Do you like the Hotel Director renamed as General Manager?

fstuff1

i dont. 

when i think of general manager, i think baseball. but i still have no idea what a GM does in baseball.

thus i think General Manager as a watered down title for Hotel Director. it confuses people (ie: me) as to what he does.

wonder why NCL changed it?

and also wonder if they did any polling/testing or just 'fly by the seat of your pants' instant call by Del Rio?

• Haha 1

To be honest, I couldn't really care less what they are called, but I do think that General Manager probably fits the job a bit better than Hotel Director does. When it comes to it they are the manager of so many things that General Manager probably describes it quite well.

But they can call them what they want for all I care, they still do the same job.

• Like 4

Who cares what they call it, it's just a job title.  But, I'll play anyway...perhaps they gave the Hotel Director more duties and General Manager is a step up on the food chain.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really, the only title that is confusing is 'cruise director' who only directs the entertainment, not the cruise itself.

Changing a job title from Hotel Director to GM makes absolutely zero difference to my life.

(And a GM in baseball is responsible for personnel decisions)

4 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Really, the only title that is confusing is 'cruise director' who only directs the entertainment, not the cruise itself.

Changing a job title from Hotel Director to GM makes absolutely zero difference to my life.

(And a GM in baseball is responsible for personnel decisions)

agreed.

he should be called the Entertainment director.

i blame the show Love Boat from the 1970s. and/or Princess cruise lines :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i dont. 

when i think of general manager, i think baseball. but i still have no idea what a GM does in baseball.

thus i think General Manager as a watered down title for Hotel Director. it confuses people (ie: me) as to what he does.

and also wonder if they did any polling/testing or just 'fly by the seat of your pants' instant call by Del Rio?

Nope.  I think it was a mistake.  Hotel director fits very well on a cruise ship.  It has some panache.  General manager is just too generic.

Edited by Love my butler
  • Like 1

Another D-U-M-B move on the part of NCL - change just because change was thought to be needed.

Hotel Director was and is a perfect title

General Manager seems to be a demotion - put down - have less control

Now as for that Cruise Director title - what a confusing title conflicting with Hotel Director

That should be reclassified as Entertainment Manager

Only one Director is needed on a ship.

NCL has two Captains on its ships - The real Captain and a Staff Captain -

that really should be called an Executive Officer (EX-O)

The Captain said this - and that - which Captain said that Oh you mean the XO

Stay tuned for the next albatross blunderbuss corporate move by the Miami misdirector team !

• Like 2

I don't personally care but if I was the Hotel Director, I would consider it a demotion

In my experience:

Assistants report to managers

managers report to Directors

Directors report to Vice presidents

VP's report to CEO/Board of Directors

When I saw the title change and the HD shrugged when I asked, it made me assume that a position had been added in the Corporate office (none of my business and didn't care enough to confirm)

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i dont. 

Does anyone really care one iota what title someone else has for his job?  Seriously this has to be so low on the scale of things to even think about that it does not even make the list.  Too much time on your hands...

• Like 2

Almost all land based hotels are run by the General Manager (at least in the US)..... I don't feel that a GM title is a demotion because the GM is responsible for all aspects of operations at the hotel, to day-to-day staff management and guests.....  NCL is HQ'd in Miami it seems that they are trying to align with the hospitality industry. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

In corporate world, a new title with more duties is sometimes used in place of monetary compensation😏

Gee sorry we can't give you a raise - but we have this new nifty office title for your job.

3 hours ago, biker@sea said:

So.

Was a new insignia designed for the G.M.’s shoulder too?

Yeah the Hotel Director was and maybe still is a 4 striper - a wee thin on stripes compared to the Captain

But in the case of NCL here a General will never outrank a Captain !

We know a number of HD/GM and they do not care a less about the title as long as they have a job and get paid. Its a title that's all. In the hospitality industry and hotel will call this position the general manager!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

NCL has two Captains on its ships - The real Captain and a Staff Captain -

that really should be called an Executive Officer (EX-O)

The Captain said this - and that - which Captain said that Oh you mean the XO

Most cruise lines use the Captain/Staff Captain designation.  An XO, in Navies where the term is used, is not necessarily considered to be competent yet to command, and is considered to be training for command, and does not hold the same professional qualifications as the CO.  Both the Captain and Staff Captain hold the same maritime licenses, and many Staff Captains have held command of ships for many years. And the Staff Captain does a job far more similar to a merchant ship's Captain, than a cruise ship Captain does.

And the crew does not refer to the Staff Captain as "Captain", but as "Staff".  There are Chief Engineers, Staff Chief Engineers, and Chief Electrical Engineers, but to the crew, there is only one "Chief".

I think the title of Hotel Director/General Manager might have made more of a difference before they put the hotel supervisors in military uniform and gave them rank stripes, but with the number of stripes visible to anyone, it becomes easy to delineate the "chain of command".

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Most cruise lines use the Captain/Staff Captain designation.  An XO, in Navies where the term is used, is not necessarily considered to be competent yet to command, and is considered to be training for command, and does not hold the same professional qualifications as the CO.  Both the Captain and Staff Captain hold the same maritime licenses, and many Staff Captains have held command of ships for many years. And the Staff Captain does a job far more similar to a merchant ship's Captain, than a cruise ship Captain does.

And the crew does not refer to the Staff Captain as "Captain", but as "Staff".  There are Chief Engineers, Staff Chief Engineers, and Chief Electrical Engineers, but to the crew, there is only one "Chief".

I think the title of Hotel Director/General Manager might have made more of a difference before they put the hotel supervisors in military uniform and gave them rank stripes, but with the number of stripes visible to anyone, it becomes easy to delineate the "chain of command".

Maybe they should try the uniform and stripes thing at land-based hotels and resorts so we know the chain of command. What about at hospitals? Instead of those white lab coats the doctors could wear ranked uniforms, one stripe for an Intern, two stripes for a Resident, three stripes for a board certified Surgeon and 5 stars for the chief surgeon! 

'Enquiring minds what to know'