Odd Question. Sleeping in Deck Chair?

charlielinda

Last night my husband and I stumbled across a Love Boat episode.  A women decided she wanted fresh air and went to the “Lido” deck to sleep for the night.  I said to my husband “wonder if you can do that?”   He replied “we’re never up late enough or early enough to know”.  We laughed and he said “you should ask CruiseCritic.  So hear goes ... I was thinking this would be a great idea for the chair hog to get the perfect chair.  

3 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Last night my husband and I stumbled across a Love Boat episode.  A women decided she wanted fresh air and went to the “Lido” deck to sleep for the night.  I said to my husband “wonder if you can do that?”   He replied “we’re never up late enough or early enough to know”.  We laughed and he said “you should ask CruiseCritic.  So hear goes ... I was thinking this would be a great idea for the chair hog to get the perfect chair.  

Good thought.

This could happen on some Lines.

I recall two years ago when staying in the Annabelle in Cyprus.  We returned to the hotel in the early hours, after spending the whole day at a Wedding, when we were passed at reception by a group of German guests dressed in Dressing Gowns, carrying Towles.  When asking if they were going for a swim, they replied "No - Reserving Beds".

So the thought processes are actually embryonic.  So it's when will thoughts be manifested.  

I have seen it done.  The young woman was obviously suffering from seasickness and being on the deck with fresh air is helpful.  That was several years ago, before the curfew thing for teens and my memory says the ship hadn't stacked and tied down the chairs.  I can't remember the ship name.

Funny, my DH and I were just talking about this in our cruise last week!  I wondered if anyone in an inside cabin decided to sleep on one of the large bed/chairs on the pool deck.  Would Security wake you up and tell you to return to your cabin?

A long time ago (before cell phones and white noise) I was sharing a room with my Dad at the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs and his snoring was so bad I went and slept on a sofa in the lobby at 3 am...

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Funny, my DH and I were just talking about this in our cruise last week!  I wondered if anyone in an inside cabin decided to sleep on one of the large bed/chairs on the pool deck.  Would Security wake you up and tell you to return to your cabin?

An inside cabin is lovely .. quiet and dark. best place to sleep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funny. I remembered both episodes right away, when I read the name of your topic.

One was Musical Cabins and Funny Valentine/The Wallflower/Home is not a Home.

I read that there is no rules against it.

290912102b8fa22f_w.jpg

• Haha 1

Please remember though that crew are scheduled to clean this area at night which means they often have to move all the deck chairs in order to clean up all the spilled drinks, food crumbs, etc.  

There was a couple who problems with viabration their cabin on the Eclipse & no cabin to move to.   As I recall they were not allowed to sleep in Relaxation room, on the pool loungers, or library. She stayed with a couple who offered their sofa bed 

About 5 years ago I came down with a horrible cold with 2 days left on the Rhapsody of the Seas, on night 6 my wife couldn't sleep with all my coughing and sneezing and left the cabin and sacked out on a deck chair.

6 hours ago, charlielinda said:

I'm up early and walk the rack. On an occasion I've someone sleeping in a lounger on the deck above the pool deck. Blanket and pillow. 

6 hours ago, helen haywood said:

A long time ago (before cell phones and white noise) I was sharing a room with my Dad at the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs and his snoring was so bad I went and slept on a sofa in the lobby at 3 am...

Wow.. just wow.

People in inside cabins are not some kind of homeless to sleep in the chairs.

They have comfortable beds in their private rooms.

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Wow.. just wow.

People in inside cabins are not some kind of homeless to sleep in the chairs.

They have comfortable beds in their private rooms.

The comment shocked me as well. Cabins are identical as the veranda cabins.  We love them especially when we can stay on for a B2B for the same price as someone who gets off after one cruise

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure the tongue in cheek comments are worth getting that offended over, guys 😂  It's hard for me to fathom an existence where those comments "Wow just wow" and "Shocking" worthy.

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, gold1953 said:

The comment shocked me as well. Cabins are identical as the veranda cabins.  We love them especially when we can stay on for a B2B for the same price as someone who gets off after one cruise

We cruise 5 times a year to get outside, to be active, to do something together outside of living quarters . We used to book balconies (and we still do if I need to work more than I like), but stopped booking them for this very reason. And now we are .... that ... poor souls. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Do you think people would spend their vacations in something they hate?

I do not...but there is a reason OV and balcony rooms are much more plentiful.  

I meant no offense, sorry if I came across that way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I do not...but there is a reason OV and balcony rooms are much more plentiful.  

I meant no offense, sorry if I came across that way. 

Ahttps://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-gifts/items-results?category=SPIRIT&collection=CHAMPAGNE&fbclid=IwAR2zijWnlWWs9GHTORd2Qj2Zh1zNBqJTJ4NlomXkXr8fi86jHKZeUgOgiGgThere is just a small area on each deck that is not taken up by other venues, stairs, elevators , crew areas so there there is not space for more inside cabins.. 

• Like 1

I have slept on many a sun lounger on land based holidays as I love fresh air rather than Aircon

I tried on the Navigator earlier this year and was politely woken by security at 3am and asked had I had a row with my wife

I said I like fresh air and was told to watch out for the Pool Staff in the Morning when they hosed the deck down

Didn't do it again but fair play to Security  

5 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Ahttps://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-gifts/items-results?category=SPIRIT&collection=CHAMPAGNE&fbclid=IwAR2zijWnlWWs9GHTORd2Qj2Zh1zNBqJTJ4NlomXkXr8fi86jHKZeUgOgiGgThere is just a small area on each deck that is not taken up by other venues, stairs, elevators , crew areas so there there is not space for more inside cabins.. 

Cruise Ship design has changed tremendously through the years...interior used to be the norm...

We have cruised 60 times and probably have only booked an outside or veranda 6 or 7 times. We've have no problem with an inside cabin as all we do is shower and sleep in any cabin. We have been I guess lucky as we have had quite a few upgrades. We also have done well with guaranteed deals booking an inside and wound up in verandas but as to not contridict myself we would have been just as happy with guaranteed inside.

• Like 1