Escape--this canNOT be real???

Michele035

Humm have you been to  London, Broadway or Las Vegas? They have shows that have been running for years. The shows cost $$$$ to produce and people enjoy seeing them multiple times I am sorry that you feel this will spoil your vacation.

The same 3 shows are on RCI Anthem of the Seas for the last 4 years, two of them were worth seeing twice.  If I sail her again I would be glad to see We Will Rock You for a third time.  Cats has been on Oasis for 5 years, the big question is will it still be on after an upcoming dry dock.

1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Not to get all PC, but I believe it is "gypped" and the term is a slur against Gypsies.   The more you know, the more you grow.

Perhaps it refers to winning one for the Gipper.  Teams that lose to Notre Dame get GIPPED because the Irish were winning one for the Gipper.

• Like 1

I was on the Dawn in 2014, 2016, and 2017.  Same shows Rock of Ages and Elements.  Love both of them!  Even the skits by Second City were the same.  Not sorry to see S.C. go.  It really is common for shows to stay on a ship for years to come.

2 hours ago, Michele035 said:

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

Just another reason to try different ships and different cruise lines

We did Breakaway in November 2018 and then again in June 2019...not quite a year between cruises but definitely enough time for there to be a completely different crew on board from one sailing to the next.  While the shows were the same (in title), the entertainment was not.  For example, Burn the Floor had the same title and premise (amazing dancing), but the show was completely different.  Different music, different dance numbers, different costumes.  It was a completely different show in June than it was in November.  I can't speak for the other show Rock of Ages because I hated the first go around and didn't bother checking it out for a second time.   My point is, just because the titles are the same doesn't mean the shows are the same.  If they end up being exactly the same, there's so many other entertainment options available that I don't think going to bed early will be necessary.

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We did Breakaway in November 2018 and then again in June 2019...not quite a year between cruises but definitely enough time for there to be a completely different crew on board from one sailing to the next.  While the shows were the same (in title), the entertainment was not.  For example, Burn the Floor had the same title and premise (amazing dancing), but the show was completely different.  Different music, different dance numbers, different costumes.  It was a completely different show in June than it was in November.  I can't speak for the other show Rock of Ages because I hated the first go around and didn't bother checking it out for a second time.   My point is, just because the titles are the same doesn't mean the shows are the same.  If they end up being exactly the same, there's so many other entertainment options available that I don't think going to bed early will be necessary.

I don’t think they can change shows they bought the rights to, like Rock of Ages.

Wow just Wow to the responses I have received.  I will never ever ever post on CC ever again.  WOW.  

Wait...perhaps you're misinterpreting the tone.  IMO you've gotten some great responses and some encouraging validation that despite duplicate shows, many are worth seeing again.  If you think the responses have been snarky, you've not read very many threads...this one is a day at the beach compared to some I've read.  

• Like 5

Wow just Wow to the responses I have received.  I will never ever ever post on CC ever again.  WOW.  

:classic_blink:  And you travel out of NY??  I was born and raised there and know how NYers can be.  You must be insulted constantly with people's attitudes while in NY if you were offended by the posters here.  JMHO.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Perhaps it refers to winning one for the Gipper.  Teams that lose to Notre Dame get GIPPED because the Irish were winning one for the Gipper.

The poster was correct. It stems from the old stereotype of Gypsies being con artists.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think they can change shows they bought the rights to, like Rock of Ages.

If they ask the "owner" of the show they can probably change it. Some shows, like Rock of Ages, has a story which may be difficult to change but if not I see no reason why changes can't be made with the "owners" permission.

We've gotten lucky on our 3 Escape cruises. On the first one, we had Million Dollar Quartet before it moved to Getaway. On the next we had the Bratpack show in the theater instead of in the Supper Club where it had originally been. Then on the 3rd one, we had Choir of Man in the Supper Club (which has now apparently moved to the main theater).  After Midnight has been there for all 3 cruises, and although we only saw it once, we loved it. There is so much more entertainment happening on that ship scattered in various places that it's hard to keep up.

As others have mentioned the shows on the newer and bigger ships cost lots of money and training.  They last usually around 5 years.  But I have seen cruise ship entertainment last a very long time on the smaller ships.  The Sky had its own cruise show that lasted about 7 years.

54 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

If they ask the "owner" of the show they can probably change it. Some shows, like Rock of Ages, has a story which may be difficult to change but if not I see no reason why changes can't be made with the "owners" permission.

I believe it is very difficult to get any changes made by the author. If the show is too long or has content not appropriate for your audience, find another one. Even small changes (like changing a word) aren’t easy.

Howl At The Moon is a different show every night. 

The comedians are different. 

What's the point of sitting in a theater at sea anyway? Go have a drink on the waterfront and listen to the waves. That's all the entertainment you need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Sometimes its how a question is posed. The question was legitimate but the attitude behind it clearly got some peoples’ backs up. I think you got some very informative replies even so. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michele035 said:

What were you expecting? If the entertainment was that important, you might of researched it before booking?

Some people enjoy the shows so much that they might watch the same exact show more than once on the same cruise! Personally I think it is great opportunity to take advantage of other offerings the ship has, for example there are shows in The Supper Club and Comedians that will more than likely different from your last cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michele035 said:

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

Eacape actually just update there shows this year. When I went in June 2018 in the main theater was Brat Pack and After Midnight.   Choir of man was a paid show in dinner theater. 

Edited by K922
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Michele035 said:

As someone pointed out, these shows and sets cost millions to produce. So they are on the ship to stay for a very long time. There are also other shows (which may or may not change). Then there are different headlines, the comedy club, the entertainers, etc. I do not think you will be starved of any entertainment. A lot of other things may be the same too.
It is the same on other cruise lines as well.

Now do come back and join your roll call. Sign up for the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle and attend it. There you can personally ask the Cruise Director or the General Manager (HD of the past) why the shows are not changed so often.....perhaps they may even offer you a back stage tour where they will explain everything. It will answer your question completely, I hope.  Happy Cruising!

Edited by Arzeena