Cruise Travel Insurance

12 hours ago, valantine80 said:

We have also had travel insurance declined on our ANZ Platinum CC for my husband's pre exisiting condiitions which do not and are unlikely to impact his day to day living and when we asked for an explanation received no response so now we don't even try. I am sure they have non medical people making these decisions.

It would seem a pretty good price for a 3 month holiday and am so pleased that it was settled for you so promptly and hassle free. Good luck

Pam.

Thanks Pam, yes Allianz are about as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.   We used ANZ Platinum Credit Card insurance quite a few times in the past when QBE was the insurer, but once Allianz took over, end of story.  Yes NRMA/Covermore were very good with our claim, mailed off the medical reports and claim forms, everything listed and 10 days later they paid out.

7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sorry to hear about your wife’s situation 

I agree with your advice and apply the same philosophy. Love the T Shirt

Thanks mate, Merry Christmas to you both.1332204061_Santa-dance1_www.free-avatars.com(1).gif.9370a3df28e60095ff2443f5565d6079.gif

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Thanks Pam, yes Allianz are about as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.   We used ANZ Platinum Credit Card insurance quite a few times in the past when QBE was the insurer, but once Allianz took over, end of story.  Yes NRMA/Covermore were very good with our claim, mailed off the medical reports and claim forms, everything listed and 10 days later they paid out.

Interesting - Allianz is the only underwiter who will cover my partner's pre-existing cardiac issues. They also paid out when he needed medivacing from China a few years ago. They had their moments when I was trying to contact them - and they  too months to finalize the claim - but basically they did pay  us out. 

12 minutes ago, lissie said:

Interesting - Allianz is the only underwiter who will cover my partner's pre-existing cardiac issues

Wow who was the insurer using them? My experience has been the same as NSWP - they don’t want to know you if you have cardiac issues - you were lucky

Im happy with Insure & Go but handy to know if there are alternatives who will offer cover 

24 minutes ago, lissie said:

Interesting - Allianz is the only underwiter who will cover my partner's pre-existing cardiac issues. They also paid out when he needed medivacing from China a few years ago. They had their moments when I was trying to contact them - and they  too months to finalize the claim - but basically they did pay  us out. 

Age and destination is also a factor, beside pre-existing condition(s.)  What I liked about NRMA/Covermore was they did an on line assessment of pre-existing conditions and then approved our insurance.   Dealing with Allianz just seemed like the bloke at the call centre said 'No, we decline to insure you,' occurred twice, one earlier this year cruise Sydney to Hawaii and time in Honolulu and this one just cancelled- cruise Sydney to Singapore on Majestic Princess, week in Singapore, cruise Singapore to Southampton, cruise Canary Islands (both on Arcadia) then a couple of weeks in UK, then flights back.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wow who was the insurer using them? My experience has been the same as NSWP - they don’t want to know you if you have cardiac issues - you were lucky

Im happy with Insure & Go but handy to know if there are alternatives who will offer cover 

We initially had a quote with Covermore (NZ)  (underwriter Zurich Insurance) who would cover his pre-existing - but he had forgotten to declare an angina attack.  When we declared this they declined to cover at all and we are now  with Allianz Partners - the underwiter is Allianz Australia.  

This is for 17 days Australia / NZ Cruise 

This is via an insurance agent. The actual insurer doesn't matter so much-  its the underwriter who controls whether  or not they wil lcover you. The other option is BUPA - but that is quite  expensive 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Age and destination is also a factor, beside pre-existing condition(s.)  What I liked about NRMA/Covermore was they did an on line assessment of pre-existing conditions and then approved our insurance.   Dealing with Allianz just seemed like the bloke at the call centre said 'No, we decline to insure you,' occurred twice, one earlier this year cruise Sydney to Hawaii and time in Honolulu and this one just cancelled- cruise Sydney to Singapore on Majestic Princess, week in Singapore, cruise Singapore to Southampton, cruise Canary Islands (both on Arcadia) then a couple of weeks in UK, then flights back.

They all do online assessments - this was done via an agent - but it was still a long form for him to fill out.  I think cruising is the highest risk category (for the insurer) up there with USA. I've found duration can be a factor - I've found perviously that I couldn't get insurance for much longer than 6 weeks - so a shorter trip is possibly easier.  H'es still under 70 - it will  be another nightmare when he reaches that number I suspect 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

No more international travel for us now as my wife is uninsurable, having a terminal illness.  Just a couple of short road trips whilst we can.

We consider ourselves lucky in that we have been to most parts of the world and been overseas just about annually since I retired aged 55 in 2003.

So Uncle Les's advice is: If you can afford it, want to do it and are fit enough to do it...Do it !!!395547914_Tshirt.jpg.2458aafc8c15be90a46b911b04a5472d.jpg

So sorry to learn this about you wife - all the best to you both. I suggest your advice about doing it when you can is spot on - DW & I have been travelling a fair bit since 2011, but I am seriously thinking of retiring & putting a focus on it - you never know what's around the corner. 

On 12/16/2019 at 10:18 AM, NSWP said:

Allianz covered my sister recently for her pre existing conditions. They paid out when she and her husband became sick just before the trip and had to cancel and rebook accomodation.

I used Insure and Go for my recent trip, after issues getting other coverage.

Simple process with the cover I needed. Numbers started spinning like a pokie machine when I typed in recent cancer treatment. Adding in recent spinal surgery added a few more spins.

Still came out around the starting point of other brand names, before adding pre-existing.

Best part, did not have to use it.

Edited by Docker123

14 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Simple process with the cover I needed. Numbers started spinning like a pokie machine when I typed in recent cancer treatment. Adding in recent spinal surgery added a few more spins.

Still came out around the starting point of other brand names, before adding pre-existing.

Sorry to hear about your health issues Adrian. Hope all is well with you now. Agree with you about Insure and Go. We were being quoted much more by other insurers but Insure and Go were excellent and we have claimed once without any issues.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

43 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Yeah amazing watching those wheels spin up and up isn’t it?

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry to hear about your health issues Adrian. Hope all is well with you now. Agree with you about Insure and Go. We were being quoted much more by other insurers but Insure and Go were excellent and we have claimed once without any issues.

Leigh

thanks Leigh. Saw cancer guy on Tuesday, very happy with progress.

saw spine guy a couple of months ago. He recommended a laminectomy (cervical spine). With the recent flight and travel, that is now receiving serious consideration.

At least I am not on the meds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:21 AM, Aus Traveller said:

We have claimed successfully under the 'free' credit card insurance and so has our son. His was for around $7,000 (hospitalization in Germany).

The ANZ bank requires you to spend at least $250 on the card before you are eligible. I did hear of someone being knocked back on their claim because their's was through NAB that required the total amount of the trip to be paid on the card. They had not paid the total amount. We were knocked back last year when we tried to claim the deposit on a land trip. We were knocked back because at the time we had not booked and paid for our return airfare to Australia. The land tour was more than a year ahead so the airfare could not be booked and having a return ticket was one of the conditions. A ticket for a cruise that returned to Australia would qualify as a return ticket.

Here is a tale about a couple who thought their Credit Card Insurance would cover them. $100,000 and counting.

13 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Here is a tale about a couple who thought their Credit Card Insurance would cover them. $100,000 and counting.

That is very straight forward - he cancelled the credit card that had cover - it’s as simple as that - no current card no cover. Why anyone would do that when they’re relying on the included insurance cover is beyond me 

He got a new AMEX card but never made a qualifying purchase on it - so no insurance cover for that one 

He really needs to look at the PDS for the product - I’m sure it clearly states you must hold the qualifying card at the time you travel - it’s certainly the case for other credit cards offering travel insurance 

Edited by Stickman1990

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The reason American Express gave for refusing to pay the high medical expenses was that, before the trip, Mr McGinty changed his credit card to one with lower fees, but that does not offer free travel insurance. When he was offered the cheaper card, surely he should have asked if it included the free travel insurance.

Mr McGinty's argument is that he should have been covered because he paid for the trip using an American Express card that did include free travel insurance. He will have to take that up legally and I hope he is covered.

When I saw the article on TV last night, I remarked to my husband that someone will bring up this case as an example of why people should not rely on the free travel insurance. BTW, it has worked well for us on the couple of occasions when we have had to claim. However, I would not change to a card with lower fees, then expect the original terms and conditions to apply.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

I agree totally that everyone should read the relevant parts of the PDF relating to any insurance. The question of eligibility for travel insurance is interesting.

Eligibility for the ANZ Platinum Visa travel insurance.

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE Who is eligible?As a cardholder you are eligible for this International Travel Insurance when you meet all of the following criteria:

1. you permanently reside in Australia or are the holder of a visa issued under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) which entitles you to residency;

2. before leaving Australia you spend at least $250 on your prepaid travel costs (i.e. your travel costs that you pay for before leaving Australia) and you charge these costs (e.g. cost of your return overseas travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or your prepaid overseas accommodation/ travel; and/or your other prepaid overseas itinerary items) to the accountholder’s card account;

3. you have a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia; and

4. you are aged eighty (80) years or under at the time you become eligible for this cover by meeting conditions 1 to 3 inclusive, listed above.

American Express: 41.Eligibility & Activation of Insurance Benefits Important: In order to be eligible for the complimentary insurance benefits, You must first purchase the full fare for a Trip, or an Eligible Item, on the AmericanExpress Platinum Credit Card Account. See the table below for details about when You are eligible for cover:

ACTIVATION OF TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER:Cover is effective when You pay the full fare for a Trip on the American Express Platinum Credit Card Account or with American Express Membership Rewards points.

On looking through the American Express PDF, I cannot see where it requires the cardholder to hold a card that includes the travel insurance at the time of the trip. If this is the case, Mr McGinty will have a good case to argue.

Comparing the two, in my opinion, the Visa card travel insurance is much better than the American Express travel insurance. On the Visa one, a person has to pay just $250 of the cost on the card, whereas the Amex requires a person to pay the full fare for the trip.

Another interesting point about the American Express travel insurance is that it does NOT cover a supplementary cardholder, where the Visa card insurances do.

Important: Supplementary Card members are not covered for Travel Insurance benefits (see on page 5). If You are a Supplementary Card member or a Supplementary Card member is travelling with You on a Trip, You should consider whether these benefits provide adequate cover. The Supplementary Card member may need to take out a separate travel insurance policy. Please keep detailed particulars and proof of any loss including, but not limited to, the sales receipt and credit card account statement showing any purchases made

Edited by Aus Traveller

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

A cautionary tale.

Yup. Read the PDF. However, I couldn't see on the AMEX PDF that they required cardholders to still hold that card at the time of travel. As Mr McGinty isn't a member of CC ☹️ we probably won't hear if he eventually gets them to cover his costs.

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yup. Read the PDF. However, I couldn't see on the AMEX PDF that they required cardholders to still hold that card at the time of travel. As Mr McGinty isn't a member of CC ☹️ we probably won't hear if he eventually gets them to cover his costs.

Better get a lawyer, better get a good one.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree totally that everyone should read the relevant parts of the PDF relating to any insurance. The question of eligibility for travel insurance is interesting.

Eligibility for the ANZ Platinum Visa travel insurance.

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE Who is eligible?As a cardholder you are eligible for this International Travel Insurance when you meet all of the following criteria:

1. you permanently reside in Australia or are the holder of a visa issued under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) which entitles you to residency;

2. before leaving Australia you spend at least $250 on your prepaid travel costs (i.e. your travel costs that you pay for before leaving Australia) and you charge these costs (e.g. cost of your return overseas travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or your prepaid overseas accommodation/ travel; and/or your other prepaid overseas itinerary items) to the accountholder’s card account;

3. you have a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia; and

4. you are aged eighty (80) years or under at the time you become eligible for this cover by meeting conditions 1 to 3 inclusive, listed above.

American Express: 41.Eligibility & Activation of Insurance Benefits Important: In order to be eligible for the complimentary insurance benefits, You must first purchase the full fare for a Trip, or an Eligible Item, on the AmericanExpress Platinum Credit Card Account. See the table below for details about when You are eligible for cover:

ACTIVATION OF TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER:Cover is effective when You pay the full fare for a Trip on the American Express Platinum Credit Card Account or with American Express Membership Rewards points.

On looking through the American Express PDF, I cannot see where it requires the cardholder to hold a card that includes the travel insurance at the time of the trip. If this is the case, Mr McGinty will have a good case to argue.

Comparing the two, in my opinion, the Visa card travel insurance is much better than the American Express travel insurance. On the Visa one, a person has to pay just $250 of the cost on the card, whereas the Amex requires a person to pay the full fare for the trip.

Another interesting point about the American Express travel insurance is that it does NOT cover a supplementary cardholder, where the Visa card insurances do.

Important: Supplementary Card members are not covered for Travel Insurance benefits (see on page 5). If You are a Supplementary Card member or a Supplementary Card member is travelling with You on a Trip, You should consider whether these benefits provide adequate cover. The Supplementary Card member may need to take out a separate travel insurance policy. Please keep detailed particulars and proof of any loss including, but not limited to, the sales receipt and credit card account statement showing any purchases made

The article doesn't state which card and insurance policy the couple have, so it's not possible to check.

However, I looked at the terms for the first card on the American Express page (Platinum), and the this is part of item 2 in terms and conditions (following the coverage listing):

Termination

Cover will be terminated if either of the following happen:

• Your American Express Platinum Card is cancelled; or

In that, it's an open and shut case that there is no coverage if the card is cancelled.

• Like 1