What to do with lots of OBC and PP tips

On one cruise, I was notified during the last sea day that I hadn't used $199 of shipboard credit, which I would lose if this money remained in my account.  I went to the jewelry store and bought $147 worth of pretty baubles.  It was fun to indulge a whim, something I rarely do when dealing with money.  Even better, everything was substantially reduced, so I got a lovely earring and necklace set.  

Onboard credit can be used for just about anything that's sold on the ship.  You may also have some of it applied for additional gratuities, which is what I did with the remainder of the money.  Have fun thinking of ways to spend your "windfall."

• Like 1

Be sure to differentiate between HAL OBC (usually given as a promotion), which is not refundable, and OBC given by your TA (or possibly as a gift from someone), which is real money, and you will get back at the end of the voyage. 

I’ve never had a problem spending my OBC 😉

But, I am bad - I buy an internet package, Wine package (even if I have SBP ), go to Sel de Mer, Cellar Master dinners, etc.

Between that and HSC and other sundry stuff on board, I’m happy if I break even 🤣 😉 

All kinds of ways to spend it and remember the HSC can be charged against it.

• Like 1

I purchased moisturizers in the beauty area, the Spa area also has items for sale, I will do more Sip and Savours,  the Shops, I purchased a coat and of course those ten dollar watches.  If they have a ship’s tour you could sign up for that.  And of course ship excursions.  Have a great cruise.

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve never had a problem spending my OBC 😉

But, I am bad - I buy an internet package, Wine package (even if I have SBP ), go to Sel de Mer, Cellar Master dinners, etc.

Between that and HSC and other sundry stuff on board, I’m happy if I break even 🤣 😉 

All kinds of ways to spend it and remember the HSC can be charged against it.

I laughed at this!  We had a lot of OBC and I said to my husband, how will we spend it all?  He looked at me & said, I’m sure you’ll find a way...and I did!!  Was so much fun to do that.

OP-I’m sure you’ll find a way to use yours too-lots of options.  

We generally use ours on shore excursions - goes quickly that way!  I SURE wish tha HAL would allow us to use OBC on excursions purchased BEFORE the cruise begins.  I hate to have to wait, run the risk of not getting the excursions we want and then having to rush on the busy first day to book.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We generally use ours on shore excursions - goes quickly that way!  I SURE wish tha HAL would allow us to use OBC on excursions purchased BEFORE the cruise begins.  I hate to have to wait, run the risk of not getting the excursions we want and then having to rush on the busy first day to book.

We discovered before our recent Celebrity cruise we could book using our OBC ahead of time!  I loved it.  I wouldn’t be surprised that HAL will get around to doing that too.  

2 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

On one cruise, I was notified during the last sea day that I hadn't used $199 of shipboard credit, which I would lose if this money remained in my account.  I went to the jewelry store and bought $147 worth of pretty baubles.  It was fun to indulge a whim, something I rarely do when dealing with money.  Even better, everything was substantially reduced, so I got a lovely earring and necklace set.  

Onboard credit can be used for just about anything that's sold on the ship.  You may also have some of it applied for additional gratuities, which is what I did with the remainder of the money.  Have fun thinking of ways to spend your "windfall."

Ohhhhhh... I like this!

20 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We discovered before our recent Celebrity cruise we could book using our OBC ahead of time!  I loved it.  I wouldn’t be surprised that HAL will get around to doing that too.  

I sure hope you are right!  WE REALLY NEED THIS HAL!!

2 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Be sure to differentiate between HAL OBC (usually given as a promotion), which is not refundable, and OBC given by your TA (or possibly as a gift from someone), which is real money, and you will get back at the end of the voyage. 

I didn't use all my OBC on my recent cruises and (unfortunately it was wasted).  Nothing in the shops that I wanted. 

2 hours ago, kwb101 said:

You just explained something I've been confused about but never asked - my TA and some people here had described OBC as being refundable, but others talked about it like they had to use it or lose it.

Is it easy to tell from my online statement which kind I have? 

Another thought ... if you have room in your suitcase, you could buy personal grooming items like disposable razors and shampoo and donate them to a shelter when you get home. Or a variety of squishable stuffed toys to donate to Victims Services or kids living in a domestic abuse shelter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I didn't use all my OBC on my recent cruises and (unfortunately it was wasted).  Nothing in the shops that I wanted. 

It’s too bad you couldn’t find something for a gift for a friend or relative.  Or pamper yourself with a pedicure or manicure.  I remember using some of ours for buying a round of drinks! 

54 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I am at a loss.  If you couldn’t use it then why not up your HSC and give it to the crew?  You could have just increased your HSC - easy.

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

You just explained something I've been confused about but never asked - my TA and some people here had described OBC as being refundable, but others talked about it like they had to use it or lose it.

Is it easy to tell from my online statement which kind I have? 

Yes it is.  If you booked with HAL and see your onboard credit that is only HAL’s - all non refundable.  

If you use a TA, then they will send you a confirmation.  HAL’s is non refundable and anything the TA gives you or you choose to pre-purchase is refundable.