Escape--this canNOT be real???

Michele035

10 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Just as an FYI:  There are many times that music is re-arranged from its original form for specific purposes and the arrangers/users have to get a special license from the person or organization (i.e., ASCAP, BMI) that owns the music to do this.  An example is the Drum Corps International groups that do this all the time.  Beyond this, they also have to pay for the performance rights, the audio rights, the video syncing rights, etc., etc.

Dave...I can see that.  The productions have to make some minor adjustments for the venue (as on a cruise ship).  But, there aren't any wholesale changes that I've ever seen.

Plus, whatever licensing (as you point out) terms and rights have to be adhered to.

It's not a matter of asking the authors, writers, composers to allow enough changes as to make the shows significantly different enough where the show is fundamentally different.  

OP...if you're looking for a different show, pick a different ship.  Easy-Peezy!

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Shows don’t work like that, this is someone’s work of art, not something to be changed by others. It’s licensed for a reason. Blue Man Group is not going to authorize a cruise line to change their product.

I don't say that NCL should change Blue Man Groups product but I can't really see any problem with having in the contract  that Blue Man Group should change it once every year.

23 hours ago, luke0902@aol.com said:

Were on the Jade in February, and Jackie Tan, the cruise director really enhanced the experience. Funny, clever, personable. Wish I knew what ship he is on..Excellent entertainment-everyone's different, but when I'm on a cruise, I will see a show twice in one night, and thoroughly enjoy it both times. 

Luke,

Jackie was on our Escape cruise the first week of June.  He was also leaving the ship on June 9, and I'm not sure if he was taking a leave or leaving NCL completely.

He was excellent, and seemed to be EVERYWHERE!

I think the point that many miss here, and in fairness it was mentioned earlier in this thread, is the logistics of making major changes to a show on a SHIP.  It's hard enough on land.  The ship is rarely at in port overnight.  Think of what has to be done to the "set" to make changes...much less the costumes/crew etc...that is why shows in Vegas etc, run for years....it's hard enough there.  

Still, thinking the OP was maybe just fishing....

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, Michele035 said:

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

Was just on the Sun. Sat down for lunch on embarkation day and menu was identical to 12+ months prior, the last time we were on. All I could do was laugh and remember what was terrible last year, and to not order it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 14cruise said:

we went on Escape in 2016 and going on the breakaway and I too was surprised its the same ROCK OF AGES.   I cant believe they dont change the entertainment more often. 

Escape had Brat Pack in 2016, not Rock of Ages. 

So I was on the Escape in June, we ended up booking again for January. I want to see Choir of Man again. I also want to do the things I wasn’t able to get to like the Comedian, piano bar and a list of other activities. I think you shouldn’t  be disappointed as there is so much to do. Try to research activities that might also interest you. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, Peachypooh said:

I remember feeling dismayed when we sailed Jade Jan of 2018 and then Jan of 2019 and it was

the exact same entertainment. But it makes sense I guess. However I have to say that we thought

it was quite funny that the same aerial/acrobatic act was on two different ships  over the years.

And yup we were on them when they were.

I felt the same with Priscilla on the Epic - on my third cruise.  Now I just know to expect it and as the others say “find something else to do”.  

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:13 AM, Michele035 said:

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

I get it! i have the same feelings when I'm on the mega ships as the entertainment in the theatre doesn't have a great deal of variety. Only 2 different shows. One of the reasons I prefer the Jewel Class or smaller as there is a different show in the theatre every night and seating for all, so each night you can go to the theatre and see a different show. You don't have to book or go super early to ensure they don't give your seat away. On the Breakaway last year I didn't even bother with the shows as I'd seen both Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages 4 years prior. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:57 AM, gmbhardy said:

We’ve seen Million Dollar Quartet 6 times and loved every performance.

I have to admit that's the one show I can repeat watching many times. The rest that I've seen I don't need to see again. Although I think Jersey boys I would enjoy watching multiple times as I've seen it on the smaller NCL ships and I've loved it every time. 

1 hour ago, karoo said:

I have to admit that's the one show I can repeat watching many times. The rest that I've seen I don't need to see again. Although I think Jersey boys I would enjoy watching multiple times as I've seen it on the smaller NCL ships and I've loved it every time. 

We have seen Jersey Boys both on ships and on land; never get tired of them. The same with Rat Pack: I think many shows can be enjoyed over and over. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I felt the same with Priscilla on the Epic - on my third cruise.  Now I just know to expect it and as the others say “find something else to do”.  

I will actually miss Priscilla when it goes!  Been on Epic 5 times and each time I have watched the show both days it's on 🙂 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Misself said:

I will actually miss Priscilla when it goes!  Been on Epic 5 times and each time I have watched the show both days it's on 🙂 

For me I would have done a “double watch” if Legally Blonde was the show.  Horses for courses I suppose 😂😂😂😂

The downside of only sailing on ships which emphasize huge production shows is the obvious necessity of long runs of those big productions.  Frankly, I prefer the variety provided by less spectacular stuff:  jugglers, ventriloquists, singers, musicians, and stand up comics may lack the “wow factor” — but “wow” itself can get tiresome.

Anyway, someone who can stand sailing on an NCL mega ship twice a year ought to be able to stomach a repeat of a production show — and certainly shouldn’t let perfectly normal (but perhaps not sufficiently sympathetic) responses upset her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would love to have PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT on the Epic forever.

We catch almost every performance.

gary

On 7/24/2019 at 11:12 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

On 7/25/2019 at 6:03 AM, Misself said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

six is coming to Bliss.

But for me, they can change after midnight to Six at Escape.

"Six" is great.  We saw it earlier in the summer here in Chicago and highly recommend it.

This weekend it is actually closing it's run here and moving to Broadway.  (not sure when it will open).

It will be a great addition to the NCL show selection.

• Like 1