Miss the ship

If you are late getting back to the ship at a port and miss the ship, they will have a representative at the port to assist you with all of that.  If you are able to catch up with the ship then they will leave your belongings in your cabin waiting for you.  If not, they will let you know how you can have them shipped back to you or how to pick them up when the ship gets to its debarkation portion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you were not on a ship sponsored excursion, they will try to find your passport in the cabin safe and deliver it to the port agent (be sure to take that information with you whenever you leave the ship). You will then be responsible for getting yourself to the next port. Your clothing will be waiting in your cabin just as you left it. However, as previously noted, don’t miss the ship. 

• Like 2

It is rare that the ship is missed.  I suggest setting your phone/watch to the ship's time, and changing the settings on the device so it won't update to the time in port in case the ship's time and port time do not match.

We do our best to always be back 1 - 2 hours before departure.  With that, there's no need for concern. 

Carry your Cruise Compass (the daily newsletter) off the ship with you, or photograph the port representative's info from it.  The info for that port representative is printed on the Compass every day the ship is in port.  They will walk you through any type of problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Who was that directed toward?  Pier runners?

From what I read on-line I think/say it was meant for the ship beside it, which was Anthem of the Seas.  

That being said there is a "news" article circulating the last few days that implies that it was meant for a couple of late returning guests that missed the ship in Saint Martain.  I highly doubt that any of the officers of the watch, crew or Captain would be so calous to wave this at a guest that missed the ship.  That being said there might be a few guests that might.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

From what I read on-line I think/say it was meant for the ship beside it, which was Anthem of the Seas.  

That being said there is a "news" article circulating the last few days that implies that it was meant for a couple of late returning guests that missed the ship in Saint Martain.  I highly doubt that any of the officers of the watch, crew or Captain would be so calous to wave this at a guest that missed the ship.  That being said there might be a few guests that might.

Thanks, that makes sense.  I also doubt any of the crew would wave "bye" to a guest missing the ship so that pic had me a bit confused!

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Thanks, that makes sense.  I also doubt any of the crew would wave "bye" to a guest missing the ship so that pic had me a bit confused!

I agree.  When I read the "news" article seemed to play out like a normal pier runner story, except for the waving bye sign which really wasn't referenced to be directed to the runners.  They left that up to the reader's imagination.

• Like 1

I have one question that has really bothered me especially on our last cruise.  It has to do with "All Aboard" time.  If you are late for the All Aboard time, could the ship leave without you? 

Here is why I ask.  I felt cheated by what RCL puts on the Invoice for Port times vs what the reality is. They shave an hour off of the port days.  I guess I can deal with the Gangway Down times.  Stuff happens in-transit.  But the All Aboard Time was HEAVILY promoted as when you MUST be back on the ship.  They mentioned it at all sorts of events.  

Bermuda:  8:00am – 4:00pm

Gangway down:  8:30am

All Aboard:  3:30pm

Ship Departed:  3:45pm

Labadee:  9:30am - 5:00pm

Gangway down: 10:00am

All Aboard:  4:30pm

Ship Departed: 4:45pm

PR: 7:00am – 3:00pm

Gangway down: 7:30am

All Aboard:  2:30pm

Ship Departed: 2:45pm

Sint Maarten:  12:15pm – 8:00pm

Gangway down:  12:45pm

All Aboard:  7:30pm

Ship Departed: 7:50pm

• Like 1

Yea, don't miss the ship!  Definitely want to echo the sentiments about keeping the contact information of the port agent with you while off the ship.

Lastly, this thread--although old--is a good read about missing the boat in Nassau. @klfhngr seems to be a really good sport about it (what else can you do, I suppose?), and it's interesting to get the full experience... that is, without having to actually live it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fscool said:

I have one question that has really bothered me especially on our last cruise.  It has to do with "All Aboard" time.  If you are late for the All Aboard time, could the ship leave without you? 

Here is why I ask.  I felt cheated by what RCL puts on the Invoice for Port times vs what the reality is. They shave an hour off of the port days.  I guess I can deal with the Gangway Down times.  Stuff happens in-transit.  But the All Aboard Time was HEAVILY promoted as when you MUST be back on the ship.  They mentioned it at all sorts of events.  

It's all about your attitude and expectations.  Only you can manage those.

This is standard operating procedure for cruise ships.

For what it's worth, a ship often docks earlier than its scheduled time, and then can often let passengers off earlier.

And yes, all aboard time is half an hour before the captain wants to throw off the ropes and move away from the dock.

Just how many pier runners do you think there would be if they DIDN'T have that half hour cushion?!?!?!??!?

7 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

I saw the video and it appeared the officer came out the back of the bridge waving the hand at the ship next to them. From where the pier runners were I doubt they could even see it.

I agree that is my understanding too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

Yea, don't miss the ship!  Definitely want to echo the sentiments about keeping the contact information of the port agent with you while off the ship.

Lastly, this thread--although old--is a good read about missing the boat in Nassau. @klfhngr seems to be a really good sport about it (what else can you do, I suppose?), and it's interesting to get the full experience... that is, without having to actually live it!

That was an adventure that has stuck in my mind since it happened. 

It’s one reason I’m glad we’re old and don’t cruise with grandchildren any more. Nobody to try to meet up with or worry about. 

He didn't lose his head or good attitude. That helped. 

On 8/7/2019 at 2:45 PM, jagsfan said:

That was an adventure that has stuck in my mind since it happened. 

It’s one reason I’m glad we’re old and don’t cruise with grandchildren any more. Nobody to try to meet up with or worry about. 

He didn't lose his head or good attitude. That helped. 

Good times, good times, lol!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 8/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, fscool said:

yes i was very surprised our cruise in may seemed to leave every stop beforethe departure time!!

18 hours ago, Saman said:

yes i was very surprised our cruise in may seemed to leave every stop beforethe departure time!!

Once all the passengers and crew are accounted for the ship can leave.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:48 PM, fscool said:

No one seems to have an answer to your question.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, fscool said:

Yes, because the all aboard time is not the time the ship leaves, but the time they would close the Gangway in preparation for sailaway. Departure times in the itinerary are the times the ship will set sail. To set sail on time and finish all necessary preparations for this, the Gangway Needs to be closed Prior to this, thus the All aboard time. 

They will try and wait for as Long as they can, but if they have to meet an on time Departure the Gangway Needs to be closed Prior to that time. 

In many cases an Arrival in between all aboard and sailaway time will still make you getting back on the ship, but there´s no guarantee and personally I wouldn´t Chance it. 

Sometimes there is some Buffer time between Gangway closure and sailaway time, so they can make preparations in less time, so if actually everybody is there, they can depart sooner than announced if everybody made it back in time or early, just as they sometimes can wait for a bit of there are latecomers. 

On 8/7/2019 at 2:48 PM, fscool said:

To answer your question as written, yes, if you're late enough for the all aboard time, the ship could leave without you.  It seems pretty obvious to me they want all passengers and crew on board 30 minutes before departure.  Once all passengers and crew are on board and accounted for, the ship can leave. 

Or do you think since they say they're leaving at 8pm, that's your limit?  Heh... try that with the airlines.