Anyone else duped by RCI-Radiance of the Seas 7-10-20?

I do believe there's a point where a company such as RCCL should be forced to honor their advertised prices; there's no incentive for them to fix their IT platforms otherwise, if they can just spew out attractive prices and then refuse to honor the sale later and just issue refunds if people won't give them more money for it when they're notified of the "error." Moreso in cases where you can go through a travel agent, who actually speaks to a person at that company, to make the booking. How many layers of "yes that's a correct price, give me your money to book it" even followed by written confirmations must you go through before you can have any trust in the purchase?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I do believe there's a point where a company such as RCCL should be forced to honor their advertised prices; there's no incentive for them to fix their IT platforms otherwise, if they can just spew out attractive prices and then refuse to honor the sale later and just issue refunds if people won't give them more money for it when they're notified of the "error." Moreso in cases where you can go through a travel agent, who actually speaks to a person at that company, to make the booking. How many layers of "yes that's a correct price, give me your money to book it" even followed by written confirmations must you go through before you can have any trust in the purchase?

How long before they start lowering the price at which they say it's a mistake. 

9 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

For instance right now Princess has a 10 day cruise tour on July 11, that is $4500 for an inside.  Which would make me think Royals price now of almost $9500 is extremely high.  

Well you can say that if you like but you don't exactly know what Category Cabin that price is for or  which land tour is included in that price.  The original poster has seemed to disappear and is not giving additional information.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, dswallow said:

I just wonder if the OP got a written confirmation, how can any business say the price is a mistake. 

A written confirmation showing what has been paid and what the money was paid for becomes a contract, to me. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:01 AM, xtsea99 said:

On July 9th I booked a 12-day Alaskan Cruise/LandTour, (cruisetour 12A) for uly 10, 2020 as advertised, for 2 people for a total of $2924.86 .... yesterday I received a call from RCI that they advertised the price incorrectly (their error was also applied to multiple travel agency sites), and that in order to keep my cruise I would need to pay $9,672.72.   Bait and switch, false advertising.  Has anyone else been affected by this?  They (RCI) made an "executive decision" to not honor their pricing.  I'm now out airfare, excursions, travel insurance, etc.  If I don't pay up by August 2, 2019, they will automatically cancel my reservation.  I am appealing to their "upper management" and their Board of Directors, but I'm trying to find anyone else to has experienced this (or similar, and what your outcome was), so we can band together.

I've cruised on over 50 cruises, and my husband has been on more than 30; this would have been our first experience with RCI.  

Pam Monroe

Have you tried their twitter and facebook pages and complained? Might help since more people see the negative things they do.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:57 AM, xtsea99 said:

Ontheweb - I did have both the TA and RCI on the phone at the same time (for over 45 minutes).  When I asked to speak to someone higher up, with decision making authority, the RCI rep replied "this is not a Call Center, this is the Executive Offices of RCI; there is no one higher".  ("arms crossed/line in the sand").... the TA felt absolutely terrible, but felt there was nothing they could do if RCI would not honor their price.

There has been many experiences of this on Cruise Critic on Royal and other Cruise Lines. Even when Cruise is paid in Full, if price was in error you either have to pay difference or Cancel. No legal recourse

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I just wonder if the OP got a written confirmation, how can any business say the price is a mistake. 

A written confirmation showing what has been paid and what the money was paid for becomes a contract, to me. 

Actually no. This has happened before, paid in Full with Confirmation. 

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Are you  suggesting a fake, fake sale?

Why not?  They keep pushing the limit.  There's no one but RC that can declare that a price is a "mistake".

56 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Why not?  They keep pushing the limit.  There's no one but RC that can declare that a price is a "mistake".

You are a marketing genius. The problem is that the CSR's don't think outside the box. They just regurgitate what they see on the screen. They are the same on all of the cruise lines. I'm sure the OP and the TA knew this and hoped that they would get the answer they got. Royal should have honored the price regardless because it's their responsibility to train the reps. I would like to know who picked up on the error? It had to be a good amount of passengers who booked this itinerary for it to be flagged by someone else after it was booked.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

A little civility goes a long way and it's something CC could use more of.

Well, that goes for the initial complaints, too. "Bait and switch" and "false advertising" are a bit much. I agree the OP might not have bought the tour knowing it was a mistake, but they went way beyond the pale in their accusations.

Then, not even conceding that RC gave them more compensation than obligated...not a steaming pile of BS, but definitely not able to accept mistakes gracefully.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Well, that goes for the initial complaints, too. "Bait and switch" and "false advertising" are a bit much. I agree the OP might not have bought the tour knowing it was a mistake, but they went way beyond the pale in their accusations.

Then, not even conceding that RC gave them more compensation than obligated...not a steaming pile of BS, but definitely not able to accept mistakes gracefully.

There is a difference between castigating a company unfairly and a person posting. It's not our job to defend Royal against unfair attacks, that's why they have lawyers.😉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, xtsea99 said:

The whole experience was horrible, demoralizing and I regret posting here, simply trying to locate others who booked this same cruise. 

For you or anyone else, for that ^, post in the Roll Call thread for that sailing - everyone there booked the same sailing.

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

There is a difference between castigating a company unfairly and a person posting. It's not our job to defend Royal against unfair attacks, that's why they have lawyers.😉

You took the words right out of my mouth no need to post now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If the issue becomes widespread enough, I suppose a consumer protection agency could get involved.  About a decade ago, JetBlue came out with a 'Customer Bill of Rights" after they had a few public relations disasters involving planes sitting on the runways for hours with passengers unable to get off for 7, 8 or more hours.  But it took the threat of passing Federal regulations for the company to do that. Even thought there i still some vague, legal wording in the BOF, at least its a step in the right direction.

Speaking of airlines, there are regulations protecting the passengers from unfair pricing, bumping, etc. However, as cruising is still considered a luxury vacation, it's still "buyer beware" mentality.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:58 AM, xtsea99 said:

Attached is the advertised price as it appeared on July 8th.

cruisetour-7-10-2020.jpg

Late to this thread.....we have done plenty of cruises, and KNOW that this advertisement is NOT directly through Royal.  If the OP booked through this travel agency that promoted the package (and the land package ISN'T specifically priced in the ad).  When the ad says "Brochure Balcony" and then says "Our Balcony"......don't blame Royal....blame the travel agency for misleading information.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Speaking of airlines, there are regulations protecting the passengers from unfair pricing, bumping, etc. However, as cruising is still considered a luxury vacation, it's still "buyer beware" mentality.

Plus, the cruise lines are typically running under the laws of their flag of convenience country, which complicates the legal issues.

27 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Late to this thread.....we have done plenty of cruises, and KNOW that this advertisement is NOT directly through Royal.  If the OP booked through this travel agency that promoted the package (and the land package ISN'T specifically priced in the ad).  When the ad says "Brochure Balcony" and then says "Our Balcony"......don't blame Royal....blame the travel agency for misleading information.  

They called RCI to verify pricing.   RCI had the same pricing.  

22 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Know I am in minority but another reason why I will never again use a travel agency. Two negative experiences enough for me. I too am late to this thread and I just read all that is still posted.  I see this not as a Royal error as much as the travel agency error and feel the travel agency should be responsible.  Sorry the OP was misled and will not get the Alaska vacation.  There is no deal offered thru a TA good enough to entice me to book with any agency.  I do not need their perks nor the grief that comes with them.

Just recalled I did have one good experience.  Through my own negligence I forgot to book a hotel room in Munich for Oktoberfest and had to rely on a TA from my neighborhood to secure a room at only $450 pn.  My bad.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

They called RCI to verify pricing.   RCI had the same pricing.  

My problem with that....is are you so 'sure' they called Royal, and not someone within their own agency (sorry for being the skeptic -- but I have worked in sales organizations all my life and know of unscrupulous behavior to land a sale).  That brouchure/ad printout is NOT Royal.

Edited by Paulette3028
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

My problem with that....is are you so 'sure' they called Royal, and not someone within their own agency (sorry for being the skeptic -- but I have worked in sales organizations all my life and know of unscrupulous behavior to land a sale).  That brouchure/ad printout is NOT Royal.

RCI accepted the deposit.   RCI contacted OP more than two weeks after the booking.  They also accepted responsibility by doing an alternative arrangement for the OP, as a sort of good will.   I believe the OP also said the rate was available on RCI's website.    

7 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

RCI accepted the deposit.   RCI contacted OP more than two weeks after the booking.  They also accepted responsibility by doing an alternative arrangement for the OP, as a sort of good will.   I believe the OP also said the rate was available on RCI's website.    

If the rate was available on Royal's website, maybe they should have taken a screen shot of that, but they did not.  It causes me to wonder whether it was so.  You can call me a 'doubting Thomas' when it comes to what the OP has said....but I work with customers all the time, and what they say and what is 'reality' is often NOT the case.  

Edited by Paulette3028
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

If the rate was available on Royal's website, maybe they should have taken a screen shot of that, but they did not. 

That is not the issue in this thread and it would not have mattered.  Others have booked at the "mistaken" price, but unlike BeverageGate, RCI simply chose not to honor the mistake. The problem for the OP, is that unlike BeverageGate, the social media uproar was not there, likely due to a much smaller number of people affected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Know I am in minority but another reason why I will never again use a travel agency. Two negative experiences enough for me. I too am late to this thread and I just read all that is still posted.  I see this not as a Royal error as much as the travel agency error and feel the travel agency should be responsible.  Sorry the OP was misled and will not get the Alaska vacation.  There is no deal offered thru a TA good enough to entice me to book with any agency.  I do not need their perks nor the grief that comes with them.

Just recalled I did have one good experience.  Through my own negligence I forgot to book a hotel room in Munich for Oktoberfest and had to rely on a TA from my neighborhood to secure a room at only $450 pn.  My bad.

Recently, my daughter and her friends secured a room on AirBnb in Munich for a very reasonable rate near the Ocktoberfest festivities,   You may want to check out alternative arrangements.