Escape--this canNOT be real???

Michele035

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

So we cruised the Escape out of NY to Bermuda last August 2018.  We are doing the Escape again to Bermuda again this October.  Was just looking at the entertainment options and this canNOT be real.  the EXACT same freaking entertainment?  SAME shows?  how can this be?  I know it is the same ship and the same itinerary but it is over a year later....anyone every experience this?  any insight?  I feel GIPPED and annoyed..looks like we will be going to bed early every night...grrrrr….

Looks like you have been on CC for a while but guess you haven't read that shows usually stay on a particular ship for quite some years.  One year from 2018-2019, you will see the same show (unless it has been on the ship for many years prior).

Escape is my favorite ship. If I was already going to be annoyed, felt "gypped", and thought I would be going to be early vs. staying out if I wanted, I would most certainly be finding another ship. Why don't you do that instead of already feeling upset before you sail???

Edited by js
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We cruised aboard the Escape twice as well. Once in December 2016 and again in December 2018. Exact same broadway style shows were on offer for both cruises and would have been the same as you saw last August.

Not sure what the usual turn over on this type of a production is generally in the industry but I would imagine they keep the same shows for several years. 

• Like 1

Yes. We have been on 3 Disney cruises  on the same ship with our 4 year old  granddaughter.  We have seen pretty much the same shows 3 times. She likes them though. It takes alot of money to produce a quality show so they want to run it forever to justify the expense. That is one reason we try to switch up cruise lines and ships. There is always the comedy shows and karaoke etc. Sometimes it is nice to have the evening to yourself and not have to rush to a big show. 

Mary Ann

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Not to get all PC, but I believe it is "gypped" and the term is a slur against Gypsies.   The more you know, the more you grow.

I had no idea that's where that came from.  You really do learn something new everyday.

Edited by tyry
  • Like 7

We are on the Getaway 2.5 years after our first sailing and the entertainment is still the same.  We enjoyed Burn the Floor so we will see that again but will choose other options the other nights.  Our favorite is the dueling pianos (Howl at the Moon).  They do not change the entertainment on their ships very often it seems.  We will be fine.  I'm sure you will find something to your liking😊

4 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Wow just Wow to the responses I have received.  I will never ever ever post on CC ever again.  WOW.  

I saw nothing that should have bothered you....

But yeah, the shows stay the same a LONG time....Escape is still my favorite, and I've only seen one show...much to do on this ship.  Enjoy...and don't feel "ripped"...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When the Breakaway was still in New York, we sailed it 3 times in a row.....and they had “Rock of Ages” every time.  So we know first hand that the entertainment can remain the same for a few years😎

18 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Wow just Wow to the responses I have received.  I will never ever ever post on CC ever again.  WOW.  

I’m not sure what you are so frustrated about by these posters.  Everyone has been relatively polite. Most shows stay the same on the ships for a period of time.  We watched Blue Man Group 3 times and enjoyed it each time.  But there is so much do see and do on the ship it shouldn’t be a problem.  Honestly will free up some evenings making you feel more relaxed.  We use to attend all the shows, now we see maybe 2-3 bc we just enjoy the other activities the ship has to offer.  

And do not feel “Gypped” by NCL, some cruise lines have the same shows on a variety of ships.  Imagine how you would feel if you were on a different ship but watched the same shows!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

There are plenty of entertainment venues on the ship. Lots to do at night. This is one of the things I like about NCL.  You don't have to rely on the main theater.  It would have been a whole year since you saw it, it could feel not so tired/boring.  Anyway I hope you find lots to do and have a great cruise.  

• Like 1

I remember feeling dismayed when we sailed Jade Jan of 2018 and then Jan of 2019 and it was

the exact same entertainment. But it makes sense I guess. However I have to say that we thought

it was quite funny that the same aerial/acrobatic act was on two different ships  over the years.

And yup we were on them when they were.

Edited by Peachypooh

The big production shows will stay at minimum until the next dry dock. It's not a simple thing to dismantle the whole stage and put a new one on! Plus the Broadway shows would have a contract that probably spells out the length of time they're on.

I was on Oasis exactly one year apart - all the shows were the same. So it's not just NCL! There's actually a thread over there whether they're going to replace Cats during Oasis' dry dock or not. 

• Like 1

Regarding the stage shows - some say they stay on from one dry dock to the next, due to the complexity of changing out the sets and being unable to do the change-over during a regular turn-around day.  I believe there is a 5-year cycle of "marine-side" inspections so unless your 2 trips are bracketing one of those dry dock periods you're going to end up with the same shows for sure.  There's also no assurance that the shows will change out during the dry dock.

Bliss MAY be an exception this year - there are reports of a new show starting this fall, which MAY replace Havana as one of the theater shows (nobody knows for sure yet)

I am kind of glad they keep them on the same ship...I think it would feel like worse luck if you booked a new ship to have a whole new cruise experience and the old shows followed you to that ship.

Not exactly a show, but the Escape the Big Top activity didn't change between my two sailings on the Escape.  Even having done it before, we still couldn't do it the second time.

21 minutes ago, mafig said:

These shows cost millions to produce.  They will stay on for many years.  

That is one reason I like the fact that NCL rotates their ships out of NYC.. Saw main shows on Breakaway, Escape, and are looking forward to upcoming main shows on Bliss and Encore..

Were on the Jade in February, and Jackie Tan, the cruise director really enhanced the experience. Funny, clever, personable. Wish I knew what ship he is on..Excellent entertainment-everyone's different, but when I'm on a cruise, I will see a show twice in one night, and thoroughly enjoy it both times. 

1 hour ago, Michele035 said:

Your angry question was answered with some well known facts. Just a FYI, the menus might be the same too.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3