes but not often a simple change leads to unexpected other changes.  So review everything before you hang up.

Excellent advice.

• Like 1

Happened here. Switched cabins in the same category  last week and noticed the new invoice was higher. Called and had it dropped. I am not past final payment.. Guess Royal is hoping that not everyone will notice the extra fee. 

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Just an honest mistake.🙄

It was really a weird deal.  It is a family cruise that I have booked for myself and DW, kids and grandkids.  There are three cabins.  I called to request one cabin be repriced and to upgrade one of the other cabins.  One cabin went down because of the KSF and I wanted to take advantage of that price reduction and put the money towards upgrading an interior to a  balcony cabin.  We talked about the protection plan during the phone conversation but I declined it.  When the new invoices came... the invoice where the KSF was applied didn't have the protection plan added. It was added to the cabin I upgraded to a balcony and to the cabin I made no changes at all too.  I know its easy to see a potential conspiracy here but I just think it was more by incompetence than by design.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You booked directly with Royal Caribbean?  And you talked directly with RC when this happened?

Are you before final payment?  If so, it is nonsense that they can't remove it.  After final payment, I have no knowledge.

It is past final payment. I spoke to Aon Affinity today and they require that I mail a letter to them within 10 days of the policy being purchased in order to cancel. It's been three days since the error, so I'll need to get that in the mail soon. A bit irritating that I have to write a letter to another company to fix a mistake of theirs.

Edited by Aduntu

6 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

It is past final payment. I spoke to Aon Affinity today and they require that I mail a letter to them within 10 days of the policy being purchased in order to cancel. It's been three days since the error, so I'll need to get that in the mail soon. A bit irritating that I have to write a letter to another company to fix a mistake of theirs.

They require a snail mail letter to cancel a policy you didn't ask for?  That's ridiculous.  i'm outraged on your behalf!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

They require a snail mail letter to cancel a policy you didn't ask for?  That's ridiculous.  i'm outraged on your behalf!

Yep, it should be an easy fix without a lot of jumping through hoops. I'd personally call back and ask to speak to a supervisor before sending the letter.

Good luck getting a response from AON; they are notorious stonewallers. Read their BBB ratings.

You didn't buy it; why should you have to cancel it?

Even though you have sent the letter, I would still hound RCCL for them to resolve. It is their error, not yours.

13 hours ago, Aduntu said:

According to the rep, they are having an issue where it's added automatically when changes are made to the reservation, and the person processing the request didn't catch it. 

This is what gets me. There is actually 2 error's on Royals part - there is an issue with it being automatically added when changing an existing reservation (IT issue) and the person processing  the request didn't catch it (Poor Customer Service issue).

And yet, it's up to the OP to correct the 2 mistakes Royal made.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Yep, it should be an easy fix without a lot of jumping through hoops. I'd personally call back and ask to speak to a supervisor before sending the letter.

I did call back after being told that by AA and a supervisor was able to remove it. They confirmed I didn't have to mail the letter. I got a receipt and it shows the plan being declined. Now the amount paid is greater than the total charge, so I will be watching my credit card for the refund.

Edited by Aduntu
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Aduntu said:

I did call back after being told that by AA and a supervisor was able to remove it. They confirmed I didn't have to mail the letter. I got a receipt and it shows the plan being declined. Now the amount paid is greater than the total charge, so I will be watching my credit card for the refund.

Thanks for the update and glad they fixed it. 

3 hours ago, Aduntu said:

I would just call my credit card company and tell them that it is a fraudulent charge and refuse to pay it, let them fight with the insurance company 

4 hours ago, Aduntu said:

Glad it became easier. That it is happening at all borders on fraud.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would just call my credit card company and tell them that it is a fraudulent charge and refuse to pay it, let them fight with the insurance company 

Not 100% but if do that dont think you will be able use that Card with any future Royal purchases. 

37 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not 100% but if do that dont think you will be able use that Card with any future Royal purchases. 

So your card gets black listed because you legitimately dispute a charge for something you did not want and did not authorize to be charged to your card. Not to mention RCI making you jump through hoops to correct their mistake and unauthorized charge. That is very big of RCI.